C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine Power warning at track

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 AM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
The tune in the VE table running out too lean on the top end. Also one of the other tables other than in the VE will do the same thing on the power being dropped. I am no tuner at all but have had my problems in the c5 with diff tuners that said they were a tuner.

I also know the c7 is a big diff's in the tuning with the computers in this car plus the DI inj on them.
Got it thank you. i know i could fix this but GM needs to. We as owners of high end track cars should not have to worry about voiding a warranty due to making proper tuning adjustments in a car that should be capable of 190 mph+ off the showroom floor!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
Got it thank you. i know i could fix this but GM needs to. We as owners of high end track cars should not have to worry about voiding a warranty due to making proper tuning adjustments in a car that should be capable of 190 mph+ off the showroom floor!
If you have a full stock car yes 100% I would take it back 10 times are until they got it correct by what they are telling us what the car will do. Robert
Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Glockaddict7
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Same issue yesterday

I had the same issue yesterday in my 2017 z06 with m7. Bone stock except a Bms drop in air filter. Car has 1485 miles on it.

I wish i was on the track when I had a problem. I was in "Mexico" on a tollway. trooper was hiding under a bridge; I cruised up at 90 mph. He of course tried to pull me over. I started rowing the gear when I hit 165 mph my car said reduced power. I kept hammering it for another mile or so it wouldn't go over 156 mph. Then trooper #2 entered. Luckily the first trooper was a 1/2 mile back. Trooper #2 had some else pulled over I took the exit 300 ft in front of him. Tested brakes out! Continued rowing the gears and got away but wtf. I spent $70k on this car and I barely got away with no boost.

i called on star when I was clear they said it was a misfire code.

Last edited by Glockaddict7; 06-23-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:10 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by Glockaddict7
I had the same issue yesterday in my 2017 z06 with m7. Bone stock except a Bms drop in air filter. Car has 1485 miles on it.

I wish i was on the track when I had a problem. I was in "Mexico" on a tollway. trooper was hiding under a bridge; I cruised up at 90 mph. He of course tried to pull me over. I started rowing the gear when I hit 165 mph my car said reduced power. I kept hammering it for another mile or so it wouldn't go over 156 mph. Then trooper #2 entered. Luckily the first trooper was a 1/2 mile back. Trooper #2 had some else pulled over I took the exit 300 ft in front of him. Tested brakes out! Continued rowing the gears and got away but wtf. I spent $70k on this car and I barely got away with no boost.

i called on star when I was clear they said it was a misfire code.
Did they tell you the exact code? Do you have build-up on your exhaust tips? I still think i just need GM to agree to increasing the AFR just a touch.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:31 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Did they tell you the exact code? Do you have build-up on your exhaust tips? I still think i just need GM to agree to increasing the AFR just a touch.
Call me at (918) 630-4544 as I think I have some good news but need to talk.

Rick
Old 06-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Glockaddict7
Advanced

No onstar didn't tell me crap; just some long intake system blah blah... misfire. yes there's quite a bit of stuff on my exhaust. Only the outside two tips they are black. The inside tips are pretty clean.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:25 PM
goshendad
Racer

No onstar didn't tell me crap; just some long intake system blah blah... misfire. yes there's quite a bit of stuff on my exhaust. Only the outside two tips they are black. The inside tips are pretty clean.
ok. Well, between a few of us hopefully Chevy will solve the issue. I go to Service on Tuesday and they know i want them to call the Engineers in Pontiac Michigan before re-setting any codes.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Glockaddict7
Advanced

ok. Well, between a few of us hopefully Chevy will solve the issue. I go to Service on Tuesday and they know i want them to call the Engineers in Pontiac Michigan before re-setting any codes.
i am getting this right? Only 4 people on the forum have actually driven there 17 z06 to 170 mph? Are all 4 of us m7's?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:37 PM
goshendad
Racer

i am getting this right? Only 4 people on the forum have actually driven there 17 z06 to 170 mph? Are all 4 of us m7's?
maybe 5? Another guy at Pocono on Wednesday had the exact same issue with his 2016 Automatic 3LZ. All his temps were fine. All i know is that i paid for a car capable of 195 mph or so and i wont stand for anything less. i will most likely never get it that fast but i dont want to worry about a stupid check engine light and reduced power mode on the track.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Glockaddict7
Advanced

maybe 5? Another guy at Pocono on Wednesday had the exact same issue with his 2016 Automatic 3LZ. All his temps were fine. All i know is that i paid for a car capable of 195 mph or so and i wont stand for anything less. i will most likely never get it that fast but i dont want to worry about a stupid check engine light and reduced power mode on the track.
Track or in Mexico drug running lol. Either way this thing needs to perform. Drug running at 156 mph is unacceptable!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I've been having similar issue...

After only a few laps... not heat related... but under heavy load... hard road track acceleration, short shifting at @ 5,800 rpm.

When it first did this it didn't specify the MAP sp I thought it might be IC pump cavitation. Dealer drained and purged the IC reservoir of excess air. Took car back to track to test and this is what happened. Car is scheduled to go back to dealer Monday.

Many others have had similar issues. There are several GM TB's.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Questar
I've been having similar issue...

After only a few laps... not heat related... but under heavy load... hard road track acceleration, short shifting at @ 5,800 rpm.

