C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMS filter VS K&N $60 filter Real World

Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
It's a paper air filter, $100 is a lot for something that gets tossed in the trash. If you're spending that kind of money, might as well get something washable/reusable that will last the life of the car.
You know why the factory filters are not reusable right? It's because paper filters provide better filtration. If you guys want an oiled/reusable filter in the same design we can certainly make them for you. It winds up being cheaper too.

On trying to find a 10hp difference at the track it's going to be tricky. On our Z06 my runs vary as much as 2-3mph same day depending on how the launches goes, cool down, which way wind is blowing, barometric pressure, and other ambient conditions.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
You know why the factory filters are not reusable right? It's because paper filters provide better filtration. If you guys want an oiled/reusable filter in the same design we can certainly make them for you. It winds up being cheaper too.
Seems like a win-win to me. Oiled cotton gauze and dry reusable media have proven themselves to many in the market, and for those who want the ultimate filtration that paper offers, they'll still have your disposable version available. The way I see it, this would make everybody happy and only increase your potential customer base

Last edited by Kracka; 10-18-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:53 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Last week again with the BMS filter, as you can see I run very consistent, weather was similar or better but no improvement over the K&N. Have not been able to get as good of a 60' time with the BMS filter. I removed the BMS filter today and reinstalled the K&N for the next run at Irwindale again for comparison. I have not seen any performance advantage or magic yet with the BMS throw away filter over the $60.00 K&N.
Attached Images  

Last edited by C2367; 10-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:56 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 323 Posts

Oiled or not, get the best flowing filter you can for your environment. If its dusty you may need the paper element. You can send your oil out for analysis and see what crap is making it into your engine and make your decision from there.

I know the oiled filter guys want you to clean your filter at every oil change, bms i think is 30k miles?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

I like this comparison AFE has of their 3 types of filter media about halfway down the page. It compares oiled cotton gauze vs. dry synthetic vs. cotton/synthetic hybrid: http://afepower.com/stock-replacemen...ce-air-filters

Here's more good info on AFE's ProGuard cotton/synthetic hybrid media: https://www.xtremediesel.com/afepro-...ltermedia.aspx

They don't make a C7 filter with it yet, but I'm sure with enough interest they would.

Last edited by Kracka; 10-19-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:23 PM
C2367
Drifting

I like this comparison AFE has of their 3 types of filter media about halfway down the page. It compares oiled cotton gauze vs. dry synthetic vs. cotton/synthetic hybrid: http://afepower.com/stock-replacemen...ce-air-filters

Here's more good info on AFE's ProGuard cotton/synthetic hybrid media: https://www.xtremediesel.com/afepro-...ltermedia.aspx

They don't make a C7 filter with it yet, but I'm sure with enough interest they would.
The BMS filter has Poor Workmanship and Quality Control. The filter I received as you can is should have been a reject by looking at the uneven endcaps and the base.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

If there is ever a concern with the filter definitely contact us before installing so we can look in to it for you. Looking at the photos though seems fine to me. They are hand set in molds so there will be some variance from filter to filter. That filter would not be flagged by our QC.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 06-10-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:42 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

I like this comparison AFE has of their 3 types of filter media about halfway down the page.
We use S&B to manufacture ours and the paper material being used is ISO-certified.

https://www.sbfilters.com/cleanable-vs-dry
Old 06-10-2018, 04:37 PM
C2367
Drifting

If there is ever a concern with the filter definitely contact us before installing so we can look in to it for you. Looking at the photos though seems fine to me. They are hand set in molds so there will be some variance from filter to filter. That filter would not be flagged by our QC.
I Agree, would of been nice if you would of offered a Phone number at the time to contact / speak to anyone. Don't understand why you did not offer a business phone number at the time, do you now?
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C2367
I Agree, would of been nice if you would of offered a Phone number at the time to contact / speak to anyone. Don't understand why you did not offer a business phone number at the time, do you now?
So you attempted to contact us but was unable to do so? There are 10 people here full time. The same website you ordered the filter from tells you how to contact us. Via email at all hours, or via website chat during normal business hours. And of course a few of us roam the forums like I am doing now.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:26 PM
C2367
Drifting

So you attempted to contact us but was unable to do so? There are 10 people here full time. The same website you ordered the filter from tells you how to contact us. Via email at all hours, or via website chat during normal business hours. And of course a few of us roam the forums like I am doing now.
Could you please post your Business / support phone number?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Could you please post your Business / support phone number?
We canceled our business phone system around mid 2010. Took a ridiculous amount of staff running it to achieve sub-par results compared to chat/email sales & support. If we had it around today we'd have to raise prices 20-30% just to make up the extra expenses.

If you have any further questions on the filter feel free to contact us!

