C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine Power warning at track

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:24 PM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
2014 z51 A6 car been 163 mph with no problems. But also not on a track & coolant temp was good in the car. Robert
yes it appears at 167 or 168 and not at slower speeds.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:42 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Check your fuses. We had a car do the same thing, and ended up being the MAF fuse. Weird.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
The following users liked this post:
goshendad (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM
Glockaddict7
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Check your fuses. We had a car do the same thing, and ended up being the MAF fuse. Weird.
any more details exactly which fuse you are talking about?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by GSpeed
I will tell them thanks.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM
goshendad
Racer

Had car at GM Service today. Code was P01060. Pontiac Michigan was contacted, Checked valve spring and intake runner per PIP5423. All good. Resolution: Replace Supercharger!! I am told that originally they thought a faulty MAP sensor would fix the problem but Tech Center is now saying no. Replacing the Supercharger has solved the issue per GM! They have to get their hands on one for me first. Assuming this will happen quick and my next Pocono track date is July 12th so time will tell if this fixes the "Reduced Engine Power" problem at 168mph.
Tampa Tuning (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:53 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I'd love to know the logic/diagnostic-reasoning behind the Supercharger causing it... did they offer any?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'd love to know the logic/diagnostic-reasoning behind the Supercharger causing it... did they offer any?
they did not but I will be asking that question next time I talk to GM Executive office contact who is helping me.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
Wow. Rare issue... Haven't seen this before. It got too hot??
Not rare at all my 2017 m7 has thrown a code 4 out of 4 times at track within 12-15 minutes.The car is a P.O.S. and Chevy knows it.I hope this Class Action suit nails them.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:59 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
Not rare at all my 2017 m7 has thrown a code 4 out of 4 times at track within 12-15 minutes.The car is a P.O.S. and Chevy knows it.I hope this Class Action suit nails them.
I'm not sure you read this thread before offering your "contribution". I could be wrong. What track are you running where your car throws a P0106 MAP code when going exactly 167 MPH in 5th at ~4,950 rpm?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:59 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
What code? 12-15 minutes? Temp related? Speed related? IMO the class action lawsuit is bullshit. I owned a 2016 Z06, tracked it a dozen times HARD and never had an overheating issue. This lawsuit isn't about the owners. It's some greedy lawyers looking to make some money. People who have never tracked their car OR who have NEVER had an overheating issue are signing on the dotted line. GM has supported me so far and although I'm a little frustrated I will remain confident that they will fix this. It's fun driving on a super speedway like Pocono and lapping the BMW's, Fords, Challengers and Porsche's. I will stick with this team for now.
The following 5 users liked this post by goshendad:
BEZ06 (06-29-2017), Bill Dearborn (07-03-2017), LagunaSecaZ06 (07-06-2017), rikhek (06-29-2017), Toysrus (08-21-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have been having an intermittent drop off in power that has occurred at the last 3 track events. At the Glen it occurred after 2.5 days of hard running and during last session the power would be down on one lap and back up on the next lap. At VIR the following weekend it also occurred at the end of 2.5 days and then it occurred after lunch on Monday at the VIR NCM event and continued until after lunch on Tuesday and then went away. I was hopping the GM Engineers would get a chance to data log what was happening but the car started running fine again and it didn't make sense to push them to data log nothing. When this first occurred last year at the Glen I thought it was due to the tires slipping on all 4 wheels and causing enough vibration the knock sensor was pulling timing. However, on Tuesday morning of the NCM event the engine ran fine for three laps after it warmed up and I suddenly felt the power go away as I rolled onto the throttle coming out of South Bend and going down the hill. It felt like the rear tires were slipping but it did the same thing coming out of the Oak Tree which is the next turn. At about 60 mph in 3rd the acceleration just seemed to reduce some. When it was doing this my top speed at the end of the back straight was dropping from 10 to 15 mph depending on what cars were in front of me. There were ones that I normally had no trouble passing that suddenly took much longer to pass.

There were no codes, no warning messages and the coolant and oil temps were in the mid 210s and mid 250s. Still one of the fastest cars on track so not a limp home type of thing where you become a hazard due to slow speed.

