C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light on-made rookie mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 PM
firesam23
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Check Engine light on-made rookie mistake

I unplugged my MAP senor and didn't plug it back in before starting my car. My rookie mistake. Check engine light is now on and after plugging it back in an restarting the car it still is on and won't go out. I've used a Snap On scanner and a generic code reader which both wouldn't reset it. I called dealer and they say it has to be hooked up to a GM laptop to reset it and they want $100 dollars to do it. Anyone else had luck resetting it and how. I really don't want to disconnect the battery. Read some people had On-Star problems after doing the battery disconnect. Thanks
Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by firesam23
I unplugged my MAP senor and didn't plug it back in before starting my car. My rookie mistake. Check engine light is now on and after plugging it back in an restarting the car it still is on and won't go out. I've used a Snap On scanner and a generic code reader which both wouldn't reset it. I called dealer and they say it has to be hooked up to a GM laptop to reset it and they want $100 dollars to do it. Anyone else had luck resetting it and how. I really don't want to disconnect the battery. Read some people had On-Star problems after doing the battery disconnect. Thanks
Its a hard code. To fix it you must prove to the car that the condition has been corrected. Drive it for a few days. Should go away.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Typically it takes five restart/shutdown cycles to clear most codes.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

I've done this before as well. If it doesn't go away in a few cycles you could see if AutoZone or some place will clear it. If not, I'm in the Cincinnati area and have HP Tuners and can try to clear it for you to save that ridiculous $100.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 PM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes, reconnecting and start the engine? This works for some of the other ECM issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine light on-made rookie mistake

Quick Reply: Check Engine light on-made rookie mistake