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 06-10-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 PM
C2367
Drifting

We canceled our business phone system around mid 2010. Took a ridiculous amount of staff running it to achieve sub-par results compared to chat/email sales & support. If we had it around today we'd have to raise prices 20-30% just to make up the extra expenses.

If you have any further questions on the filter feel free to contact us!
Please reply with a contact number, cell or ? Even I have a cell #. Don't understand how you have a business without a phone, it is tool.
I pay $25.00 p/m for my cell, how do people call you?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:41 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Please reply with a contact number, cell or ? Even I have a cell #. Don't understand how you have a business without a phone, it is tool.
I pay $25.00 p/m for my cell, how do people call you?
We all have phones. But BMS does not conduct any business by phone.

Grabbed a couple photos of new filters on the shelf, you can see they all look the same. The base is slightly thicker in the mid point for structural purposes. They are hand molded so there will be some unit to unit variance on the seam but nothing that would effect performance.

You're making an fairly inflammatory claim that they are "low quality" and I'm happy to refute that here. The molds are designed to maximize flow, the paper material itself is close to OEM spec, and we have many hundreds of customers running it with great feedback. It's an air filter not a piece of jewelry so at this price point it seems your expectations of how it's going to look might be unrealistic.

In terms of the filters performance it was designed for the C7 Z06 power levels and we've seen dyno gains of 40whp+ on Z06 models with just the filter. On your naturally aspirated power levels if the K&N is not a restriction then this filter isn't going to offer any performance difference for you. But it certainly is going to filter better over time than cotton/oiled material and you won't have filter oil coating your MAF over time. To many it's worth $29 over the K&N not to mention you're supporting the forum via our advertising fees. To you it may not be. It's just another option for people out there.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 06-10-2018 at 06:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Terry@BMS:
jimtreber (02-16-2019), Mk3chris (07-05-2018), Sellout (06-10-2018), Yourconfused (02-18-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 01:05 AM
ojulian
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We all have phones. But BMS does not conduct any business by phone.

Grabbed a couple photos of new filters on the shelf, you can see they all look the same. The base is slightly thicker in the mid point for structural purposes. They are hand molded so there will be some unit to unit variance on the seam but nothing that would effect performance.

You're making an fairly inflammatory claim that they are "low quality" and I'm happy to refute that here. The molds are designed to maximize flow, the paper material itself is close to OEM spec, and we have many hundreds of customers running it with great feedback. It's an air filter not a piece of jewelry so at this price point it seems your expectations of how it's going to look might be unrealistic.

In terms of the filters performance it was designed for the C7 Z06 power levels and we've seen dyno gains of 40whp+ on Z06 models with just the filter. On your naturally aspirated power levels if the K&N is not a restriction then this filter isn't going to offer any performance difference for you. But it certainly is going to filter better over time than cotton/oiled material and you won't have filter oil coating your MAF over time. To many it's worth $29 over the K&N not to mention you're supporting the forum via our advertising fees. To you it may not be. It's just another option for people out there.
Hello Terry - Quick Question? Are your filters washable / reusable?
The following users liked this post:
NortonCO (02-21-2020)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 323 Posts

Have you guys seen the new polyester filters they are coming out with? My Duc. has a sprint air filter that is made with some material that they claim is clean and filters almost as well as paper. "almost" is always the subjective part.

http://www.sprintfilter.net/en/bike/whysfs

Honestly, if you are worried your filter isnt working well, you have to get your oil tested in a lab and see what kind of materials are finding their way into your engine. Replace your oil filter often, and have analysis done. Everything else is guessing.

Drag strip will tell you if the extra flow really works for you.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:20 AM
AEK
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I received my BMS filter last week and installed it yesterday. Compared to other paper filters for various cars that I've purchased from a multitude of manufacturers, the BMS unit appears to me to be of higher-than average construction quality. Visually, it certainly provides a noticeably larger "throat" than the stock filter.

In terms of performance improvement, I'm not expecting much (2014 C7 Z51 M7). It does seem to have improved off-idle response, but that could just be me imagining things.

I do the Blackstone labs oil analysis on a regular basis, and I'll see how things test out after my next oil change. This next oil change will have been almost exclusively with the BMS filter in place ...

I'm a satisfied BMS customer.

Get notified of new replies

To BMS filter VS K&N $60 filter Real World

Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM
1BadRS
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

You didn't get any codes after installing this filter on the LT1?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 AM
AEK
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadRS
You didn't get any codes after installing this filter on the LT1?
After three days of driving, no codes. Other than a Tony Mamo ported TB, my LT1 is completely stock, no tune, etc.

Last edited by AEK; 02-20-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:15 AM
1BadRS
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the follow up. Those are the two mods I'd consider doing on mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMS filter VS K&N $60 filter Real World