C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often should you change synthetic on a car not driven?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default How often should you change synthetic on a car not driven?

I have a 1969 car with a 10 year old restoration that has 300 miles on it. So that tells you roughly how many miles are put on it each year... almost none. A few short cruises.

Since it's not C7 I'd put it in "Off Topic" but life there is nasty, brutish, and short... please move if needed.

Anyhow, a year later the Mobil1 still looks like new, and there's no way the filter is dirty, so do you really have to change it?

If not, every 2? Every 5 years? I know oil does break down a little, but there's no mechanical action shearing the long polymer chains, any of that.

I guess I'm asking for a car basically in storage, run a couple of times a year, with less than 50 miles per year.

Thanks!

Last edited by davepl; 07-06-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:42 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I have a 1969 car with a 10 year old restoration that has 300 miles on it. So that tells you roughly how many miles are put on it each year... almost none. A few short cruises.

Since it's not C7 I'd put it in "Off Topic" but life there is nasty, brutish, and short... please move if needed.

Anyhow, a year later the Mobil1 still looks like new, and there's no way the filter is dirty, so do you really have to change it?

If not, every 2? Every 5 years? I know oil does break down a little, but there's no mechanical action shearing the long polymer chains, any of that.

I guess I'm asking for a car basically in storage, run a couple of times a year, with less than 50 miles per year.

Thanks!
I would definitely change it once per year. It's cheap and easy. Why take a chance?
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah, I think the OLM for the C7 triggers at 1 year no matter what.
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you are talking about multiple years, I would be more concerned about other fluid like antifreeze than the oil.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:01 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
To me the problem isn't how many miles are put on your restoration, but how those miles are put on. IMO one of the worst things you can do to your engine is start it up, let it warm up by idling, then shut it down. You need to get the oil temperature up to at least 150 F, then keep it there for at least 15-30 minutes. The purpose is to dry out the water vapor that's a normal product of combustion and is the main contaminant in your oil due to blow-by.

So, if you got your car out of storage, drove it for a half-hour, then put it up for 6 months, your oil should last fine. 15 minute startup/shutdowns with nothing more than idling, are worse than not running the engine at all.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 AM
JHundertmark
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Generally agree with VetteDrmr - How you drive it is important - To drive the moisture out of the system. I used to change the oil on my 1979 928 once a year regardless (with full synthetic), & then got to the point where it might only get 200 miles per year as opposed to 1000. At that point I did move to every other year or three depending on use.

If you don't start the vehicle it should not generate moisture & combustion byproducts in the oil. Especially true if vehicle is parked inside.

As others mentioned, they would change it annually which won't hurt. Best wishes
Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Agree 100% on the "how" its operated. Any mileage on the car is a full warmup and trip cycle, normally 10-20 miles, not just a "back it out and idle it to warm it up" thing... I've actually got a whole other thread going on about that!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:00 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
To me the problem isn't how many miles are put on your restoration, but how those miles are put on. IMO one of the worst things you can do to your engine is start it up, let it warm up by idling, then shut it down. You need to get the oil temperature up to at least 150 F, then keep it there for at least 15-30 minutes. The purpose is to dry out the water vapor that's a normal product of combustion and is the main contaminant in your oil due to blow-by.

So, if you got your car out of storage, drove it for a half-hour, then put it up for 6 months, your oil should last fine. 15 minute startup/shutdowns with nothing more than idling, are worse than not running the engine at all.

Mike
Old 07-09-2017, 12:40 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

situation similar to yours, 200 mi on mine been sitting close to 2 yrs. Thought about it and find no need to change it out, kind of a waste.
Warm it up and drive it...had cars sit many more yrs than that, old gas oil etc never had a problem. Some will theorize how bad it is, never seen it in real life.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Most manufacturers state every year oil change.
Seems to be for acid and moisture removal.

I could argue w/ synthetic oil every two years.
(Depending on how the car is stored...closed, heated etc garage)

Only way to know for sure is to send a sample to Blackstone Labs at the one year mark to see if every other year (etc) skipping is possible.

Lastly, what is an oil change cost...DIY $60?

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Most manufacturers state every year oil change.
Seems to be for acid and moisture removal.

I could argue w/ synthetic oil every two years.
(Depending on how the car is stored...closed, heated etc garage)

Only way to know for sure is to send a sample to Blackstone Labs at the one year mark to see if every other year (etc) skipping is possible.

Lastly, what is an oil change cost...DIY $60?

Good luck.
Single analysis is $28. Attached is an analysis of my LS-1 Miata.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
99 MIATA-170410.pdf (19.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I changed my Corvair's oil last year after accumulating about 1,000 miles in twenty years. When I do drive it, always get it hot. The car is just about to turn 15,000 miles since new.

Get notified of new replies

To How often should you change synthetic on a car not driven?

Quick Reply: How often should you change synthetic on a car not driven?