C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving home after a HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 AM
TurtleRayZ51
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Driving home after a HPDE

Want to ask for those of you that track your car....do you drive the car home or is it advisable to get a trailer for these events? One of the biggest reasons I have not tracked my GS is im not sure how to feel about high performance driving my car on a track then expecting to to drive it home for 4 or 5 hours ride. Im assuming after such demand placed on the car it be wise to let it cool down and sit for a while vice hitting the for x amount of hours ride home. Maybe some people do it? My car is 98% stock. Im planning on upgrading track pads and brake fluid for this if i decided to go for it.

Last edited by TurtleRayZ51; 09-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:04 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've done both and prefer to trailer. Should your GS not be able to drive home for whatever reason- mechanical or damage you arent stranded. You will also be able to carry more support equipment as well as do any track prep (track tires, tire pressures set, race seat, tow hook, aero, numbers,etc) before you depart your home to the track as well as delay any street reconfiguration until after you get home.

How often/serious are you? A couple events a year and staying stock I would not sweat driving. Unless you are really going for it, you won't be exceeding the limits of the car, especially the engine. Most stress is on the brakes, suspension, and you.

At our local track, it's a 50/50 mix for HPDE. TT and race groups mostly trailer.

Last edited by 64drvr; 09-15-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Not to mention that if you are a bit too exuberant, or you flat run out of talent, you might not be able to drive it home...
Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

So in general, doing a day at the track and driving home is no problem for the car. In fact, It's probably better to get the car out on the road where there is airflow at low RPMs to keep cool everything down rather than letting it back in the paddock or on/in a trailer.

As long as you're running street tires you'll be fine but what is your plan B? It's not unlikely that you won't have a mechanical failure or as rrsperry said you run out of talent and you can't drive the car home. As long as you have a plan for that then go for it.

I used to drive my C6Z all over the country doing HPDEs. One event I ran wide at Oak Tree at VIR, dropped wheels off the pavement, and a rock hit the cooling fan cracking it. Luckily it didn't hit the radiator but when the fan was running it was vibrating badly and I was concerned that if it kicked in to high speed it would come apart taking out the radiator. I limped the car 5 hours home by making sure I never came to a complete stop and turning the car off if I did. I also decided I didn't want to deal with that again.

Every once in a while I'll still drive to my local track since it's only ~40 minutes away but even then I once ran out of rear brake pad and didn't catch it in time. I had to drive home grinding away the rear rotors because I didn't have spares or tools to swap them out before I left.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:37 PM
TurtleRayZ51
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

All very helpful in sight. The closest track to me is about 3 hours away. Track is Gingerman Racway in south haven. Im not looking to get serious. Just to get on the track and really open it up. Push it a good 60-70%. Im planning on race pads, upgraded brake fluid and of course ill bring some minor support equipment. From what i see here for what i wanna do i think driving my vette to and from a HPDE will be ok. Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:03 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by TurtleRayZ51
All very helpful in sight. The closest track to me is about 3 hours away. Track is Gingerman Racway in south haven. Im not looking to get serious. Just to get on the track and really open it up. Push it a good 60-70%. Im planning on race pads, upgraded brake fluid and of course ill bring some minor support equipment. From what i see here for what i wanna do i think driving my vette to and from a HPDE will be ok. Thanks for the insight guys.
For the type of enjoyment you're looking for, driving to/from the track will be fine. I've done it for years up to 4 hours away. There is plenty of room in the back of the car for everything you'll need. Risks exist but they're very low as long as you drive within your limits. Have fun!
Bish
Old 09-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have done plenty of thinking on this. At the end of the day you can have a car moved most of the way across the country for around 1k. Assuming you aren't crashing regularly or breaking regularly. You will never save money buying a tow rig and trailer, but at the same time it's nice for piece of mind and bringing gas to the track.

The one thing that could really suck is if you get a flat far away and miss your weekend and have to get towed home and then get tires replaced at a later date.

I live close to Road America, which is an awesome corvette track so i just commute there.

I broke a syncro key one year and drove home with the trans stuck in 4th gear. Only about 65 miles lol.

Last edited by Socko; 09-15-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by TurtleRayZ51
Want to ask for those of you that track your car....do you drive the car home or is it advisable to get a trailer for these events? One of the biggest reasons I have not tracked my GS is im not sure how to feel about high performance driving my car on a track then expecting to to drive it home for 4 or 5 hours ride. Im assuming after such demand placed on the car it be wise to let it cool down and sit for a while vice hitting the for x amount of hours ride home. Maybe some people do it? My car is 98% stock. Im planning on upgrading track pads and brake fluid for this if i decided to go for it.
There is no issue driving the car home from the track. Highway/street driving is easy on the car. I have been trailering my Corvettes to the track and to autocrosses for 25 seasons. I started trailering by renting a trailer from a local trailer dealer and using my 91 Olds Bravada as a tow vehicle. Yes, a 160 HP V6 can tow a 5500 lb trailer.

