C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 PM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I just took the plunge and ordered the Intake for my Grand Sport today. I have a Mamo TB, Mamo MSD ported intake manifold and a Borla Xpipe. I run a 93 octane tune from Livernois. Does the tune help with the mass airflow problem if I end up being another of the 1%? I ask because Murphys law applies to me sometimes. I am planning on doing a dyno run soon to see what my car is putting down. Thanks

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
This particular car has the 1% mass airflow meter as we call it. All vehicles that use this meter will have the same issue of a weird or unusual reaction from the ECM. It tunes/reacts backwards.
This is all explained in a different post.
here is the link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7&goto=newpost

VR tech
Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by SFCTeach
I just took the plunge and ordered the Intake for my Grand Sport today. I have a Mamo TB, Mamo MSD ported intake manifold and a Borla Xpipe. I run a 93 octane tune from Livernois. Does the tune help with the mass airflow problem if I end up being another of the 1%? I ask because Murphys law applies to me sometimes. I am planning on doing a dyno run soon to see what my car is putting down. Thanks
The "Tune" sounds like a proper tune vs a canned tune. You will have to tweak the tune but that's about it.
You want to tweak it anyway . The VR allows so much more volume and velocity into the induction system , your tuner will be able to do things they could never do before to make more power and Torque.
Examples : Run more timing advance .
change the VVT to advance the Cam.
Lean the AFR down without detonation.

VR Tech
The following users liked this post:
SFCTeach (02-13-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Vararam TCR-7 arrived today! very excited, and I have already opened the box... so... I have a few questions.

1. Most CAI manufacturers boast improved claims based on increasing the actual surface area of the filter (i.e. BIGGER Filter). I notice that the filter included with the Vararam is identical to the Stock filter. There is a Green Filter (but it is gray in color) GF 4257. I wanted to confirm that the Vararam TCR-7 is in fact the same size filter as the stock filter?

2. I was previously going to simply do my own upgrade with a Standard Green Filter and replace the Stock so I ordered GF7225 the "Green Filter" for the C7. So when comparing them they are almost identical except one is Literally GREEN, and the Vararam is gray. So which is the better flowing GREEN / GRAY?

3. Honestly the Green costs more, but the last gray filter I saw was a dry filter. So what is the difference? Is it simply that the GF4257 is simply a Vararam specific product number for the same filter (built to order)?

L1FRDOG
Deeds, Not Words!
Old 03-28-2018, 12:09 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by L1FRDOG
Vararam TCR-7 arrived today! very excited, and I have already opened the box... so... I have a few questions.

1. Most CAI manufacturers boast improved claims based on increasing the actual surface area of the filter (i.e. BIGGER Filter). I notice that the filter included with the Vararam is identical to the Stock filter. There is a Green Filter (but it is gray in color) GF 4257. I wanted to confirm that the Vararam TCR-7 is in fact the same size filter as the stock filter?

2. I was previously going to simply do my own upgrade with a Standard Green Filter and replace the Stock so I ordered GF7225 the "Green Filter" for the C7. So when comparing them they are almost identical except one is Literally GREEN, and the Vararam is gray. So which is the better flowing GREEN / GRAY?

3. Honestly the Green costs more, but the last gray filter I saw was a dry filter. So what is the difference? Is it simply that the GF4257 is simply a Vararam specific product number for the same filter (built to order)?

L1FRDOG
Deeds, Not Words!
The filter is the Green filter . Because you can see part of the filter when the hood is opened, we simply request that Green not use the "Green colored dye" in the oil.
We do this with several of our other kits where the filter is "SEEN" when the hood is opened.
This leaves the filter a more natural color ( very light gray). This way the filter matches any car color combination.
Some car show Customers buy colored dyes to add to the clear oil to match the color of their cars as well.

VR Tech
Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 PM
kdejac
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Installed my filter yesterday and I have to say....I LOVE it. Install was pretty easy. I did make a few calls to the VR techs and they were GREAT! Even returned my call at 9PM EST. Cant beat that customer support! Great product as always!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:09 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by kdejac
Installed my filter yesterday and I have to say....I LOVE it. Install was pretty easy. I did make a few calls to the VR techs and they were GREAT! Even returned my call at 9PM EST. Cant beat that customer support! Great product as always!
Glad your enjoying your new Toy!

VR Tech
Old 03-28-2018, 06:12 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The filter is the Green filter . Because you can see part of the filter when the hood is opened, we simply request that Green not use the "Green colored dye" in the oil.
We do this with several of our other kits where the filter is "SEEN" when the hood is opened.
This leaves the filter a more natural color ( very light gray). This way the filter matches any car color combination.
Some car show Customers buy colored dyes to add to the clear oil to match the color of their cars as well.

VR Tech
Fantastic! Really appreciate the reply and info! I was not complaining I just wanted to make sure I had good answers to give to those who ask. I also will post this replay on the other discussions I asked this question.

