C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance co wants to track my driving habits

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:16 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Not only no, but hell no.

And no it won't hurt anything.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:36 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

They know the tricks people pull; my car has a state farm one and its more to verify the miles you drive than anything else. Sure braking and stuff is a factor but I havent found it to be much of one. At least for state farm, they ask for odometer readings via pictures of it to compare against their data; so you cant just throw it in another car and call it good. If you arent driving th car, you arent going to get a good safety rating as well because there will be no data to compare the driving against.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 AM
MikeK
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My Discount wLiberty Mutual Turned Out To Be 12%

Good old RightTrack for LM. I got the same story 3 years ago and bit. At the time I had both a 2014 Z51 and a 2013 Honda Accord Cpe V6. Since I'm single w/2 cars my mileage is negligible, about 1500-1800 on the Vette and maybe 2500-3000 on the Honda. They monitor accel/decel (braking), mileage since the cars are covered for 5K each and time of driving. Seems drunks are on the streets between Midnight and 4 AM. I kept getting hit w/accel on the Vette and braking on the Honda. The threshold is 7'/sec/sec for accel/decel. Bottom line was a 12% discount that has carried through for 3 years. I'm now in a 2018 ZO6 and a 2016 Accord Touring Cpe V6. They will replace new cars w/new cars for a couple of years. I have $1M liability, $1M uninsured and underinsured plus my home which I pay in full ONCE per year. I annually compare them to Allstate, State Farm, American Family, USAA and Amica. LM is still lower....so far. I did get hit with a $315 (annual) charge when I bought the Z last month. I would NEVER do it again...life is hell when you are tethered in a Vette. BTW, I am 75 yo.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell no don't do it

Had them and tried it on all my cars and got no big discount,just reminder's that I did a jack rabbit start or too fast or hard braking
And you have to have it on your cars for at least 6 months of driving not sitting in the garage.

It's big brother watching you
Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 AM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jdsaengine
well, we are pretty tame when it comes to driving. The wife just drives the C7 around town, but might get up to 5K revs when shifting if she feels frisky

I drive a 650 BMW, but can't remember when I got it above 70 mph.

the others are Infiniti SUV and a '13 Sebring Vert that my daughter drives to college.

I think all 4 added up may be 5000 mi. per year.

We don't go any where !!!

My wife is not to happy about Big Brother watching her driving habits, and I did not want the plug in to screw up ON STAR or do some other weird things to the electronics. Plus I just never heard of insurance co. doing this. Surprised they didn't request a breath-a-lizer plug in too
When you want to sell the car PM me.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:52 AM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I wouldn't be so sure about that 'permanent' discount. "Indefinitely" doesn't necessarily equal "permanent". Could just as easily mean for an "unspecified period of time".

Insurance companies *do* occasionally re-validate their data on their customers, including annual mileage checks, and running credit checks from time to time. Hard to imagine that they'll be 'permanently' happy with a 3 month spy into your everyday drive.

Either way, I wouldn't do it voluntarily. If I'm unhappy with the non-GPS-tracked rate, and the only way to get a discount is to give them all my telemetry every time I drive (even for a few months), I'll go to a different company.
My bad (I guess?), semantics (maybe?). I used the word 'indefinitely", I don't recall if the insurance rep said "forever", "indefinitely", "permanent" (is there a diff?) or "pinky swear". I do agree, no ultimate guarantee, they could raise future rates 40% overall while still offering me a 30% discount for the tracker.

Last edited by WideVette; 09-29-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:22 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
When you want to sell the car PM me.
Ha, yeh when this C7 goes it will be a cream puff. We got rid of a 2003 C5 we drove 18K mi. in 11yr. to get the new C7 in May. She is 62, but still pretty much a gear head. Car is Stingray, black on black vert with M7
Old 09-29-2017, 01:06 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Had enough of the Gestapo spying on you with 8 years of "dear leader" Obama. No way in hell.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:36 PM
RickHoppe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you ever seen the reports that come out of Onstar. I couldn't stand having them telling me that I could get better mileage if I wasn't so aggressive. This was during a month when I never exceeded the speed limit - I was still breaking in the car. I finally turned off that feature. If its any indication of how insurance companies interpret these things I would bet your insurance would double! Good luck with Big Brother.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I just say "Nope, nope, nope, nope." I also try not to laugh at them. Not a chance. If you don't want my business, just say so. I have no problem shopping for a better company.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:07 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I have Amica ins. I was floored by the 465 a year full coverage $1000
dec. on my 2017 Z06 where my 2015 My costs more in the 600 range.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ins co: What are all those 70 to 140 mph runs? Me: Just datalogging.....
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

