C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting to track day

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Getting to track day

Hey all,

I've got a 2017 GS M7. I've never done a track day before (in a car) and would love to give it a shot. My understanding is that I need to change the oil to a different grade and also change the brake fluid to track-grade. I also understand that they recommend getting a track alignment, but I would probably skip that due to the expense of changing it back and forth. Finally, I've read of people switching the brake pads to track-grade.

So, two questions. One, for a novice like myself, which of these are really needed? Do I really risk damaging the car if I don't change the oil and brake fluid, for example? How important is it to use track-grade pads?

Two, the nearest track is around a 2 hour drive away. If I switch out the oil and brake fluid at home, I've got a total of 4 hours of highway driving off the track. Is that a potential issue? Do the fluids need to be changed at the track?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by koranke
Hey all,

I've got a 2017 GS M7. I've never done a track day before (in a car) and would love to give it a shot. My understanding is that I need to change the oil to a different grade and also change the brake fluid to track-grade. I also understand that they recommend getting a track alignment, but I would probably skip that due to the expense of changing it back and forth. Finally, I've read of people switching the brake pads to track-grade.

So, two questions. One, for a novice like myself, which of these are really needed? Do I really risk damaging the car if I don't change the oil and brake fluid, for example? How important is it to use track-grade pads?

Two, the nearest track is around a 2 hour drive away. If I switch out the oil and brake fluid at home, I've got a total of 4 hours of highway driving off the track. Is that a potential issue? Do the fluids need to be changed at the track?
Only thing I would say is sort of required for a novice is brake fluid. Just bleed the brakes and refill with motul 600. Pads will be fine for a novice and even higher levels depending on track (i still run stock pads and I run on the fast group). I've never changed the oil to a heavier one either but I also don't care about warranty as its long gone (supercharger).

Only real risk I see boiling your brake fluid and even that doesn't happen at a novice level.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-20-2017 at 10:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
koranke (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Do the one day performance driving school at Pacific Raceway, it's a blast. Three sessions of about 10-12 laps each (with instructor in your car) after the morning classroom work and track exercises. I found the track much easier to drive at speed than the track we ran at Spring Mountain. I just changed oil to 15w50 and brake fluid to Dot4. I have non Z51 with MRC and Z51 sways bars. Still driving the car with this setup, at least until colder weather.

Last edited by buckeye4; 07-20-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I'd definitely do the brake fluid change and oil change to 15W50. The oil temps run much higher on the track and with the 15W50 you keep your warranty intact. I leave the heavier oil in all summer, the only concern would be cold starts in the winter.

To a lesser degree I'd recommend an alignment since my car was inconsistent. You can do a compromise street/track setting.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeye4
Do the one day performance driving school at Pacific Raceway, it's a blast. Three sessions of about 10-12 laps each (with instructor in your car) after the morning classroom work and track exercises. I found the track much easier to drive at speed than the track we ran at Spring Mountain. I just changed oil to 15w50 and brake fluid to Dot4. I have non Z51 with MRC and Z51 sways bars. Still driving the car with this setup, at least until colder weather.
I'll second that. I've already done it three times because I keep taking other people... took a friend, took my son, took my wife... so it's getting a little routine now!

You can even run at PIR in a convertible C7Z, as I have, but I don't make a habit of it.

It's a great way to get introduced to lapping in a low-pressure environment. The last couple of times (2016) you had an instructor along each time, which you didn't the first time (2009?).

I went before Spring Mountain, and would agree that it's an easier track than SM, or maybe it's just easier to memorize or I just know it better. It's got a long straight though. Each time I went a little faster and the instructor would say "That's good!". I thought he was encouraging me, but that was his way of saying "Fast enough". We didn't sort that out until I was close to 150 on that dragstrip straight though!

Last edited by davepl; 07-21-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 PM
taekyon
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey all,

I ran my 17 GS at VIR in June. I ran on the stock run flats, stock pads, and stock fluid. The car did great. If I track the car again, the only thing I would do different is brake pads. After about 3 laps the pads were getting too hot. Another gentlemen in a 17 stingray had been doing driving events for 20 years and ran with stock pads, tires and fluids, and he did have any issues. I've been racing for about 6 years and doing track events since 2002 and was faster than him, hence my pads getting too hot. As a first timer, there's not much chance of you needing to upgrade anything for your first several events. You would just be wasting your money at this point. Best of luck! You're going to love it!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd certainly swap the fluid for sure to a high temp, and maybe find a good set of pads that are better for the track, but still very streetable....for the alignment (and pads) I'd say it all depends on how much you plan to track the car, but you could get some kind of compromise of specs between street and track
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Only thing I would say is sort of required for a novice is brake fluid. Just bleed the brakes and refill with motul 600. Pads will be fine for a novice and even higher levels depending on track (i still run stock pads and I run on the fast group). I've never changed the oil to a heavier one either but I also don't care about warranty as its long gone (supercharger).

Only real risk I see boiling your brake fluid and even that doesn't happen at a novice level.
Actually that happens much more than you would think. Many novice drivers tend to "ride the brakes" into the corners for much longer than necessary which can easily cause the fluids to start to boil..
Old 07-23-2017, 04:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

First, I would change the oil since GM says to change it. If you have an issue at the track you have the oil they recommend.

Second, if the brake fluid is over 1 month old it needs to be flushed. Use a DOT4 fluid from Ferodo, Wilwood, AP Racing, Motul, etc. Don't buy the DOT 4 stuff in the auto parts store unless it is printed on the container that it has a DRY boiling point above 550 degrees. That is for your own safety. As a Novice you may tend to over use the brakes and that can lead to boiling the brake fluid in both front calipers. Since the Vette has a Dual Diagonal Brake system if you boil the fluid in both front calipers you have no brakes. If the cars starts to dart to one side or the other under hard braking that may be an indication of one front caliper boiling and it is a good idea to back out of the throttle a little before the other front caliper joins its compadre.

Stock brake pads will probably work for a novice as will the stock wheel alignment but you will probably chew up the outside edges of the front tires to some degree.

Bill
Old 07-23-2017, 09:01 AM
GLI
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely change the oil to 15W50! Personal knowledge of individual who did not, engine grenaded. No warrantee coverage from GM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 AM
koranke
Racer

OK. General consensus is to change the oil the brake fluid. However, is it OK to drive on the street with, for example, the track-grade brake fluid? I assume there's something bad about doing that. Otherwise, why not just use track-grade brake fluid for all driving?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:29 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

OK. General consensus is to change the oil the brake fluid. However, is it OK to drive on the street with, for example, the track-grade brake fluid? I assume there's something bad about doing that. Otherwise, why not just use track-grade brake fluid for all driving?
I actually do this. I run Motul DOT 5.1 year round (DOT5.1 is different than DOT5). Though, that only has a dry boiling point of 522 degrees. If I were going to the track, I'd swap it for Castrol SRF.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:51 PM
LBRZ51
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Changed to Motul 600 brake fluid (available through Amazon) and Mobil 1 15W-50 and had the track alignment per owners manual specs. Also did the brake burnishing procedure outlined in the owners manual. To do this you need about an hour of time on a deserted road because you're stopping hard and starting multiple times to burnish the brakes. Overall set-up worked great for track day at BIR last month. Street drivability is fine with the track alignment.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:26 PM
koranke
Racer

So I just read an interesting post of the topic of brake fluid and track-grade versus street-grade. In short, the explanation was that track-grade brake fluid achieves its desirable track properties (high boiling temp) at the expense of stability (resistance to absorbing moisture). There's nothing wrong with using track-grade brake fluid on the street as long as you're changing your brake fluid every month or so. But if you only change the fluid once a year, for example, then you run the risk of premature rusting of parts in the braking system along with decreased braking performance. Street-grade braking fluid sacrifices resistance to boiling in favor of stability.

So, in answer to part of my question, there's absolutely nothing wrong with switching to track-grade brake fluid and driving a few hours to get to a track, but you wouldn't want to leave that same fluid sitting in the car for the rest of the year.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteC7
I'd definitely do the brake fluid change and oil change to 15W50. The oil temps run much higher on the track and with the 15W50 you keep your warranty intact. I leave the heavier oil in all summer, the only concern would be cold starts in the winter.

To a lesser degree I'd recommend an alignment since my car was inconsistent. You can do a compromise street/track setting.
Did you have the track alignment done? If so, where in the Houston area did you go? I live north near the Woodlands. Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 AM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

Tracktime Performance over by Willowbrook. Franks Vettes in Spring could take of you too.
The following users liked this post:
BradT (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 11:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

. As a first timer, there's not much chance of you needing to upgrade anything for your first several events. You would just be wasting your money at this point.

Just get out there and get familiar with your car.
If you get really into it and have the $ to burn go for it; if it were me first time out make sure nothing leaks, ck tire pressure fill the tank and go have some fun it is that simple

Get notified of new replies

To Getting to track day

Old 07-31-2017, 01:24 PM
c0ntract_thrilla
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey all,

I bought my 17 GS, and then put the required 800kms on it to break it in and then I drove it straight to the track and beat on it for 2 days. I didn't do anything to the car aside from adjust my tire pressures a bit.

First session i pulled 25 hot laps with Zero brake fade, no sponge in the pedal, the car passed the press test after a full day of lapping. This is very good for a factory car.

There were no performance issues at all. I am still amazed how good this car is from the factory, it handles so well, the brakes are so good and has phenomenal balance for a factory car. It is so much more dynamic and responsive than my previous track car.

My only gripe is that 7 speed manual, I would prefer 6 gears and a more positive engagement.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

So I just read an interesting post of the topic of brake fluid and track-grade versus street-grade. In short, the explanation was that track-grade brake fluid achieves its desirable track properties (high boiling temp) at the expense of stability (resistance to absorbing moisture). There's nothing wrong with using track-grade brake fluid on the street as long as you're changing your brake fluid every month or so. But if you only change the fluid once a year, for example, then you run the risk of premature rusting of parts in the braking system along with decreased braking performance. Street-grade braking fluid sacrifices resistance to boiling in favor of stability.

So, in answer to part of my question, there's absolutely nothing wrong with switching to track-grade brake fluid and driving a few hours to get to a track, but you wouldn't want to leave that same fluid sitting in the car for the rest of the year.
I'd want to see some actual data around this as I'm not buying it. I run SRF in my car year round.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:13 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I'd want to see some actual data around this as I'm not buying it. I run SRF in my car year round.
Thanks for your input Poor-Sha. I have seen your posts and I know you are a serious track guy who does what is needed to be on the track. The fact that you don't change your fluid confirms what I thought should be the case, that it is fine for every day.

Any idea how much brake fluid is needed completely replace with SRF?

Quick Reply: Getting to track day