C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which ceramic pads should I use ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Which ceramic pads should I use ?

Looking for low dust (ceramic) pads for mostly street but also occasional HPDE days. Suggestions ?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:20 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 305 Posts

I put Hawk pads on my Z. They use Hawk pads on all the Ron Fellows Corvettes @ Spring Mountain. The Ceramic Pads are Hawk Yellow Box.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Powerstop Z26 pads have become very popular with next to no dust or noise.

Last edited by Kracka; 06-09-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
...pads for mostly street but also occasional HPDE days...
IMHO, you can run a set of ceramic pads for the street.

Butt....when running a track event you must install a set of track pads.

Street pads will stop you when they're cold, and up to a reasonable temperature - but they just won't work at the high temps your brakes will experience when braking on the track. When you run street pads on the track you'll very likely get pad fade, and it's not fun when you lose brakes deep in a brake zone!!!

Track pads generally don't work well until they're heated up into their temperature operating range. When run on the street you won't get them up into their temp zone, and cold they'll just be doing "abrasive" friction - which will grind down your rotors. After you bed them in, when you heat them up into their temp operating zone they'll give you good "adherent" friction up to a LOT higher temp than street pads.

A good combination of street and track pads is the Carbotech 1521 for the street, and the XP12 or XP20 up front and XP10 in the rear.

The 1521 and XP compounds are similar such that no bedding is required when switching from street-to-track and back - just swap pads and drive.

Bottom line - use street pads for street driving, track pads when on the track!!

Don't forget to flush in a good DOT 4 brake fluid with a high boiling point before going to the track!!

Pad fade - firm brake pedal, but the pads have overheated and glazed, and you get little to no braking

Boiling brake fluid - pedal goes to the floor with no braking

The following users liked this post:
tcinla (06-12-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Looking for low dust (ceramic) pads for mostly street but also occasional HPDE days. Suggestions ?
Suggestions would be re- think your question... ceramic pads do not belong on any track especially low dust ceramic pads. That being said the exception is Carbotech brand brake pads they make a full line of ceramic race pads but they are not low dust or low noise but there compounds are compatible so you can run the street compound 1521 that is low dust and quiet and than switch to the XP series with no issues and use the same rotors.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 06-09-2017 at 03:52 PM.
tcinla (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

You are going to need two sets of brake pads for this.

For the low dust the Powerstop Z26 pads have the best results for low dust seen here; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rake-dust.html

For HPDE use you can easily swap to the Powerstop Track Day pad with no issues, these have gotten real nice results as well; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ds-review.html

Powerstop pads are MADE IN USA as well.
tcinla (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 02:17 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hint taken. I'll use separated pads meant for track use when the time comes.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 02:50 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

So, let me ask another question. Some say that while ceramic compounds are less dusty, they do not necessarily provide the best stopping power and may leave deposits on the rotor which could lead to pulsation.

So, leaving dusting aside for the moment, which pads are best for stopping power and don't chew up the rotors too fast (on the street) ?

Last edited by tcinla; 06-12-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
You are going to need two sets of brake pads for this.

For the low dust the Powerstop Z26 pads have the best results for low dust seen here; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rake-dust.html

For HPDE use you can easily swap to the Powerstop Track Day pad with no issues, these have gotten real nice results as well; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ds-review.html

Powerstop pads are MADE IN USA as well.
They are made in china not the USA
Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

So, let me ask another question. Some say that while ceramic compounds are less dusty, they do not necessarily provide the best stopping power and may leave deposits on the rotor which could lead to pulsation.

So, leaving dusting aside for the moment, which pads are best for stopping power and don't chew up the rotors too fast (on the street) ?
THIS

That being said the exception is Carbotech brand brake pads they make a full line of ceramic race pads but they are not low dust or low noise but there compounds are compatible so, you can run the street compound 1521 that is low dust and will not tear your rotors up. They are a ceramic based compound that is low dust and quiet for street use and than switch to the XP series with no issues and use the same rotors.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

CARBOTECH BRAKE PADS ARE 100% MADE IN THE USA

Old 06-12-2017, 05:05 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
PowerStop Z26 pads are made in Ohio.

That being said the exception is Carbotech brand brake pads they make a full line of ceramic race pads but they are NOT low dust or low noise but there compounds are compatible so, you can run the street compound 1521 that is low dust and will not tear your rotors up. They are a ceramic based compound that is low dust and quiet for street use and than switch to the XP series with no issues and use the same rotors.
So, you still have to change the pads. Just like using PowerStop brand pads.

