C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Brake Fluid change

I'll be swapping lines and pads and also replacing the DOT3 with DOT4 fluid. How many quarts does it take to completely replace the fluid on both axles ?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I just did my Z06 this morning doing the prep for the Nat'l Corvette Museum HPDE at VIR next week.

I used exactly one liter of Castrol SRF getting the bleed done, but the reservoir was down at the "min" line, so I added a couple more ounces.

So....I'd say get at least 1-1/2 quarts/liters and you'll have enough for a good flush.

Edit: I just read your post again, and see you'll apparently be replacing the hoses. You'll lose a little more fluid when you remove/replace them. If doing that I'd make sure I had at least 2 quarts/liters - maybe more.

However, my recommendation is to stick with the stock hoses - they are very good!!

I put stainless hoses on my C6 Z06 - I noticed absolutely no difference in the pedal or braking effectiveness. I've run the stock brake lines on my ZR1 and C7 Z06, and get excellent pedal feel, brake modulation, and braking effectiveness.

Many owners have problems getting aftermarket hoses threaded onto the stock lines - I guess it depends on whose aftermarket hoses you get.

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-19-2017 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tcinla (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Thanks. I went with Speigler for the hoses.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I just did my Z06 this morning doing the prep for the Nat'l Corvette Museum HPDE at VIR next week.

I used exactly one liter of Castrol SRF getting the bleed done, but the reservoir was down at the "min" line, so I added a couple more ounces.

So....I'd say get at least 1-1/2 quarts/liters and you'll have enough for a good flush.

Edit: I just read your post again, and see you'll apparently be replacing the hoses. You'll lose a little more fluid when you remove/replace them. If doing that I'd make sure I had at least 2 quarts/liters - maybe more.

However, my recommendation is to stick with the stock hoses - they are very good!!

I put stainless hoses on my C6 Z06 - I noticed absolutely no difference in the pedal or braking effectiveness. I've run the stock brake lines on my ZR1 and C7 Z06, and get excellent pedal feel, brake modulation, and braking effectiveness.

Many owners have problems getting aftermarket hoses threaded onto the stock lines - I guess it depends on whose aftermarket hoses you get.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid change

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid change