Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed .... - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....

Old 10-18-2017, 04:57 PM
robz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries View Post
Test Filter due in Thursday .
We will flow test it for basic flow to SAE and then conduct some special flow tests that we do to measure pressure drop across it etc.. Then we will run it on the car and check to see what it dos to the ECM.
Give you guys an update soon.

VR tech
So, thanks for responding to all the question people have asked. I appreciate it.

As you know, I have had good luck with your intakes in the c5 platform.
We all know how well Dennis' car ran in his c6.
So VR does have a good track record over the past 10 years+ for performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to robz For This Useful Post:
VNAMVET (10-24-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:15 PM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

VR tech, what is the easiest way to swap out the filter once it's installed with your system? Unscrew the two bolts and remove the latch, loosen the throttle body connector, disconnect the maf sensor plug and. Then pull out?

Last edited by spinkick; 10-18-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:26 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by robz View Post
So, thanks for responding to all the question people have asked. I appreciate it.

As you know, I have had good luck with your intakes in the c5 platform.
We all know how well Dennis' car ran in his c6.
So VR does have a good track record over the past 10 years+ for performance.
Its always a pleasure to help our customers and answer any questions they may have.
This Intake system will reset every Record for C-7's just as our previous units have done for C5's and C-6's.
As tracks open back up during the spring we will see racers getting their hands on these and putting in faster track times.
We design for the real world. So whether your a racer who spends his life a 1/4 mile at a time or ripping around a Road coarse , or you just love to cruise your Vette down to the car show.
Vararam products have you covered.

VR tech
The Following User Says Thank You to VaraRam Industries For This Useful Post:
VNAMVET (10-24-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
VR tech, what is the easiest way to swap out the filter once it's installed with your system? Unscrew the two bolts and remove the latch, loosen the throttle body connector, disconnect the maf sensor plug and. Then pull out?
There is the easy way and there is the fast way. I prefer the latter.
Easy way - Loosen the TB clamp and loosen the clamp on the neck of the VR air box, pull the intake tube off and to the drivers side . This gives you lots of room to remove the two screws and flip the latch and out comes the filter.

Now the Fast way - As I have said on here a few times ,our testing showed a significant drop in under hood temps by removing the shroud duct that goes to the hood. So, I do not run one . That means I pull my system out by removing the two OEM bolts that attach it to the fender. I then Loosen the TB hose clamp and pull it out all as one unit.
It Prob takes about the same amount of time to be honest , but 9 times out of 10, its Hot when I am working on the car or the engine is hot. By doing it this way, I can just carry it inside to the nice cold A/C and do whatever I need to do.

VR Tech
spinkick (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:47 PM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

Interesting tip on the shroud duct, leaving it off. What are the drawbacks? I'd imagine water runs in through the hood and into the bay instead of collecting on the duct this way, right?

Also, isn't it ducted so air coming in to the radiator doesn't flow under the hood and create lift for down force reasons and push on the hood?

I'm surprised you see cooler temps because isn't the radiator without the shroud blasting hot air right onto the engine bay?

Last edited by spinkick; 10-19-2017 at 03:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2017, 06:00 PM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Old 10-18-2017, 10:01 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Interesting tip on the shroud duct, leaving it off. What are the drawbacks? I'd imagine water runs in through the hood and into the bay instead of collecting on the duct this way, right?

Also, isn't if ducted so air coming in to the radiator doesn't flow under the hood and create lift for down force reasons and push on the hood?

I'm suprised you see cooler Temps because isn't the radiator without the shroud blasting hot air right onto the engine bay?
We have some R&D video's we are going to post covering some of the Aero work we did on the C-7's. Many will find them truly eye opening.
example : the duct in question - we blew 40-70 mph Air/smoke through the front grill and with the shroud duct removed not only did MORE smoke come out of the engine compartment , the air speed was higher during exit through the hood vents!

We confirmed it with the temp probe readings from inside the manifold and on the surfaces.
This happens for several reasons .
1.Air wants to fallow the roof line of the hood and Air likes to fallow a natural flow path. The engine acts as a high pressure zone and the outside air is also pulling on the air inside the engine compartment when the vehicle is moving.
2. The duct only represents about 20-25% of the radiators area. The mane fan and shroud area move far more airflow. That air has to go somewhere. Unfortunately , most of that hot air usually gets trapped, but not with the shroud duct removed!

With the shroud duct in place this is what we found.
1. The Rear of the duct looks like it has lots of taper, making the tail smaller to speed up airflow . Area to area however, shows a different story. They are closer to equal.
2. The plastic secondary part of the shroud that is attached to the hood blocks the back half of the hood vent area. blocking flow and trapping in engine heat.
3, Down force loss ? Yes and NO . With the shallow angle of attack plus a 70% head loss through the Radiator, the down force it could make is minimal at best. Since we see more flow without it , I am going to say I do not believe there is a loss at all.
Most Road Race cars would use a 45 deg angle shroud duct or steeper, combined with a min of a 50% taper to make up for some of the head loss. In some cases their Radiators can offer far better air flow than an OEM unit as well , reducing head loss.

Water dripping down into it without the shroud? sure it does, but not enough to matter. Plus Its directly in front of the engine.
As a matter of fact it will drop straight through to the concrete.
My car, however, has a full Polycarbonate belly pan , but that's for a different discussion.
C7 's have a very high C/D number. They look like bullets but to air flow they are bricks! Why do you think GM never Quotes a C/D number for them?
The best they would offer at the official release was that the base car
(the slippery one) has a C/D close to a C6 Z-06 (.36 ) read into it what you will , but they said close to, not better than.
Like I said, different discussion .
Needless to say ,my personal C-7 LT-1 car, is very Aero Efficient.

What does any of the above have to do with the TCR-7 air intake system? Nothing.
We just do allot of R&D during product / vehicle development and we are happy to share it with our customers.

VR Tech
spinkick (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 PM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Hmmm! Out to remove the shroud duct!
The Following User Says Thank You to juanvaldez For This Useful Post:
spinkick (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:22 PM
dmhines
CF Senior Member

Interesting. Looking at the shroud it really seems the only purpose it serves is keeping water off the back of the electric radiator fan. The majority of heat passing though the radiator goes under the shroud and at lower speed I can see having no shroud cool the engine compartment much better. I removed shroud and will see if I notice any difference. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by dmhines; 10-18-2017 at 10:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmhines For This Useful Post:
Al3x_666 (01-02-2018)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 PM
robert miller
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,060 Times in 965 Posts
Default ttt

^^^^ Man nice clean looking car. Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to robert miller For This Useful Post:
spinkick (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 PM
dmhines
CF Senior Member

Notice I have bent radiator fins from the factory. Need to fix them now that shroud isnít covering them.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 PM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

They make some duck-billed pliers designed specifically for that.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 AM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

We have some R&D video's we are going to post covering some of the Aero work we did on the C-7's. Many will find them truly eye opening.
example : the duct in question - we blew 40-70 mph Air/smoke through the front grill and with the shroud duct removed not only did MORE smoke come out of the engine compartment , the air speed was higher during exit through the hood vents!

We confirmed it with the temp probe readings from inside the manifold and on the surfaces.
This happens for several reasons .
1.Air wants to fallow the roof line of the hood and Air likes to fallow a natural flow path. The engine acts as a high pressure zone and the outside air is also pulling on the air inside the engine compartment when the vehicle is moving.
2. The duct only represents about 20-25% of the radiators area. The mane fan and shroud area move far more airflow. That air has to go somewhere. Unfortunately , most of that hot air usually gets trapped, but not with the shroud duct removed!

With the shroud duct in place this is what we found.
1. The Rear of the duct looks like it has lots of taper, making the tail smaller to speed up airflow . Area to area however, shows a different story. They are closer to equal.
2. The plastic secondary part of the shroud that is attached to the hood blocks the back half of the hood vent area. blocking flow and trapping in engine heat.
3, Down force loss ? Yes and NO . With the shallow angle of attack plus a 70% head loss through the Radiator, the down force it could make is minimal at best. Since we see more flow without it , I am going to say I do not believe there is a loss at all.
Most Road Race cars would use a 45 deg angle shroud duct or steeper, combined with a min of a 50% taper to make up for some of the head loss. In some cases their Radiators can offer far better air flow than an OEM unit as well , reducing head loss.

Water dripping down into it without the shroud? sure it does, but not enough to matter. Plus Its directly in front of the engine.
As a matter of fact it will drop straight through to the concrete.
My car, however, has a full Polycarbonate belly pan , but that's for a different discussion.
C7 's have a very high C/D number. They look like bullets but to air flow they are bricks! Why do you think GM never Quotes a C/D number for them?
The best they would offer at the official release was that the base car
(the slippery one) has a C/D close to a C6 Z-06 (.36 ) read into it what you will , but they said close to, not better than.
Like I said, different discussion .
Needless to say ,my personal C-7 LT-1 car, is very Aero Efficient.

What does any of the above have to do with the TCR-7 air intake system? Nothing.
We just do allot of R&D during product / vehicle development and we are happy to share it with our customers.

VR Tech
Did you also remove the plastic part from the hood along with the radiator shroud? Is this separate from the screen on the hood itself and easily removable?

Really appreciate all of the analysis Patrick. I'm going to remove the shroud on mine, are there easy ways to test the temps under the hood? I'm looking forward to all the videos you talk about. I would be down for any quick and easy mods that support more performance. Hell, bundle the tips in with your filters and call it a "supporting gains" section to the instructions for marketing purposes. Thanks again for the help last weekend -Travis

Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Interesting. Looking at the shroud it really seems the only purpose it serves is keeping water off the back of the electric radiator fan. The majority of heat passing though the radiator goes under the shroud and at lower speed I can see having no shroud cool the engine compartment much better. I removed shroud and will see if I notice any difference. Thanks for the insight.
So clean. I see room for a turbo / supercharger where the massive intake tube use to be

I have a gs with 1500 miles and I swear my fins are bent in the same spots as yours from the factory. I wonder if its how its shipped/handled at the plant.

Are you going to remove the plastic part on the hood as well? Is that a separate piece from the opening itself?

Last edited by spinkick; 10-19-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 AM
YO-EL
CF Senior Member

Interesting. Looking at the shroud it really seems the only purpose it serves is keeping water off the back of the electric radiator fan.

So when washing your car, would you have to cover it with a rag or plastic wrap?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 AM
dmhines
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by YO-EL View Post
So when washing your car, would you have to cover it with a rag or plastic wrap?
Iím pretty sure than fan is getting wet when driving in rain anyway so there should be no reason to cover anything while washing car.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:31 AM
YO-EL
CF Senior Member

Ok..
Let us know if you notice any significant difference with the shroud removed...
Thx..
Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
dmhines
CF Senior Member

Are you going to remove the plastic part on the hood as well? Is that a separate piece from the opening itself?

I am going to leave the inlet portion on the hood ... I think the underhood would look unfinished without it .
Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Did you also remove the plastic part from the hood along with the radiator shroud? Is this separate from the screen on the hood itself and easily removable?

Really appreciate all of the analysis Patrick. I'm going to remove the shroud on mine, are there easy ways to test the temps under the hood? I'm looking forward to all the videos you talk about. I would be down for any quick and easy mods that support more performance. Hell, bundle the tips in with your filters and call it a "supporting gains" section to the instructions for marketing purposes. Thanks again for the help last weekend -Travis

So clean. I see room for a turbo / supercharger where the massive intake tube use to be

I have a gs with 1500 miles and I swear my fins are bent in the same spots as yours from the factory. I wonder if its how its shipped/handled at the plant.

YES, I removed the part that is attached to the Hood as well. That does leave some metal push clips exposed but I am not a car show guy, I am all about function, so I could care less.

One way to measure it, besides watching the heat haze rise out from the hood vents in traffic, is to use a meat temp gauge. If you are a "Griller" you prob own an electronic meat temp gauge , use that. Its not scientific, but its for your own basic knowledge. I would put it on top of the manifold cover.

I also pulled the rubber strip off at the back of the hood. It just slides off . It can be put back on later if needed.

I am sure you also saw that I do not run an engine cover and I removed the insulating cover underneath that as well.

Its TX, Its HOT and Humid 96% of the time! Controlling temps is half the battle to having a car that runs consistently.

VR tech
Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 AM
dmhines
CF Senior Member

YES, I removed the part that is attached to the Hood as well. That does leave some metal push clips exposed but I am not a car show guy, I am all about function, so I could care less.

One way to measure it, besides watching the heat haze rise out from the hood vents in traffic, is to use a meat temp gauge. If you are a "Griller" you prob own an electronic meat temp gauge , use that. Its not scientific, but its for your own basic knowledge. I would put it on top of the manifold cover.

I also pulled the rubber strip off at the back of the hood. It just slides off . It can be put back on later if needed.

I am sure you also saw that I do not run an engine cover and I removed the insulating cover underneath that as well.

Its TX, Its HOT and Humid 96% of the time! Controlling temps is half the battle to having a car that runs consistently.

VR tech
FYI ... you can see I painted my intake cover BLACK ... when I removed it to paint .. I also took off the intake insulation hoping engine would run cooler and sound cooler too. FYI - you cannot take the insulation off with tearing it in the back .. it is meant to be removed and installed with the intake manifold ...
Old 10-19-2017, 01:13 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

FYI ... you can see I painted my intake cover BLACK ... when I removed it to paint .. I also took off the intake insulation hoping engine would run cooler and sound cooler too. FYI - you cannot take the insulation off with tearing it in the back .. it is meant to be removed and installed with the intake manifold ...
Yep, discovered that as well.

VR tech

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: