C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would the LT4 benefit from more ZDDP or not?

Old 06-23-2017, 02:53 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Would the LT4 benefit from more ZDDP or not?

As we all know, ZDDP levels have been falling in street motor oils for a long time, and are now quite low. Mobil 1 is no exception.

In my old flat-tappet big blocks I run "CamShield", a ZDDP additive. So I run Mobil1 (or Rotella T) plus a ZDDP package. Some have proffered that an additive isn't as effective as ZDDP that is "baked in", but I don't have any proof of that.

My question is whether it would make sense to add some, maybe a half-doze, to the Mobil 1. I don't want to foul my converters.

Basically, I'm not sure where there is metal-metal high pressure contact that would benefit from ZDDP. We are roller cam, of course, so besides the fuel pump lobe, I can't think of much.

Thoughts?

Last edited by davepl; 06-23-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 303 Posts

My opinion is: Not needed. The LT series engines have been around a long time running Mobile 1 and other oils. These engines are so refined with roller tappets & rockers etc., they have run millions of miles with no failures, they are pretty much bullet proof with correct maintenance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would the LT4 benefit from more ZDDP or not?