Today 01:17 PM
Powerstop Z26 or StopTech Sport. Either will give you better/equal than OE performance. The big issue with using these pads for track use is that they won't hold-up past a few labs and will need a cool down lap or two. Plus they will wear quickly compared to a track pad. Track oriented pads tend to also make noise when daily driving.

Keep in mind also that you can get a set of PowerStops or Stoptechs (all 4 corners) for less than the fronts for Carbotech.
https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-item...eet+Brake+Pads has a solid list of street pads. I have used the Porterfield R4S on a track duty car (not a Corvette application), SOLID pads with good bite and reasonably low dust. But some minor squeaks on cold mornings. Pricey though as well.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

With the bobcat 1521, is it the same on slotted rotors (dba 4000) or do slotted rotors reduce pad life? Also how do they compare with porterfield R4S (other than price) ?

THIS

That being said the exception is Carbotech brand brake pads they make a full line of ceramic race pads but they are not low dust or low noise but there compounds are compatible so, you can run the street compound 1521 that is low dust and will not tear your rotors up. They are a ceramic based compound that is low dust and quiet for street use and than switch to the XP series with no issues and use the same rotors.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

CARBOTECH BRAKE PADS ARE 100% MADE IN THE USA

Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
PowerStop Z26 pads are made in Ohio.

So, you still have to change the pads. Just like using PowerStop brand pads.

Powerstop Z26 or StopTech Sport. Either will give you better/equal than OE performance. The big issue with using these pads for track use is that they won't hold-up past a few labs and will need a cool down lap or two. Plus they will wear quickly compared to a track pad. Track oriented pads tend to also make noise when daily driving.

Keep in mind also that you can get a set of PowerStops or Stoptechs (all 4 corners) for less than the fronts for Carbotech.
https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-item...eet+Brake+Pads has a solid list of street pads. I have used the Porterfield R4S on a track duty car (not a Corvette application), SOLID pads with good bite and reasonably low dust. But some minor squeaks on cold mornings. Pricey though as well.
Really where in OHIO LOL? Do you see where I am from?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

With the bobcat 1521, is it the same on slotted rotors (dba 4000) or do slotted rotors reduce pad life? Also how do they compare with porterfield R4S (other than price) ?
Any slotted rotor is going to reduce pad life think of it as a cheese grader. The 1521 last 2-3 times longer than OE and if you are tracking the car I would stick to plain face rotors. I will say Dba makes a good rotor and Carbotech's material works great on them. Carbotech and Dba have a great relationship with each other.

I do not know much about the R4S sorry.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. I read somewhere in my research that he 1521 doesn't require the bed in process but that seems counter-intuitive to other resources : http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#bedding4

is it true or do the 1521's require bed in / burnishing as well. BTW, thanks for taking the time. I'll be ordering from you for your effort.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:58 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

So are IBM computers, most TVs and every Apple product... along with a of things that require a lot more technical skill than a brake pad. What's your point?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Thanks. I read somewhere in my research that he 1521 doesn't require the bed in process but that seems counter-intuitive to other resources : http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#bedding4

is it true or do the 1521's require bed in / burnishing as well. BTW, thanks for taking the time. I'll be ordering from you for your effort.
You are really overthinking this. Buy the damn 1521, and see if you like them. They aren't that expensive for you $80K car...

(Ps I have them, and they are GREAT street pads. Z51 with slotted rotors.)

Get notified of new replies

To Which ceramic pads should I use ?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

That bedding procedure is only for AX-Series & XP-Series Compounds. The 1521 series does not require bedding.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:57 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I know... I always go down the rabbit hole on everything. But you know they very old saying : Caveat Emptor...

Originally Posted by rrsperry
You are really overthinking this. Buy the damn 1521, and see if you like them. They aren't that expensive for you $80K car...

(Ps I have them, and they are GREAT street pads. Z51 with slotted rotors.)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Kenneth Dantley Jr.
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran Carbotech XP20/XP12 on my Challenger SRT8 for a couple years, left them on for street use. They were obnoxiously loud on the street, awesome on the track. Have a set ordered for my Z06, but I plan to swap back to Brembo pads for the street. They won't be here in time for my track day this weekend, so I will get to see what the stock pads do on the track the first time, and compare to the one in July when I get them.

Quick Reply: Which ceramic pads should I use ?