F* that.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:42 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Progressive has been doing this for years with their "Snapshot" device.. does the same thing...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have OnStar setup to provide mileage info to State Farm so I can get the discount. I have OnStar active on all three of my vehicles. The free mileage reporting shows I put less than 7K miles per year on each of my vehicles which also qualifies for a discount.

I do not participate in the extra cost OnStar feature that tracks your driving techniques. I had it for a couple of months during the track season last year to see what it reported and it was hilarious. They mentioned I shouldn't accelerate as hard or brake as hard as I was doing since that could reduce gas mileage. This info wasn't shared with State Farm. After wasting $5 per month on it for several months I canceled the feature.

Bill
Old 10-03-2017, 07:24 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I have only monitored my OnStar driver's report, and I must say.... I'm shocked about its report on heavy braking.... What constitutes that. I can gradually slow to stop light, and view my report to show that it was a heavy brake situation.

Compare that to my wife, who treats the accelerator and brake pedals as on/off switches, I just really don't get it.

If the formula that OnStar uses is anything like Progressive's SnapShot, or any other, I don't feel that I would ever qualify for a discount. It is as though they expect me to put the car in neutral, open the door, and drag my foot until the car comes to a stop.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JNess
I have only monitored my OnStar driver's report, and I must say.... I'm shocked about its report on heavy braking.... What constitutes that. I can gradually slow to stop light, and view my report to show that it was a heavy brake situation.

Compare that to my wife, who treats the accelerator and brake pedals as on/off switches, I just really don't get it.

If the formula that OnStar uses is anything like Progressive's SnapShot, or any other, I don't feel that I would ever qualify for a discount. It is as though they expect me to put the car in neutral, open the door, and drag my foot until the car comes to a stop.
I was wondering the same thing. I am easy on my brakes, never a hard stop, and it says like 35! Acceleration was understated--never mentioned the 106 I was doing--in Mexico, of course. Zero trust in their information. Won't renew OS anyway, after the 3 month free period.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance co wants to track my driving habits

Old 10-06-2017, 01:53 PM
vtmike24
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A guy I work with opted in to that program. We were just talking about it the other day and he mentioned that he is now less likely to hard brake for yellow lights since he will get dinged. Don't let the threat of getting less of a discount cause you to drive in an unsafe manner.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:53 PM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Got my plug in for the computer port from Liberty today. I've decided F-them, and not plug it in. I just want to drive as I want (which is still like a 68yr old) , not how they want. I started shopping for other companies.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:51 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jdsaengine
So Liberty Mutual said they would lower my rate anywhere from 10-30% by allowing them to place a plug in vehicle tracker in the diagnostic plug in port under the dash. For 90 days they would track mileage, speed, excessive speed or acceleration. Then I mail the plug in back to them.

I know, who wants big brother looking over my shoulder telling me how to enjoy the car.

But my question is, will this plug in possibly do some harm to the computer or electronics, infect the system. Is this plug in something I should never ever install? Anyone ever heard of this being done before? They want to do plug ins in all 4 of my cars.
I believe I would have said, "no, hell no", within about 2 seconds. None of their business what you do unless and until you create an insurable event. This probably will not hurt your ECM, but you can sure use that as an excuse rather than just saying, "no".

Also, all of you who opt in are insuring (pun) that this process will become mandatory to get any auto insurance very soon. Soon if you do not play along, or your driving habits do not meet their standards, poof goes your coverage. Make sure you express your displeasure to your state insurance commissioner, who is surely being lobbied to make this mandatory. Everyone should say, "no" and keep saying it to make this go away. Revolt!

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-06-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Insurance co wants to track my driving habits