C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have a GM MDI-2 tool setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Default Anybody have a GM MDI-2 tool setup?

Looking at what makes up a MDI-2 scan tool system. I've been using an OTC Genisys 5 EVO scan tool for 5 years, plus I have a Tech 2. The Genisys is a decent scan/test tool for a broad range of cars. The Tech-2 does more than the Genisys for GM cars.

The GM MDI system started to appear in some GM cars around 2009 and was pretty much in all their cars by 2014. I have a couple cars that are GM MDI so I'm thinking about an MDI setup. What I've found so far leaves me with some questions.

My questions are:

1) What's the hardware setup? From what I read, it's an MDI-2 module and a Windows-based PC.

2) Is a subscription needed to just download the PC application software and updates to the PC? Same for MDI-2 firmware updates? Are these separate subscriptions for just the software or the same subscription service that makes calibration files available?

3) Does this setup have some functionality when operating stand-alone like the Tech2, or does it always need to be connected to TIS2WEB or some other subscribed service? From what I've read, you need to have a subscription for the calibration files, but it is not clear to me that a MDI system will operate stand-alone and what the scope of those stand-alone functions are. From what I've read so far, I believe that the system will operate stand-alone for scanning, live data streams, and two-way function testing without a subscription or connection to a GM-provided service, but want to verify.

4) Subscriptions. I see there are short-term, relatively low-cost subscriptions available for calibration files. Anybody used those?

5) Also would like to verify the MDI system is 'backwards' compatible with the cars the Tech 2 now covers, perhaps making the Tech 2 unnecessary.

Appreciate any comments from those who have experience with MDI.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:14 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default GM Diagnostics

Here's an informative link about the scan tools, including discussion of the Tech 2, MDI and current GDS 2. It looks like the trend is toward subscription services and frequent payment for updates.

https://www.dealerscantool.com/general-motors

I'm trying to determine if there is any OBD scanner with full dealer diagnostic capabilities (without bilateral reflash or programming capability) that works on 2014 and later GM cars and does not require a subscription. Drew Technologies' products (CarDAQ and Mongoose) are alternatives to the GM products but still require communication with GM software, e.g., Tech2Win for Diagnostics and TIS2Web software, both of which are available by subscription. I too would also appreciate information on the use of the most currently available diagnostic scan tools and how dependently or independently they can operate. So far I've concluded that the minimum subscription cost is to obtain a three-day usage license for GDS 2 diagnostics at $55 or $57- see this link: https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

Are there any Techs on here, maybe from independent shops, with more insight for us?
The following users liked this post:
pickleseimer (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:44 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

ttt

As per the above, I'm still interested in acquiring a complete turn-key MDI scan tool system to be used on Chevrolets up through and including 2015. I've been seeing some Chinese clone systems here and there (including the PC), some with subscriptions out to a year, and some with lifetime subscriptions.

Appreciate any comments and information from those who have ventured into their own MDI systems. Not interested in flashing any modules, just the diagnostic and two-way test and maintenance routines.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:04 PM
0Crawford-Racing.com
Former Vendor

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, the MDI 2 is backwards compatible, and still uses Tech2Win for the older cars like the C5 and C6. You can get it bundled with a wireless adapter so it does not have to be physically attached, but I never use it like that. The device itself is made by Bosch, looks pretty much like the original MDI, I have one of those too. It has a rubber like bumper protecting it, and real long USB and OBD2 cables.
It works with the subscription service and uses the MDI manager software to configure and manage it. The MDI 2 is required for all 17 on up GM vehicles, the MDI will work up to 2016 MY vehicles.
I use ours daily, and is the only way to communicate with all the modules on the GM cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by Crawford-Racing.com:
JHEBERT (01-21-2018), Kent1999 (01-21-2018), pickleseimer (01-20-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 AM
sonny615
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Crawford-Racing.com
Yes, the MDI 2 is backwards compatible, and still uses Tech2Win for the older cars like the C5 and C6. You can get it bundled with a wireless adapter so it does not have to be physically attached, but I never use it like that. The device itself is made by Bosch, looks pretty much like the original MDI, I have one of those too. It has a rubber like bumper protecting it, and real long USB and OBD2 cables.
It works with the subscription service and uses the MDI manager software to configure and manage it. The MDI 2 is required for all 17 on up GM vehicles, the MDI will work up to 2016 MY vehicles.
I use ours daily, and is the only way to communicate with all the modules on the GM cars.
Mdi doesn't stop at 2016. Mdi 2 is the same thing it is just faster and has a direct connect system that's better. Also they put more stuff for future technology. I use them everyday at work.
The following users liked this post:
Kent1999 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:03 AM
sonny615
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by snomuncher
Here's an informative link about the scan tools, including discussion of the Tech 2, MDI and current GDS 2. It looks like the trend is toward subscription services and frequent payment for updates.

https://www.dealerscantool.com/general-motors

I'm trying to determine if there is any OBD scanner with full dealer diagnostic capabilities (without bilateral reflash or programming capability) that works on 2014 and later GM cars and does not require a subscription. Drew Technologies' products (CarDAQ and Mongoose) are alternatives to the GM products but still require communication with GM software, e.g., Tech2Win for Diagnostics and TIS2Web software, both of which are available by subscription. I too would also appreciate information on the use of the most currently available diagnostic scan tools and how dependently or independently they can operate. So far I've concluded that the minimum subscription cost is to obtain a three-day usage license for GDS 2 diagnostics at $55 or $57- see this link: https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

Are there any Techs on here, maybe from independent shops, with more insight for us?

A snap on type scanner would be a good choice for diagnostics. No subscription needed. Only they have is updates to add newer model years or added features. That you don't have to get.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Update to the this thread I started last July.

After rummaging around on forums for some time, talking and communicating with several folks from this forum and elsewhere, I concluded that I would try a Chinese clone MDI setup if I could nail the complete thing down for $300 or less. One of the goals was to not have to buy a subscription to any services. My purpose was to have a MDI dealer-level system for diagnosing and 2-way testing/service functions - I was not interested in reflashing or programming modules.

What I ended up buying was a refurbished HP Elitebook laptop (8 GB memory, 500 GB hard drive, Intel I5 dual core), and a VXDiag VCX Nano (VCI, SAE J2534 compatible, for GM GDS2 and Tech2Win) which came with software and drivers. These things are all over Amazon and elsewhere.

First, this setup duplicates the Tech 2 functionality, and is called Tech2Win, and appears to be the same software GM uses. The last model year the Tech2(Win) is used for is 2013, with some earlier model years excluded due to going to the newer MDI. The Tech2 functions on Corvettes up throuh and including model year 2013. The Tech2Win application runs on native Windows 7 or 8. Some have claimed it runs on later versions of Windows as well. The VXDiag people indicate Windows 7 or 8 only.

Second, the product also provides MDI/GDS2 diagnostics, very similar to what the dealer uses but without the module reflashing/programming. The Nano comes with drivers for Tech2Win and MDI, and has a 'cracked' version of GDS2 which runs as a VMWare virtual machine with XP. They provide a copy of the free VM Player to run the cracked software on any Win 64-bit platform, including the above Win 7 /8 machine, and I have confirmed it also runs as a VM on a Win 10 machine.

So, if you have a need for both a Tech 2 and a MDI system without the reflashing functions, this appears to be the way to go as one PC and VCI (the Nano) is used for both.

Not the easiest to install and get running. The Tech2Win setup in Native Windows was pretty easy and the interface on the PC looks identical to the native Tech2.

Getting MDI/GDS2 to run using VMware was more difficult. VXDiag provides a VM player, and the WinXP/GDS2 virtual machine file. Should be pretty easy to load and go, but I could not get it to work with the provided VM Player. Another forum member noticed my comments about this in the C6 forum and worked with me to get to a slightly altered setup using a copy of VM Workstation Pro Player instead of the provided VM Player. With a few tweaks to settings we got this up and running. I would still like to get this running on the original player as it is freeware and the one I'm using is good for a trial period only, but I'll work on that in the near future.

I spent an hour today poking around in the brains of my C7 with the MDI/GDS2 software. It's indeed impressive the amount of data and access the tool offers. Well worth the cost ($295 total) and effort in the end.

Seeing that the Nano is J2534 compatible, I believe if one had a GM subscription to accomplish reflashing and programming new calibration files, this device would work in place of an actual Bosch MDI VCI - it appears that several folks have published Youtube videos doing exactly that.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

can't do refreshing or programming unless a subscription is purchased, Is that correct?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:28 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dale002
can't do refreshing or programming unless a subscription is purchased, Is that correct?
Yes, my understanding is that you would need a subscription to acquire the calibration files regardless if running a genuine MDI or a clone. There has been much said about it in several threads.

Now, here is something interesting that I haven't looked at, but take a peek as it may be something done a little differently. Post # 62 in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rnative-2.html
Old 02-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Yes, my understanding is that you would need a subscription to acquire the calibration files regardless if running a genuine MDI or a clone. There has been much said about it in several threads.