When it first did this it didn't specify the MAP sp I thought it might be IC pump cavitation. Dealer drained and purged the IC reservoir of excess air. Took car back to track to test and this is what happened. Car is scheduled to go back to dealer Monday.

Many others have had similar issues. There are several GM TB's.
What year is your car? I'm only aware of one TSB and it's not applicable to what I and others I'm conversing are experiencing. The TSB I saw instructs dealers to check for a broken valve spring. I guarantee I, nor the others have a broken spring.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
What year is your car? I'm only aware of one TSB and it's not applicable to what I and others I'm conversing are experiencing. The TSB I saw instructs dealers to check for a broken valve spring. I guarantee I, nor the others have a broken spring.
I've seen that one too... I don't believe my issue is related to broken valve spring either. There is a thread on the forum where another fellow had this issue and it tracked back to a broken connection related to the air cleaner system.

There is also an extensive thread from GSpeed where they determined there is a design flaw with the IC cooling system, causing the pump to cavitate and shut down entirely for 3 minutes at a time... when that happens the engine will throw a P0106 code and "Engine Power Reduced" but water temp and oil temps are fine and the code doesn't actually specify anything about MAP or other fault... just the code number.

My car is a 2017 Z07 A8 convertible. I have a friend who ran his 2015 Z06 A8 coupe at the track with me a couple weeks ago and he had same issues... he experiences high temps running in "D"... Reduced Power messages even when temps weren't excessive. He pushes his car harder than I do and his issues were much worse than mine (more frequent) but essentially similar.

Mark
Old 06-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Glockaddict7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Questar
I've seen that one too... I don't believe my issue is related to broken valve spring either. There is a thread on the forum where another fellow had this issue and it tracked back to a broken connection related to the air cleaner system.

There is also an extensive thread from GSpeed where they determined there is a design flaw with the IC cooling system, causing the pump to cavitate and shut down entirely for 3 minutes at a time... when that happens the engine will throw a P0106 code and "Engine Power Reduced" but water temp and oil temps are fine and the code doesn't actually specify anything about MAP or other fault... just the code number.

My car is a 2017 Z07 A8 convertible. I have a friend who ran his 2015 Z06 A8 coupe at the track with me a couple weeks ago and he had same issues... he experiences high temps running in "D"... Reduced Power messages even when temps weren't excessive. He pushes his car harder than I do and his issues were much worse than mine (more frequent) but essentially similar.

Mark
what the hell. If I would have known about all the crap I wouldn't have bought this car. Now I regret selling my 2009 997.1 6spd turbo. An 8 year old car with 30k miles literally leaps and bounds ahead of a brand new supposed supercar. I haven't even changed the oil from the factory fill yet.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Not worth much, but my guess is that since this happens at speed and not on dynos, it's because the mass of air being ingested by the MAF exceeds limits of what they expected, or what the MAF can actually meter.

Basically, it's an "assert", saying that "We'll never see more than X grams/sec of air or something must be wrong", and then you get the motor at peak torque with cool air plus ram air effect and it exceeds that anticipated limit, and the code is thrown.

I think this because I remember having to fix a bug in my C4LT1 computer. There was an assert that said "Wheel speed sensor will only increase at rate of X" but my car was eventually faster than that, so it threw a code and wouldn't upshift.

The problem with this theory is that cars that have been modified would be taking in even MORE air, if they're making much more power, so they should hit that too, but don't seem to.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:19 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Not worth much, but my guess is that since this happens at speed and not on dynos, it's because the mass of air being ingested by the MAF exceeds limits of what they expected, or what the MAF can actually meter.

Basically, it's an "assert", saying that "We'll never see more than X grams/sec of air or something must be wrong", and then you get the motor at peak torque with cool air plus ram air effect and it exceeds that anticipated limit, and the code is thrown.

I think this because I remember having to fix a bug in my C4LT1 computer. There was an assert that said "Wheel speed sensor will only increase at rate of X" but my car was eventually faster than that, so it threw a code and wouldn't upshift.

The problem with this theory is that cars that have been modified would be taking in even MORE air, if they're making much more power, so they should hit that too, but don't seem to.
it will be interesting to see what they find. I could get my friends at ECS put an intake in it and tune it and I feel confident the problem goes away but I won't touch it. GM should set a tune more rich in fuel. I don't care about MPG!!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Glockaddict7
Advanced

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

the reason why this doesn't happen on a dyno. The dyno maxes out at 150 mph. Meaning everyone is on the dyno in 4th gear. There's only 4 dynos that this could be tested on and since software updates don't allow pulls over 150 there's no 5 th gear pulls to test. Maybe someone can call dyno jet and fix this.

This is issue is happening on a 5th gear pull!

Last edited by Glockaddict7; 07-05-2017 at 02:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
goshendad (06-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power warning at track

Old 06-24-2017, 05:27 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Any Grandsports have this issue? Or is it only Z06's so far? I've been 155 mph in my M7 GS with no issues. But that's it so far.

Last edited by rb185afm; 06-24-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:12 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Any Grandsports have this issue? Or is it only Z06's so far? I've been 155 mph in my M7 GS with no issues. But that's it so far.
not sure so far just Z06's.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
2014 z51 A6 car been 163 mph with no problems. But also not on a track & coolant temp was good in the car. Robert

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power warning at track