C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grind from first to second in my 2016 M7

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Batterycharger
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grind from first to second in my 2016 M7

I have a slight grind from first to second gear. I was told it would get better with mileage. I am now at 3500 miles and it might be a little better but still doing it. I have read that some of my C7 brothers and sisters have solved that problem with the installation of a MGW short throw shifter. If that is the case could my issue be an out of adjustment factory shifter? I have purchased a MGW, but have not put it in, due to concerns about the factory warranty on the car. This is the only beef I have my my C7 and would like to see the problem go away. Any thought's or advice would be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Aligning the shifter made a nice improvement in my car, as did replace the factory rubber bushings and transmission fluid. Here are a few of my related threads:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-service.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-shifter.html
Old 06-09-2017, 02:32 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I would get it checked under warranty before you put the MGW in.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Are you disengaging the clutch completely when making the shift? Cold transmissions will nibble the gears on the 1-2 shift for a half mile to a mile after the engine is started and the car starts moving.

Bill
Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Batterycharger
I have a slight grind from first to second gear. I was told it would get better with mileage. I am now at 3500 miles and it might be a little better but still doing it. I have read that some of my C7 brothers and sisters have solved that problem with the installation of a MGW short throw shifter. If that is the case could my issue be an out of adjustment factory shifter? I have purchased a MGW, but have not put it in, due to concerns about the factory warranty on the car. This is the only beef I have my my C7 and would like to see the problem go away. Any thought's or advice would be appreciated. thanks
Mine was doing this and my dealer found the transmission 1/2 qt low....and yes, it made a difference!!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Several folks in other posts about this have reported the trans being low from the factory.

I changed my fluid at 700 miles or so,and it was about 1/3 to 1/2 qt low.

Sometimes a better fluid will help also.

\db2
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Batterycharger
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default First to second grind

Originally Posted by dbaker
Several folks in other posts about this have reported the trans being low from the factory.

I changed my fluid at 700 miles or so,and it was about 1/3 to 1/2 qt low.

Sometimes a better fluid will help also.

\db2
My C7 is at the dealer now. They said they want to align the shifter. I told them to check the trans fluid level as well. Should have back this afternoon. keeping my fingers crossed. Will let you all know.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

My C7 is at the dealer now. They said they want to align the shifter. I told them to check the trans fluid level as well. Should have back this afternoon. keeping my fingers crossed. Will let you all know.

When I picked up my C6, I moved the car 10", stopped, backed up and asked for the mechanic. I said the clutch chattered. I got a new clutch and the supporting pieces.

Your NEW car should not grind gears, period. There is NO break-in period for the gear grinding to go away. They need to fix the issue.

Elmer
Old 06-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Batterycharger
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default first to second grind

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
When I picked up my C6, I moved the car 10", stopped, backed up and asked for the mechanic. I said the clutch chattered. I got a new clutch and the supporting pieces.

Your NEW car should not grind gears, period. There is NO break-in period for the gear grinding to go away. They need to fix the issue.

Elmer
Getting ready to pick up car up at the dealer. They said my trans lube was full and that the alignment of my took care of the problem. Will let you know.
The following users liked this post:
dbaker (06-29-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 a trans either works right or it doesnt.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:38 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

Are they doing this under warranty?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Batterycharger
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Trans shift

Originally Posted by VinceBlack
Are they doing this under warranty?
Yes they are doing under warranty car only has 3600 miles on the clock. The good news is that it is better. Still a little (slight) grind when cold. Think I am going wait a little longer and see.
The following users liked this post:
VinceBlack (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:31 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes they are doing under warranty car only has 3600 miles on the clock. The good news is that it is better. Still a little (slight) grind when cold. Think I am going wait a little longer and see.

Good deal, I'm glad there was some resolution to the situation. I'm gonna have them do the same thing with mine and see if we can't eliminate it. Fluid swap is probably in order as well.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:37 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default In the end...MGW

Mine just hit 3,100 miles and the MGW went in today. Amsoil synthetic at 700 miles helped some, and I considered adjusting the stock shifter since it's an easy thing to do. Glad I swapped it out instead, it's a small price to pay for a dramatic change in shift quality. The 1-2-3-4 patterns are a flick of the wrist.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

This is perfectly normal. Don't beat yourself up about it.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Batterycharger
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Grind

Originally Posted by Citation
This is perfectly normal. Don't beat yourself up about it.
Went ahead and installed the MGW shifter. WOW at a difference. Helped the first to second shift as well. Where "other than the dealer" would you suggest to get the trans fluid changed to synthetic? Thanks
Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Went ahead and installed the MGW shifter. WOW at a difference. Helped the first to second shift as well. Where "other than the dealer" would you suggest to get the trans fluid changed to synthetic? Thanks
In your garage... Not a difficult job to drain and change the transmission fluid. You just need a pump or method to refill.
I put the fill tube through the fluid cap along with a tube to my air compressor so I could just use compressed air to push the fluid up and into the transmission and differential.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:15 PM
vtmike24
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '14 Z51 M7 is at the dealer right now for the same issue. Mine was difficult to get into 1st and reverse and would periodically grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Still waiting to hear back. This is the 3rd time I've taken it to the dealer. The first two times they said they couldn't replicate the problem.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:43 PM
vtmike24
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtmike24
My '14 Z51 M7 is at the dealer right now for the same issue. Mine was difficult to get into 1st and reverse and would periodically grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Still waiting to hear back. This is the 3rd time I've taken it to the dealer. The first two times they said they couldn't replicate the problem.
Once again the dealer said they can't replicate the problem. They told me their GM Certified Master Mechanic said "it shifted beautifully". I laughed out loud when they said that. I have driven a manual my entire life and never had any issues. I know I'm not crazy. Thinking about buying the MGW shifter to see if it helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Grind from first to second in my 2016 M7

Quick Reply: Grind from first to second in my 2016 M7