C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the real story with using the AFM range finder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelO
Yup, good idea, I thought of this too. A startup delay on turn-on would be nice to allow CAN Bus stabilization.
ok, you motivated me to try and prototype this. I ordered a spare cable to chop up and some parts and since I have four days off over the July 4th weekend to play with. I'll see if I can build one and get it to work reliably. I'll post a "How to" if successful.

Last edited by Flame Red; 06-28-2017 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Art17
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th year
Seems to be a lot of opinions on using this device. Some love it , some say it hurts your motor others say it voids your warranty. I sure would like to get rid of the 4V mode but unsure if its worth the risk. Anyone know the real scoop?
I am curious, was the AFM first added the the C7? Or was it also used on the C6?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Art17
I am curious, was the AFM first added the the C7? Or was it also used on the C6?
Thanks
The C6 LS3 never had the AFM crap, so no, it was never needed on the C6. That was a fine engine except for the crapulant GM OEM harmonic balancer!

Last edited by Flame Red; 06-28-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
ok, you motivated me to try and prototype this. I ordered a spare cable to chop up and some parts and since I have four days off over the July 4th weekend to play with. I'll see if I can build one and get it to work reliably. I'll post a "How to" if successful.
Cool, good luck with it
Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Flame Red
How To: Range AFM Disabler - No More Parasitic Battery Drain via Relay in Cord

Last edited by Flame Red; 07-02-2017 at 06:18 AM.
cam30era (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 03:35 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Link is no good!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry Flame Red, link does not work

Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

It would be pretty simple to modify the switched OBD-II cable with this time delay relay:
Amazon Amazon

Probably the easiest configuration is configure the timer relay for a few seconds delay to power up (allows GM modules to settle down thus avoiding CEL). Range is powered via OBD-II pin 16 (battery) so open that lead and splice the output of the relay to wire 16 feeding the Range end of the cable and supply the relay/timer with a source of ignition switched 12 volts. This way the Range module will come up after ignition is on AND whatever delay you program into the module and will shut off when the ignition is off.

On edit, here is the diagram from the relay manufacturer. Substitute switched 12 volt ignition source for the battery and wire/contact 16 of the OBD-II cable for the load. Trigger wire and configuration buttons won't be needed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by NSC5; 07-01-2017 at 06:18 PM.
cam30era (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 06:19 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ammo
Link is no good!
Sorry - fixed the link.
cam30era (07-02-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:13 PM
ddo_texas
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the power always stay on with the Range? The lights on mine, which I have had only a month, shut off when I turn the car off and come on a short time after I start the car. I haven't had any problem with battery drrain, but I do daily drive it.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM
bbdmac
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

From the Rangetechnology.com FAQ section it wakesup every 7-15 seconds and does some diags and then goes to sleep again. Here's all the details:

The Range Device does NOT draw much on the vehicle battery during normal operation. If you drive your vehicle daily (or almost daily), then this will not be a concern. However, if you drive your vehicle infrequently (i.e., only on weekends), please remove the device. It is best practice to remove the device if your vehicle will sit for anything longer than 3-4 days.

To add some more detail:

The device will go to a VERY low "sleep" state after the engine is off (within 3-10 seconds of the engine shutting off)
In this state all the LEDs are OFF and it hibernates at about 1-3mA
Every 7-15 seconds it will wake up to a "light sleep" state to check to see if the vehicle is running. In this mode, there will still be NO LEDS lit but current draw will spike for < 0.1 sec to about 7-10mA.
If the vehicle is NOT running (i.e. RPM < 500) then it'll go back to deep sleep. Rinse and repeat until the vehicle is running, at which time it'll fire up completely and you'll start seeing LEDs light again.
Given this and the normal draw from other modules (a modern vehicle will always have a small draw for the security systems, BCM, remote start/locks, OnStar, etc. .. sometimes as much a 50mA), it is recommended to reduce the risk of battery depletion by unplugging the module when the vehicle is going to be sitting for an extended period. Cold weather, weak charge state, age, etc. can all contribute to less battery capacity.

A healthy battery with decent capacity should be able to go much longer than the recommended length of time but it worth it not to come out from a 2 week vacation and find the battery dead in the airport parking lot!
ddo_texas (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:38 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

So according to Range, the battery depletion is normal part of the design and they have no intention to fix the design defiency.

Sorry Range Tech, a dead battery due to your little device 'waking up' every 7 seconds is not normal and is a defective design.

Fix it.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:15 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Oskee
Called Range Technology to order the AFM disabler. They said the newest version for my 17 C7 Z06 is the 8.2

Bad news is that they cannot ship or sell to California because it is illegal for use in our state. They did apply for a state EOD number which would allow them to ship and sell to our state but so far nothing.

Try ordering it from Amazon they may not know the CA law
Old 07-06-2017, 08:22 PM
jaybar
Racer

Got my Rang Tech device yesterday. I ordered it from Amazon with the extension cord with the on off switch. Hooked it up and good to go. Worked great till this evening. I had left it on after my ride this afternoon if that matters. Started up had a check engine light, car in limp mode started in 4 gear and would not let me shift up or down (A8). Hooked up a reader and through my phone got some code U0101,PO700,P26c8. Cleared the codes with my phone and all seemed to be well but I am concerned and hesitant to try it again. Are these codes harmless?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The typical Range CEL is caused when communications between the engine and transmission controllers are interrupted at startup. This causes the transmission to go into its protected limp mode part of which is locking into 4th gear in the forward range.

It doesn't hurt anything but it is an inconvenience. You can avoid this by turning on the Range module a few seconds after you start your car. You can also reset these CELs with recent versions of the Range module by shutting off your car, starting it, and then plugging in the Range module after it is already started. It will send a request to reset the current DTCs although the CEL may remain lit until several drive cycles are complete but the car will operate normally. Don't do this if the car has existing issues because you don't want the Range reset procedure to erase real error codes not related to the module errors at startup.
cam30era (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NSC5
The typical Range CEL is caused when communications between the engine and transmission controllers are interrupted at startup. This causes the transmission to go into its protected limp mode part of which is locking into 4th gear in the forward range.

It doesn't hurt anything but it is an inconvenience. You can avoid this by turning on the Range module a few seconds after you start your car. You can also reset these CELs with recent versions of the Range module by shutting off your car, starting it, and then plugging in the Range module after it is already started. It will send a request to reset the current DTCs although the CEL may remain lit until several drive cycles are complete but the car will operate normally. Don't do this if the car has existing issues because you don't want the Range reset procedure to erase real error codes not related to the module errors at startup.
Or try this delay relay with the switch:

How To: Range AFM Disabler – No More Parasitic Battery Drain via Relay in Cord
Old 07-08-2017, 08:11 AM
jaybar
Racer

Originally Posted by NSC5

Good info thanks, seems mine is an older version so I packed it up today printed out the postage pre paid label for the return and will send it off to be updated.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 PM
jaybar
Racer

Originally Posted by jaybar
Good info thanks, seems mine is an older version so I packed it up today printed out the postage pre paid label for the return and will send it off to be updated.

Sent it 7/8 got e-mail it was being shipped back 7/19. Great customer service.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jaybar
Sent it 7/8 got e-mail it was being shipped back 7/19. Great customer service.
There service is very fast.

I know a lot of us have become frustrated at times with the CEL issue but Range faces a tough task because there are so many configurations of the C7 with different modules initializing and communicating over the CAN buses right after a start. Even GM sometimes has problems getting it right and my 2008 CTS would sometimes require a shutdown and restart when parts of the audio system wouldn't come up in time after a start and were locked out.

Quick Reply: What's the real story with using the AFM range finder?