C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on track prep

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:33 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Question on track prep

Finished track prep for 2 day HPDE at Watkins Glen next week

I've done it dozens of times but never with a Corvette and never with a dry sump oiling system.

I always used to add additional 1/2 qt oil to insure against oil starvation in big corners. Seems not necessary with the dry sump. True?

Also used to fill the brake fluid reservoir just to between min and max to avoid blowing out the cap under the high heat and pressure.... even with new cap.

With these old eyes it took 3 tries just to find the max fill level on the brake fluid.

Should I fill the RBF 600 to the max or a little less?

Thanks guys, as always, value your counsel
Old 06-11-2017, 05:11 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

I have never had any problem with oil level at the correct fill (1/4 up on the hashes, lost no oil in 10+ track days). I wouldn't put another 1/2 qt in as likely that will overfill and send it to the intake. I bleed the brakes every 2 or 3 track days. Usually it comes out to exactly 1 pint put back in to be close to max. With a supercharged car, i think I am running pretty hard:

The following users liked this post:
blueray16 (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

IIRC, the Owner Manual says to run 1/2 qt over full for track use, then drain back to full for street driving.
Since it's hard be sure how level the car is in the pits, I would got for anywhere between Full and 1/4 qt over full. The dry sump cars don't seem to be having problems with oil starvation in curves, that I can find.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:49 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

With dry sump you generally don't want to overfill. I've seen them burp significant amounts of oil into the intake. But do absolutely make sure it's full.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

OK, I filled the dry sump with my normal 9.5 Qts (Mobil 1,15W50 )which is right about mid way on the cross hatched section of the dipstick.

Motul RBF 600 brake fluid is right at the max fill line.

Alignment is done.

All set for the Glen next Monday.
BrunoTheMellow (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 03:06 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I think the 1/2 quart overfill is a GM CYA for someone burning through tank after tank of gas on an open track day or endurance racing. Most HPDE sessions are only 20-30 mins. I added a splash (maybe 1/4 quart) after the first day (4 sessions) to make sure it was fully topped off for the second day but not over filled. It didn't really seem to burn anything so I'm just going to keep it at the full mark and check it at lunch and at the end of the day.
daleong (06-12-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by blueray16
Finished track prep for 2 day HPDE at Watkins Glen next week

I've done it dozens of times but never with a Corvette and never with a dry sump oiling system.

I always used to add additional 1/2 qt oil to insure against oil starvation in big corners. Seems not necessary with the dry sump. True?

Also used to fill the brake fluid reservoir just to between min and max to avoid blowing out the cap under the high heat and pressure.... even with new cap.

With these old eyes it took 3 tries just to find the max fill level on the brake fluid.

Should I fill the RBF 600 to the max or a little less?

Thanks guys, as always, value your counsel
GM says to fill with Mobil 1 15W50 and to fill one half quart over full. That means you are putting 10.3 quarts of oil in the system. Do it. You can get all sorts of yimmering and yammering on this subject but the car is covered by the warranty if you do what they say, so DO IT.

As for the brake fluid that min max level is hard to see no matter how good your eyes are. If your pads are new then fill to the max since you can put your finger on the line and sort of get an idea where it is related to fluid level. That way if you change pads while at the track you can push the pistons all the way back and not have brake fluid come out of the reservoir. I just rebled mine after a 3 day weekend at the Glen. I will be going to VIR for 3 more days this weekend so I noted the level on the reservoir and bled the calipers and made sure the level was back to the same point. That way if I wear out the pads at VIR I can push the pistons back in and the fluid won't over flow.

Even when at the full mark I never had the fluid leak out of the reservoir. If you get leakage there is something wrong with the cap or the reservoir.

Bill
tcmc5 (06-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Question on track prep

Quick Reply: Question on track prep