C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swell...."Service Power Steering. Drive with care"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Swell...."Service Power Steering. Drive with care"

Took the car out today and as soon as I pull out of the garage, (engine still cold) it gives me Service Power Steering. Drive With Care". But, it comes up and goes away VERY fast and there is no loss of power steering. This is odd as everyone else with this issue sounds like they lost PS. It took me a few minutes to catch the alert as it would come up and go away so quickly. Its not overheating. Cant be. Came up when the car was cold.

So I took it out and drove it about 10 miles. PS was fine, but the alert keeps coming up and going away quickly every few minutes. First time this has happened in 53,000 miles, and, first time since I rebuilt the motor 1700 miles ago. It has the characteristics of a loose connector or ground so I'll check those when I get home. Haven't pulled codes yet to see if there are any.

Weird... isn't it?

Ant 🐜
Old 09-25-2017, 08:47 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

does seem weird I think you are going in the right direction with connector or ground since you were just in that area. If you pull any codes let me know and ill tell you what to check.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

For what it's worth, I drove a new '17 I had bought long-distance and the p/s failed completely while doing so, BUT no DIC messages at all! Go figure.

Btw, Kerbeck's had an identical '18 which they sent me out the door with at the same price. GREAT guys!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 PM
6.2Blown
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

This same thing happened on mine when I didn't ground the catch can properly ...
Originally Posted by IH8FORD
does seem weird I think you are going in the right direction with connector or ground since you were just in that area. If you pull any codes let me know and ill tell you what to check.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Vette-High
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering Drive with care

My wife just bought here dads 2014 C7 that had 1050 miles on it and she drove it home 800mile no problem. Once home we had to show it off and that's when the Power steering indicator come on and it would hardly turn. I've searched the forums and was hoping the issues had been worked out by now. I can't find any answers. Does anyone know what we should do really love it apart from that.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vette-High
My wife just bought here dads 2014 C7 that had 1050 miles on it and she drove it home 800mile no problem. Once home we had to show it off and that's when the Power steering indicator come on and it would hardly turn. I've searched the forums and was hoping the issues had been worked out by now. I can't find any answers. Does anyone know what we should do really love it apart from that.
remove the connector, spray it with brake cleaner on both the male and female parts and reconnect it and see if it goes away.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Vette-High
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What connector any chance you know where it is I'll try it
Old 11-21-2018, 12:42 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vette-High
What connector any chance you know where it is I'll try it
Replied to your PM. The power steering rack connector on the top of the rack that connects it to the main wiring harness.

Ant
Old 11-21-2018, 02:04 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Loose ground, connector that ant is talking about, or loose connection at the battey posts.

Elmer
Old 11-21-2018, 02:13 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I just had this happen after a supercharger install.

If all else fails or any other strange occurrence happens, there is a terminal block under the fuse block. Has 4 lugs on it and 2 of mine were loose. After I tightened it my problem went away. I never messed with it at all and it's covered.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Ant mine did the same also like the above guy had said on the catch can. This car is so bad on ground the only thing I did was put the ground wire on the bottom & not on the top on the bolt so the wire was down on the frame rail like. Then it never came back on again I also never lost of P/S in the car..Robert
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (11-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Swell...."Service Power Steering. Drive with care"

Quick Reply: Swell...."Service Power Steering. Drive with care"