C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:24 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Congrats on the new intake! The VR for the shop car came in this week, now we just need to make it work with the ECS supercharger.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:07 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Anyone have a pic of the underhood vent removed ? Would like to see it before doing it myself. I like the idea of extracting more heat under the hood if it doesnt really affect downforce. (like it matters much to me, but still...)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by WildVettes
Congrats on the new intake! The VR for the shop car came in this week, now we just need to make it work with the ECS supercharger.
WE are doing that !

VR tech
Old 10-19-2017, 02:16 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
WE are doing that !

VR tech
Should I wait then?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:17 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by spinkick
Anyone have a pic of the underhood vent removed ? Would like to see it before doing it myself. I like the idea of extracting more heat under the hood if it doesnt really affect downforce. (like it matters much to me, but still...)

I will take a pic and upload / post it later this evening , if no one else does it first.

VR tech
Old 10-19-2017, 03:27 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Are you going to be running that fast in that beast.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Did you also remove the plastic part from the hood along with the radiator shroud? Is this separate from the screen on the hood itself and easily removable?

Really appreciate all of the analysis Patrick. I'm going to remove the shroud on mine, are there easy ways to test the temps under the hood? I'm looking forward to all the videos you talk about. I would be down for any quick and easy mods that support more performance. Hell, bundle the tips in with your filters and call it a "supporting gains" section to the instructions for marketing purposes. Thanks again for the help last weekend -Travis

So clean. I see room for a turbo / supercharger where the massive intake tube use to be

I have a gs with 1500 miles and I swear my fins are bent in the same spots as yours from the factory. I wonder if its how its shipped/handled at the plant.

Are you going to remove the plastic part on the hood as well? Is that a separate piece from the opening itself?
^^ yes separate piece & it can be removed from the hood just pop in plugs is all..
Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert miller
Are you going to be running that fast in that beast.
Haha, exactly! I have this loop that I hit every day to work and if I lose downforce, well, you know what happens,fall down right at the top of that thing.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

While on the topic, what is the seal for on the back of the hood. I know z06 guys would. Remove that to hear the supercharger more? Is it supposed to keep out rain?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

While on the topic, what is the seal for on the back of the hood. I know z06 guys would. Remove that to hear the supercharger more? Is it supposed to keep out rain?
That is a standard hood seal. It holds in Heat, that's its job.

All new vehicles since 2005 have had to pass the EPA's latest test. That test NOW (2005+) includes cold start as part of the EPA /DOT test.
Cars fail that test until they get warm. They are also in open loop until they reach that particular manufacturers designated operating temp to switch to closed loop.

To pass the test , almost all manufacturers have started sealing the engine compartments , using engine covers and running 210 thermostat fan settings to get the cars as hot as possible as fast as possible to burn excess Hydrocarbons.
Good for them, Bad for performance !

Just for comparison and Off the top of my head. The average under hood temps on a 90-100Deg TX day (normal weather) (stock cars)
C5 177-185F
C-6 148-162F
C-7 160's
For comparison
Challenger Hemi 190-210F (hottest OEM I have ever measured )
Hemi truck 1500 160-170's
GTO 180-190F
G-8 180's
2010 SS Camaro 160's

VR tech
Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Well I installed my Vararam yesterday but had one part to put on today. Thanks Steve for scooting it out here. I really appreciate it. Rechecked and slightly tightened all the clamps and fittings, started up the Vette and drove around the block. It sure cleans up the engine compartment and if it works as well as the one I put on my C5 ( that was a real PITA to install) or as well as the one I put on my C6 I'll be thrilled! I'm sure it will. I'll drive it a lot more on our trip this weekend and hopefully no codes will pop up.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:38 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Well I installed my Vararam yesterday but had one part to put on today. Thanks Steve for scooting it out here. I really appreciate it. Rechecked and slightly tightened all the clamps and fittings, started up the Vette and drove around the block. It sure cleans up the engine compartment and if it works as well as the one I put on my C5 ( that was a real PITA to install) or as well as the one I put on my C6 I'll be thrilled! I'm sure it will. I'll drive it a lot more on our trip this weekend and hopefully no codes will pop up.
Give it 32 miles or so of normal driving , then let her Rip!

