C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Fail? 2018 GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:44 AM
Poppacapp
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRSOLO
Yeah, the easiest 214 miles I ever drove. It had 11 miles Saturday at noon and then 214 when I got home that afternoon. What a fun car! I can't believe how smooth it is on the road.
Oh yeah, the car is for sure the most fun one to drive I have every owned. I have taken full day mountain trips just to drive it. Top off, wind, sun and curves. All I need
Old 10-17-2017, 10:53 AM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by phil hunter
Not sure 500 miles will do it. I had over 600 miles on mine when it failed the emissions test. O2 sensors not ready. GM Bulletin 15-NA-010 says it can take up to 1000 miles, possibly more. I did the GM drive cycle 5 times as well. Fortunately, I was able to get a waiver from the referee. Now good for 6 years.
When you say "Waiver", is this a document or something you had to go to a Chevy dealer with the vehicle to obtain?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Nope, dealer not involved, except to give me the Tech Bulletin. Yes, it is a document that you must take to the local DMV office. In California, the DMV maintains a referee system specifically to address cars that fail the emissions test. You have to make an appointment with the nearest referee, and he will inspect and test your vehicle. The "referee" has the power to grant a waiver, passing the car.

Phil
Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Thank god I live in Michigan. No tests.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 PM
777200B
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was delivered this week and failed emissions. I called MacMulkin. They said the drive cycle was 150 miles.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:08 PM
phil hunter
Pro

GM Service Bulletin 15-NA-010 says up to 1000 miles for all from 2015 through 2017.

Phil
Old 10-22-2017, 04:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

There is no mileage number that equates to a Drive Cycle completion no matter what GM says. It is theoretically possible to drive a million miles and not complete the drive cycle even once. Say you live in downtown Singapore or Manhattan and don't drive in the middle of the night. If that would be the case you would never complete steps 4, 5, 6, and/or 7. Ever. OTOH if you have a reasonable traffic situation available you can complete once iteration of each of the 8 steps in the drive cycle in less than 25 miles and 30 minutes if you approach it step by step. Do note that GM has said it may take 5 iterations of the complete drive cycle to complete all monitors.

Now I would ask the op which monitors show as incomplete? If you know that you can do the steps that are specific to that monitor and save a ton of time and a ton of miles. And if you don't know that you should. Most autoparts stores will check your pcm for free. Simply ask they how many monitors have completed and how many and which ones are yet to be complete then do the steps for that remaining monitor.

Additionally although the drive cycle is consistent for each manufacturer over the OBDII computers, the emissions laws are state specific. So asking for help without stating a specific state is not going to get you the help you want. Correct information has been posted for California where a state referee is available to help you if you are unable to understand the drive cycle or unable to complete it for some reason. That however is specific to new cars brought in from out of state to California with low or no miles (less than 7500). Your state will have its own laws and regulations.

But mindlessly driving around trying to hope your monitors magically complete is not very effective. Simply try and remember when you were able to hold a steady state speed of 55 mph for 5 minutes without actually concentrating on doing exactly that. Think about the last time you decelerated from 55 mph to 20 mph without touching the brake, accelerator, clutch or shifter unless you were concentrating on exactly that. Think about the last time you have started the car and let it idle for 150 seconds with the AC on and the rear and front defrosters on?? I would guess you would never do that unless you wanted to do that exact step. These steps of the drive cycle are not something you would normally encounter in daily driving.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:37 PM
phil hunter
Pro

I did the drive cycle 5 times to no avail, car had 617 miles on it when it failed, last set of O2 sensors not ready. Here is the Tech Bulletin from GM. Apparently, there is a minimum number of miles that be driven in a new vehicle before the ECM will allow the post catalytic converter sensors to reset. Miles depends upon the vehicle and equipment. Here is the Bulletin:
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2017, 09:41 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Thank you. Very enlightening.

It kinda sucks that they don't tell you the break in miles for your Corvette Z06. So it could be as much as 1000 miles for the cats to complete their monitor, but it could be 500 miles and they are not willing to tell you what it is. It seems like this is a problem that GM needs to correct in their software. If the software won't allow the monitors to be set for states that require them than that is a GM problem not an owner and not a state problem. Another way to look at this is that they are selling a car as ready for the road that is not ready for the road in many states.

Frankly I would be very upset if GM sold me a car that couldn't be used because it could not legally be titled in my state. It is most fortunate that California has the referee system to get around the titling issue. I expect that there are many states not as up to date. I wonder if the EPA and CARB know that the catalyst does not work to GM's satisfaction for up to 1000 miles?

Last edited by pkincy; 10-22-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 AM
phil hunter
Pro

This is only a problem in CA if the car is purchased new in another state and does not have the CA specific smog sticker, which was the case with my car. If the car has the CA smog sticker, no smog check is required for the first 6 years.

Phil
Old 10-23-2017, 11:53 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Correct and thanks for figuring the referee thing out, but it adds another step that makes it harder to buy from a national dealer to use a car in CA. I bought in NCal and drove the car down here so didn't have to do anything but that 500 miles would have been about half of the cat break in. I still wonder if CARB knows that GM doesn't consider the cats viable until they have been run for 1000 miles.

Just reread the TSB and GM says they did get CARB approval for cats not being viable for 1000 miles.

Last edited by pkincy; 10-23-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:20 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Emissions Fail? 2018 GS