Bill
LagunaSecaZ06 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 06:05 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Bill, any chance you're getting some belt slip? If you logged MAP, you could check, just a guess based on the description...
Old 07-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have been having an intermittent drop off in power that has occurred at the last 3 track events. At the Glen it occurred after 2.5 days of hard running and during last session the power would be down on one lap and back up on the next lap. At VIR the following weekend it also occurred at the end of 2.5 days and then it occurred after lunch on Monday at the VIR NCM event and continued until after lunch on Tuesday and then went away. I was hopping the GM Engineers would get a chance to data log what was happening but the car started running fine again and it didn't make sense to push them to data log nothing. When this first occurred last year at the Glen I thought it was due to the tires slipping on all 4 wheels and causing enough vibration the knock sensor was pulling timing. However, on Tuesday morning of the NCM event the engine ran fine for three laps after it warmed up and I suddenly felt the power go away as I rolled onto the throttle coming out of South Bend and going down the hill. It felt like the rear tires were slipping but it did the same thing coming out of the Oak Tree which is the next turn. At about 60 mph in 3rd the acceleration just seemed to reduce some. When it was doing this my top speed at the end of the back straight was dropping from 10 to 15 mph depending on what cars were in front of me. There were ones that I normally had no trouble passing that suddenly took much longer to pass.

There were no codes, no warning messages and the coolant and oil temps were in the mid 210s and mid 250s. Still one of the fastest cars on track so not a limp home type of thing where you become a hazard due to slow speed.

Bill
I had this issue as well... in my case it was caused by cavitation of the IC pump which in turn results in the pump being shut down for 180 seconds and when that happens intake air temps shootup and the car reduces power (spark) but does NOT throw a code or go into actual limp mode... you just seem to lose power to a degree. Temps all read fine... car will drive but power is reduced... after 180 seconds the IC pump starts up again... intake air begins to cool again and power returns.

The issue is caused by air in the IC reservoir. I had my dealer bleed as much air out of my system as they could and so far my issue seems to have temporarily disappeared, but I don't think it's fixed.

There is a detailed thread on this that was started by GSpeed who documented this issue last year.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:21 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

You are a candidate to get the intercooler reservoir drained then vacuum filled. I bet you have a big bubble on top of the reservoir.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Found the PDR file from the last track day where I had the car go into "Engine Power Reduced" and it threw a P0106 MAP code.

The session was a bit longer than the clip shown here. What you see is Lap 5 and then at the end of Lap 6 the car reduces power for no apparent reason.

Here are the engine stats...

Old 07-06-2017, 11:41 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by Questar
Found the PDR file from the last track day where I had the car go into "Engine Power Reduced" and it threw a P0106 MAP code.

The session was a bit longer than the clip shown here. What you see is Lap 5 and then at the end of Lap 6 the car reduces power for no apparent reason.

https://youtu.be/WLkeb8CoOH0

Here are the engine stats...

That sucks. hopefully a quick fix. Mine shut down at 167.1mph with all temps fine like you. GM will be changing the Supercharger next week. They claim that will fix the issue. Same code thrown.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 AM
ArcticZ1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
That sucks. hopefully a quick fix. Mine shut down at 167.1mph with all temps fine like you. GM will be changing the Supercharger next week. They claim that will fix the issue. Same code thrown.
Interested in seeing if a defective supercharger is the culprit. I too am suffering from the same issue and am taking the car to the dealer today. Let's see what they diagnose.

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power warning at track

Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by ArcticZ1
Interested in seeing if a defective supercharger is the culprit. I too am suffering from the same issue and am taking the car to the dealer today. Let's see what they diagnose.
Supercharger is in! Replacing Tuesday, POCONO track day Wednesday. We will know pretty quick! FYI- another member has the same issue and Dealer replaced his MAP sensors. Did NOT work!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:09 AM
ArcticZ1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
Supercharger is in! Replacing Tuesday, POCONO track day Wednesday. We will know pretty quick! FYI- another member has the same issue and Dealer replaced his MAP sensors. Did NOT work!
Awesome keep us posted!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockaddict7
the reason why this doesn't happen on a dyno. The dyno maxes out at 150 mph. Meaning everyone is on the dyno in 4th gear. There's only 4 dynos that this could be tested on and since software updates don't allow pulls over 150 there's no 5 th gear pulls to test. Maybe someone can call dyno jet and fix this.

This is issue is happening on a 5th gear pull!
Plenty of dynos go well in excess of 150. My 4th gear goes to 175mph and no issues doing that on a dyno. 200+ on a dyno is not uncommon depending on brand.

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power warning at track