Have a safe Trip!

VR tech
The following users liked this post:
Mike Campbell (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I too was one of the 1st C5 guys to use the Vararam years ago, and it propelled me to quicker ET's, and win after win!!!...
I was consistently faster than similar cars with near exact weight, HP & TQ, but they were using a different intake...that changed fast.. haha,
Almost every car in the Corvette Challenge at Englishtown went with the Vararam!

Vararam is definitely going my C7! Its my pleasure car, but I want TOP performance, and quicker throttle response, so one thing I know for sure, is with the Vararam intake, if you get on it a little, this thing makes your car pull like there's no tomorrow!!!!

I'll also remove the radiator shroud too, as from what I can see, the fan motor is sealed, so water from washing, or rain (that will never happen.. haha) won't matter.

Fresh incoming air, cooler engine=top performance..

Hey, if I'm using it on my car, you KNOW it works!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:44 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

What amazes me is, why did they go though all the effort to put this shroud on the car if it's so ineffective? Emissions and laws don't make any sense.

It seems like increased velocity through the hood vent would reduce under hood lift, so it can't be for downforce. Does air really flow over more of the core of the radiator, if the shroud doesn't even cover 25 percent of the radiator? Why is it there, GM? Gimmick?

I'm also confused why that seal is on the back, but if it's for emissions, that's always going to be what they have to do vs performance, just like the intake is sound and other considerations government mandated. From what I'm reading, supercharger guys do it to hear the blower more, and the only other drawback is that when it rains the window fogs there some because of all the heat coming off the motor.

Last edited by spinkick; 10-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:12 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

On another thread about the front spoiler pieces, why does GM have the center section on base Stingrays, but NOT on Z51's or Z06's? Why spend the $.. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just omit it all-together? Go figure....
Old 10-20-2017, 06:14 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by YO-EL
On another thread about the front spoiler pieces, why does GM have the center section on base Stingrays, but NOT on Z51's or Z06's? Why spend the $.. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just omit it all-together? Go figure....
Bizarre.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by YO-EL
WELL... There are Lots of secrets to that one .
The short air dams are for the Z51 cars - This allows more air into the fender to cool the brakes , because the actual brake ducts are not as effective as they should be. Down side is that it adds massive drag to the car, by massive I mean almost 10% from what we have found.
It exposes the rear lower section of the fender liner that hangs "BELOW" the car and acts like an air brake!

In general A 10% reduction in drag is worth 2% in speed on average through a 1/4 mile. My car gained a full 3MPH in trap speed and 2 and half tenths consistently through the 1/4 mile by reducing drag.
The base cars full front air dam also reduces drag by a substantial margin.
We did months worth of aero work on these cars because we were looking at developing a product line for them. In the end, It was determined that we had enough on our plate.

VR tech

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....

Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

I will put a pic of the front of my car up on SAT and you will see "SOMETHING" is different. The best combination I found was to use the Left and Right air dams from the base car. Leave out the center section and build a TUNNEL all the way back to the rear Diff carrier. I was able to balance the airflow across the lower back section of the car by doing this.
Customers who have seen the car spot the air dams once they get up close, but they have no idea that there is a complete tunnel under the car.
Most don't even notice that the tail has been lowered about 1 inch vs the front.
Then again ,This was the point of it all.

VR Tech
The following users liked this post:
YO-EL (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 353 Posts

Well I've been following this thread with excitement from the beginning cuz I'm debating on a cai. I'm sold on one and a vararam! Reason mostly being this guy is totally impressive with all his testing !!!! Well done sir,very impressive!! Gary
Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Gary barnes 1098
Well I've been following this thread with excitement from the beginning cuz I'm debating on a cai. I'm sold on one and a vararam! Reason mostly being this guy is totally impressive with all his testing !!!! Well done sir,very impressive!! Gary
WE always appreciate the props from our customers or our potential customers on the internet.
Even on a SAT we are out testing. Its a relentless process where good enough, simply doesn't exist.

VR tech

Quick Reply: Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....