C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Grand Sport dealer messed up rocker

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 2017 Grand Sport dealer messed up rocker

Hi all,

Took my GS in to the dealer to find out why the drivers seat cooling/heating is not working at all and they messed my rocker extension up. It appears like they hit it with the lift arm. I also had them clear filmed and Opticoat Pro + ceramic coated before this, so they will be paying an additional 450.00 to refilm and ceramic the rocker(whether they like it or not). They have ordered another one and I want to know what all is involved in replacing this?

I have heard that the extensions are riveted into the fiberglass rocker, so I am worried about an incompetent tech drilling the rivet holes too big and not getting a good fit? Maybe I am worrying too much, but would like some advice or ideas on what to expect/look for when they replace this. I expect nothing short of perfection so I am hoping they make it right. Below is picture of the damage

Old 07-21-2017, 10:05 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

F'ing dealerships. Sorry to see that happened man I hope they get that fixed in short order.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-21-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

It was a mistake. I'm sure the dealership will take care of this for you. They have owned up to the problem-I'm sure they will make it right.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

It's a very easy install have the film and ceramic done first then install the new rocker.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:47 AM
Poppacapp
Racer

Originally Posted by VinceBlack
F'ing dealerships. Sorry to see that happened man I hope they get that fixed in short order.
Yeah I am sure they will fix it.. just hate it even happened. They should know to be more careful with a customers car

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
It was a mistake. I'm sure the dealership will take care of this for you. They have owned up to the problem-I'm sure they will make it right.
Mistakes happen, but what compounded my anger on this one was the day I was signing paperwork on the car, the detail guy scraped the splitter on thr curb pulling the car up. They had to replace the splitter too... car was brand new. Hope its not a pattern lol

Originally Posted by brettmess24
It's a very easy install have the film and ceramic done first then install the new rocker.
Really? That sounds like a good idea, but I would be worried about the film withbthem having to drill/rivet. Ill call the detail shop and see what he thinks. I appreciate the idea though!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

They are riveted on.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Originally Posted by ersatz928
They are riveted on.
In your opinion would the rocker be easy to replace and re-rivet? The part came in.. probably will drop the car off early next week for the fix. Kind of nervous
Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Should be an easy fix for a halfway decent mechanic. Some care is needed to drill out the rivets, and there are also a couple of screws. I wouldnt worry.
The following users liked this post:
Poppacapp (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

seems like a good opportunity to get full length side skirts
Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

It will be an easy fix. A performance shop damaged one of mine. I drilled out the rivets, took it to be repaired and then riveted it back on. Like anything, as long as they're careful and take their time it will go smoothly.

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
In your opinion would the rocker be easy to replace and re-rivet? The part came in.. probably will drop the car off early next week for the fix. Kind of nervous
Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Should be an easy fix for a halfway decent mechanic. Some care is needed to drill out the rivets, and there are also a couple of screws. I wouldnt worry.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll ask to talk with the tech who will be doing the repair and ask him his plan of action. I just want to make sure the rivets are not drilled out too large(hole wise)

Originally Posted by village idiot
seems like a good opportunity to get full length side skirts
I like the skirts that are on there now.... Just not so much with the damage

Originally Posted by Elite275
It will be an easy fix. A performance shop damaged one of mine. I drilled out the rivets, took it to be repaired and then riveted it back on. Like anything, as long as they're careful and take their time it will go smoothly.
Thanks for the info. I am hoping they are more careful replace this than the last time working on the car
Old 07-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Thanks for the info. I think I'll ask to talk with the tech who will be doing the repair and ask him his plan of action. I just want to make sure the rivets are not drilled out too large(hole wise)

I like the skirts that are on there now.... Just not so much with the damage

Thanks for the info. I am hoping they are more careful replace this than the last time working on the car
Just ask them to fix it and don't talk to the mechanic about his plan of action. That isn't a good idea. How would you feel if you were asked that by one of your company's customers on a job you were doing?

First rule is: Don't be an A$$Hole Corvette owner.

Bill
Old 08-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Poppacapp
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Just ask them to fix it and don't talk to the mechanic about his plan of action. That isn't a good idea. How would you feel if you were asked that by one of your company's customers on a job you were doing?

First rule is: Don't be an A$$Hole Corvette owner.

Bill
Gotcha. Dropped the car off today for them to replace it. Hopefully all goes well. Hopefully there are no more "mistakes" from this dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport dealer messed up rocker

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport dealer messed up rocker