In those 25 years I can enumerate the number of times I have actually needed the trailer. Once when I blew a power steering hose on my 86, twice when I blew the power steering pump on my 97, twice when I blew power steering pumps on my 03Z. Four times with my C6Z, once the engine developed a massive oil leak from the front cover, once when a valve dropped and blew the engine, once when the harmonic balancer came loose and started making loud noises and finally when I lost a front wheel going through Turn 1 at VIR. Basically, less than 10 times over 25 years. Over the same time period I have towed my friends cars from the track just about as many times.

Without the trailer it is a long walk home as my grateful friends can attest. Sure you might be able to get a rental car but a lot of tracks are in the boonies and getting a rental delivered to the track or getting a ride to a rental agency can be a problem. I was at one track in Northern NY State and there wasn't any cell phone reception let alone a town large enough and close enough to have a rental agency.

That trailer can represent freedom when you have a true problem. It can also represent a large investment since the trailer may only cost you $6K but the tow vehicle might cost you another $50K.

It is all based on the odds of something happening and how you plan on handling that something when it happens. Be Prepared.

Bill
Old 09-17-2017, 06:05 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I have been doing 2 or 3 HPDE's for the last 8 years and have always driven my car. My home is 140 miles from VIR which is in range of my extended AAA service. I have had to use it one time on my sons 2000 C5, oil pump failed.

I could easily trailer since I am an excavating contractor and have the right truck and trailer but have chosen not too. I would say that it would be nice to have the added peace of mind and have considered it often. Also if you have a enclosed trailer you can have a fan, shade as well as more tools and other equipment. An open trailer works too.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
I've done both and prefer to trailer. Should your GS not be able to drive home for whatever reason- mechanical or damage you arent stranded. You will also be able to carry more support equipment as well as do any track prep (track tires, tire pressures set, race seat, tow hook, aero, numbers,etc) before you depart your home to the track as well as delay any street reconfiguration until after you get home.

How often/serious are you? A couple events a year and staying stock I would not sweat driving. Unless you are really going for it, you won't be exceeding the limits of the car, especially the engine. Most stress is on the brakes, suspension, and you.

At our local track, it's a 50/50 mix for HPDE. TT and race groups mostly trailer.
^Exactly my feeling. I prefer having a second vehicle with ready to use equipment at the track, hence a trailer is my advice. I have an open hauler and my SUV hauling it always has the just-in-case necessities.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:53 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I drive 3 hours after a long day, zero issues. If the car survives the track with flying colors the drive home is cake. Assuming you don't damage your tires or destroy your brakes.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I never had a trailer, but always longed for a way to carry tires AutoX'ing(non-vette), which just leads to wanting a trailer. But I never did get one
Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

For me, driving a Corvette on the highway is fun.
For me, pulling a trailer on the highway is work.

For several years I was doing HPDE weekends at tracks up to 6 hours away. I was careful not to abuse the car or go off track. But one time I lost gears 3 and 4 in an A4 car, it was a long and nervous ride home.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm sure the car can handle the track work and ride home if all goes well. I preferred to trailer mine for my first HPDE and I didn't regret it. I had the truck loaded with supplies and the car was ready to go with a full tank of fuel. After 60 mins on track, I was on the first red line per the fuel gauge. Just one item to think about.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been doing track days for the past 5 years, never with a trailer. It's lots of fun and in my opinion worth the risks. As has been said here, always have a back-up plan...

I've gone home (or more perniciously to the shop) twice on the back of a flatbed for mechanical issues (first was axles, second was the engine). In my area AAA has a "Premier" plan with up to 200 miles of included towing for $119/year. When my engine went out (no oil pressure) it would have been a $900 tow, but was covered with AAA. A trailer would be great, but I just don't have the space for it or the tow rig... it's not going to stop me from tracking my car though.

Last edited by TCorzett; 09-23-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:41 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

The only time I had to trailer my track car home was when a bearing in the transmission "went".

All other times, I simply drove it home.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:10 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Here is one way to look at it. If you drive it on the street, why trailer to the track?

Well one reason is to haul tires, spare parts, etc. Once you decide to mod, add slicks, etc. then start thinking about trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving home after a HPDE

Old 09-23-2017, 03:38 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just keep my AAA membership active, so if ever I screw it up really bad, I can just call AAA and have them drop my car home or at my shop of choice.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You will have a great time at Gingerman. It is a very safe track, and not too hard on your car.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I always drive to and from. I don't have much of a choice- I live downtown. No room for truck and trailer.

If its your first day and the car is relatively new, I'd have zero hesitation. There is absolutely no reason a newb should ever go off the track unless they're just being an idiot. You're going to be 15-20 seconds off a good pace- that's a lot of margin.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-26-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Driving home after a HPDE