Much appreciated!

L1FRDOG
Deeds, Not Words!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by L1FRDOG
Fantastic! Really appreciate the reply and info! I was not complaining I just wanted to make sure I had good answers to give to those who ask. I also will post this replay on the other discussions I asked this question.

Much appreciated!

L1FRDOG
Deeds, Not Words!
No problem , we just like to make sure our Corvette customers are always well informed on the how and whys.

VR tech
L1FRDOG (03-28-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 02:38 PM
speedsquad
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Z06?

Patrick: Any news yet on the C7 Z06 VaraRam? Looking at it for a 2017 Z06 in particular.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Al3x_666
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsquad
patrick: Any news yet on the c7 z06 vararam? Looking at it for a 2017 z06 in particular.
x2 !
Old 04-06-2018, 01:54 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by speedsquad
Patrick: Any news yet on the C7 Z06 VaraRam? Looking at it for a 2017 Z06 in particular.
YES.
I have been testing Like a Mad trying to rack up test miles on each model year of Z-06.
So Far the unit is adding up to 2 PSI of boost W/Zero Knock Retard and cam timing is at fully commanded numbers!
The AFR is also in line with what we were looking for .

The only thing that slowed us down was that one of our test cars got a hold of some bad gas . Unfortunately we had to run the gas out of the tank and check the fuel system for further contamination. We are using the same test unit from car to car for accurate data correlation in similar DA conditions.
I am hoping we can go to full production some time next week after we re-verify the unit on the car.

Just an FYI- Z-06's that get bad gas ,go to reduced engine power until its all run out.

VR Tech
Old 04-07-2018, 10:04 AM
cstapp99
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Question removed. Found my answer buried in the thread.

Last edited by cstapp99; 04-07-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:43 PM
cstapp99
Racer

New question - is water intrusion from the hood/fender seam a concern? Seems like it could enter using the same path the air does.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:19 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by cstapp99
New question - is water intrusion from the hood/fender seam a concern? Seems like it could enter using the same path the air does.
No, it is a Non issue.
Water is 784 times denser than air , plus GM made a natural channel where the fender attaches to the car as part of the fender molding. If you open your hood and feel or look you will see the reverse arch. Its about .125-.150 deep.
We also have twin drain holes inside the plenum.
I drove my car through about 30 miles of Tropical storm Harvey on the freeway with zero issue as well. I was hydroplaning at 40-45MPH and I could barely see out of the windshield. Not my smartest choice but a test I wanted to do anyway.
When I got home and opened my hood ,I had some droplets inside the channel but that was it.

VR tech
Old 04-07-2018, 04:38 PM
cstapp99
Racer

No, it is a Non issue.
Water is 784 times denser than air , plus GM made a natural channel where the fender attaches to the car as part of the fender molding. If you open your hood and feel or look you will see the reverse arch. Its about .125-.150 deep.
We also have twin drain holes inside the plenum.
I drove my car through about 30 miles of Tropical storm Harvey on the freeway with zero issue as well. I was hydroplaning at 40-45MPH and I could barely see out of the windshield. Not my smartest choice but a test I wanted to do anyway.
When I got home and opened my hood ,I had some droplets inside the channel but that was it.

VR tech
Awesome. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:35 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by cstapp99

Awesome. Thank you.
No problem

VR tech
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 AM
Cherry1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back to this if I may, VaraRam Ind. What is the proper way for the battery disconnect please? I'm seeing conflicting things, Disconnect Positive and Negative terminals to do a start from scratch learning process??? Just the Negative. I want to do it correctly. Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....

Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cherry1
Back to this if I may, VaraRam Ind. What is the proper way for the battery disconnect please? I'm seeing conflicting things, Disconnect Positive and Negative terminals to do a start from scratch learning process??? Just the Negative. I want to do it correctly. Thank you!
I suppose there will be two types of suggestions. Personally, I completed my install. I did NOT disconnect the battery, and threw a CEL as soon as I started up... I took her out for a drive on the highway for 40 mins and CEL cleared, never to return. I've seen this posted as a solution multiple times and sometimes the car just needs to reset after you messed with the MAF sensor.

Sorry, it's not a complicated response, it just worked.

L1FRDOG
Deeds, Not Words

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 04-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Cherry1
Simply disconnecting the negative end works just fine.
I have been doing it that way on 2014-2018's LT-1's and Z-06's alike.

VR tech
L1FRDOG (04-24-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:01 AM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s been a couple of months since I added the cold air intake. I wanted to post a little update on how happy I am with this since it’s now warming up and I’m driving my car a lot more. My car is tuned by Livernois and they sent me a specific tune file that included the Vararam. I still have not been on the Dyno yet but all is good and I have the bonus of the sound of a turbo on my car. People in my club asked if I install the turbo over the winter when in fact it’s just cold air intake!

Quick Reply: Vararam TCR-7 CAI installed ....