C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Traction Management gone!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Performance Traction Management gone!

I installed headers and had my C7 tuned. After the installation and tune the Performance Traction Management (PTM) disappeared. My C7 is an automatic with Z51 and Mag Ride.

I have the car mode in Track and push the brake hard, then push the traction control twice quickly all that happens is the Traction Control goes off.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by schilitj
I installed headers and had my C7 tuned. After the installation and tune the Performance Traction Management (PTM) disappeared. My C7 is an automatic with Z51 and Mag Ride.

I have the car mode in Track and push the brake hard, then push the traction control twice quickly all that happens is the Traction Control goes off.

I have a A&A Supercharger kit and tune and I lost the 4 cly mode! Which I don't miss! Rather have the 600 rwhp that I ended up with!
I don't need PTM because I can shred the tires at will!
With just the gas pedal!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You solved the issue the old fashion way
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

T for Touring
Tr for Track

just to be sure....
Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

It should go into competitive mode (In your display) then you should see your traction control off. But most important you should see competitive mode. Oh! why are you touching the brake first? You do that when you are ready to launch. I believe that you discontinued your mode/function when you applied the brake first. Just put it in park, then your modes.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
T for Touring
Tr for Track

just to be sure....
, got that part right
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fore58
It should go into competitive mode (In your display) then you should see your traction control off. But most important you should see competitive mode. Oh! why are you touching the brake first? You do that when you are ready to launch. I believe that you discontinued your mode/function when you applied the brake first. Just put it in park, then your modes.
OK, I'll try that and report back.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:50 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, I'll try that and report back.
nope, didn't work
Old 05-16-2014, 11:19 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for several minutes and then plug it back in and see if that solves it. You will be prompted to re-index the windows when you first start the car. Just follow the instructions on the dash when prompted. All other memory settings should be retained.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Mine is also not working.

Only thing done was the dealer re-flash to fix various software issues on early production units.

Fully optioned including Z51, 7-speed, Mag Ride.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:56 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RussM05
Mine is also not working.

Only thing done was the dealer re-flash to fix various software issues on early production units.

Fully optioned including Z51, 7-speed, Mag Ride.
See my post above. If I am not mistaken, this issue has been brought up before and if memory serves me, disconnecting the battery and allowing the system to discharge resolved the issue.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

It wasn't clear to me if the battery disconnect was purely a guess or a proven fix.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It wasn't clear to me if the battery disconnect was purely a guess or a proven fix.
I'd liken it to a hunch. It's simple to do with no risk what so ever. All of your memory settings should be retained so why not give it a try. If it works, it saves you a trip to the dealer. If it doesn't then you just wasted a few minutes. As I said, I believe I read of a similar issue and disconnecting the battery resolved the issue. Being in the computer manufacturing business, I know a bit about software updates on hardware and in many cases, clearing NVRam is required after updating bios's among other things. It's entirely possible that the dealer forgot a step after the ECM update which could be as simple as a full power cycle/reboot.

Like I said, what have you got to loose? It's not working anyway.

Last edited by slief; 05-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Allright, I went and did some homework for you guys.. It seems you may need to have some codes cleared in the ECU and or a reset performed.
If you have a code scanner, you may want to hook it up to the OBD II port and see if there are any codes you can clear that could have been generated when the dealer flashed your car. Here is a thread on the subject.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...l-battery.html

If it were me and I didn't have a scanner, the first thing I would do is disconnect the battery and let it sit as I mentioned above. That may clear the issue. That said, I have a an OBD II scan tool so if the battery didn't work, I'd scan for codes and then clear them.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

I read that in the user manual a while ago and cleared a minor DTC. No difference.

I did notice that when I press the button twice, the light for the traction control stays lit but the the active handling light is off and no performance traction handling mode.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I read that in the user manual a while ago and cleared a minor DTC. No difference.

I did notice that when I press the button twice, the light for the traction control stays lit but the the active handling light is off and no performance traction handling mode.
Did you use a scan tool to clear that code? A scan tool is what you will need if you don't have one and I'm not sure if that will solve it. Still, I'd try the battery disconnect. It takes less than a minute to disconnect the battery. Just grasp the carpet on the right rear corner of the hatch area and give it a good pull to get it out from under the trim. You don't need to remove the trim. Just pull it back enough to expose the foam cover. In case you don't know, the carpet has a semi rigid backing but it will bend just find and you damage anything.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Yes, I know how to disconnect the battery. I have HP Tuners for 6 years and tuned by C6. It has a scan function and can clear DTC.

Anyone else have a similar issue and found a solutions?

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Traction Management gone!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:26 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, I do have an OBD2 and just plugged it into the serial port. No codes showed up to be cleared.

I'm off to the golf course with my grandson, will try the battery disconnect later this weekend.

Are you sure I won't lose all of my settings? I don't want to go thru the hassle of resetting everything on the car.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

I'm bringing this thread back to life.

Right after this thread ended, I took it to the dealer and they reflashed the latest software and PTM was back.

Last week, it went away again. A bunch of error codes appeared, so I put in a new battery which solved it. But before I did that, I changed the tune and PTM disappeared.

It appears the only way to get it back is to have the dealer reflash. Will try that.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:50 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Remember that certain features will be disabled when certain codes are set. For example, if you jumpstart a Chevy, odds are you'll see messages like:

STABILITRAK DISABLED
TRACTION CONTROL DISABLED
LOTS OF STUFF DISABLED

So I wouldn't be surprised that PTM modes are disabled when other codes are thrown, and if you had a bad battery, you might have had a stack of codes set from that.

Are you sure your tune isn't setting codes (perhaps ones that have been disabled in the tune but would otherwise be required to pass OK before PTM is available)?

Quick Reply: Performance Traction Management gone!