Now, here is something interesting that I haven't looked at, but take a peek as it may be something done a little differently. Post # 62 in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rnative-2.html
I read #62 and understand it ,but the rest of the post confused me more. Are the programs that he is referring to included with the unit? I know the refresh and programming have to be purchase separately.
I mainly need this for my 14 and 15 year model vehicles
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dale002
I read #62 and understand it ,but the rest of the post confused me more. Are the programs that he is referring to included with the unit? I know the refresh and programming have to be purchase separately.
I mainly need this for my 14 and 15 year model vehicles
In post # 62, I was referencing the link at the bottom of that post and referenced Cloud diagnostics, which on the surface look interesting. To me, it appears that whoever is offering that has a signon to the calibration files. It looks like this Cloud capability is indeed there and ready to be used. However, I have not looked at it in depth and I don't have any details. I know you wanted to do flashing which would require the calibration files, hence I pointed you to that post in the event you wanted to look at it a bit closer. When I get a few moments I'll explore it a bit myself.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Yes, I went to the link on #62 and read up on the cloud. I understood
it the same way.

Last edited by Dale002; 02-08-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

GM has one of the most F'd up ways of flashing SW. Chrysler and Ford have internal tools that Engineers can use to flash files. GM doesn't, so you have to use the service tools.

For example, when I worked as a resident at GM I couldn't read/write or flash data to most modules in any car. While I was at a resident at Chrysler, and now as an Employee at Ford I can read/write all diagnostics and flash all SW files using the internal app.

GM is so far behind in this stuff it's not even funny. Why they still don't have an internal "diagnostic/flashing application" is beyond me.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Just a FYI, But the Vm GDS2 V17 (2017) goes all they way up to 2018 vets, while the VM GDS2 v15 (2015) only goes up to the 2016 vets.

So once you download the Vm GDS2 V17 files, open it with either player or workstation, then install the VX manager to it (in the VM Shell), and it will load the VX GM Nano automatically when you have it plugged in.

________________________________________ _
Also to clean up what programs that come with the GN nano, and what programs do not.

In the C6 vets, all the diagnostics and module resetting of the car is done through the Tech II itself. Since the nano does not have buttons or a screen it, it used a Tech2win PC base emulator program. so the way you are would push buttons on the actual Tech II, your now doing this on at PC instead. Note here, with a Tech II, you do security programming (like learning fobs to the car) through the Tech II/ Tech2win program if you are using the Gm Nano. The only program that does not come with the gm nano, is Tis2000, which contains SPS that is used to download firmware files from GM, to flash them into the modules. If tis2000 is needed, it available for the GM nano, including a dongle crack as well.

TIS2000, and the only program you would use in it if needed, would be SPS for the GM nano to download module firmware file from GM, to flash into the modules.
Note, think of the firmware files as the Operation system for the module to begin with, and once the initial firmware file has flashed into the module, then tech2win will allow you make the needed changes to the module programming.

Now on the C7, this is where things get a little harder, since Security programing, for programming in say a fob is not a function of GDS2, but GM TS SPS instead (its not the same SPS as the one in TIS2000). Hence if you need to program in a Fob, it has be done in the SDS program, which does not come with the Nano software.
So for Fob relearning on a C7 with the tool, you would open GM TS SPS, and in SPS, select VTD to program in a fob.
Again, in order for the SPS programs to work for the most part either in Tis2000 for the older cars, or GM TS for the newer cars, SPS has to connect to GM, which means that a GM subscription is needed to run SPS (and why it does not come with the GM nano).

So the Gm nano for the C7's comes with just a VM gds 2 program that does not connect to gm, to work for diagnostic and resetting of none VTD (Vehicle Thief Deterrent) functions.

Hence think of GM TS as the entire shell of programs for the MDI side, and what is included with the Nano is only the GDS2 program for the C7, that is made to to run stand alone (without connecting to GM,so you don't need a subscription).

So below is GM TS in its entirety below, and again, the GM Nano only comes with just the stand alone GDS2 program from the below shell of programs.

So again, if you need to download a firmware file from GM to flash into a module, or you need to do VTD security programing (again, done through the SPS program, not GDS2), then you will need a subscription to GM.
Note: once you have a GM subscription, logged in, as you need to use the below shell programs, the web shell will load in the needed software for any of the shell programs.

GM TS Web,

Last edited by Dano523; 03-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have a GM MDI-2 tool setup?

Quick Reply: Anybody have a GM MDI-2 tool setup?