C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH Mid Length Headers Feedback

Old 10-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARH Mid Length Headers Feedback

Hi All,

Looking for more sound/volume from the stock NPP (C7Z). I was thinking either Corsa or Borla x pipe. However, I saw that ARH is offering mid length headers for stock/no tune. I don't want to void the warranty or risk it.

I'm looking for some feedback on the ARH mid length headers with cats. I was thinking of going this route, but was wondering how many people are getting CEL's after the install with stock tune.

Is anyone seeing a CEL with no tune?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

A local guy here still needed to disable the check engine light with his ARH catted mid-lengths.

IMHO, the best 100% stock tune safe setup with no risk of a check engine light is ported stock exhaust manifolds + stock primary cats + Borla catless X-pipe. This route will be cheaper than a set of ARH catted mids and make similar power.

Last edited by Kracka; 10-16-2017 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fatsport (10-22-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kracka
A local guy here still needed to disable the check engine light with his ARH catted mid-lengths.

IMHO, the best 100% stock tune safe setup with no risk of a check engine light is ported stock exhaust manifolds + stock primary cats + Borla catless X-pipe. This route will be cheaper than a set of ARH catted mids and make similar power.
Do you know of a shop that ports stock exhaust manifolds?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:12 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Hand Eye 8
Hi All,

Looking for more sound/volume from the stock NPP (C7Z). I was thinking either Corsa or Borla x pipe. However, I saw that ARH is offering mid length headers for stock/no tune. I don't want to void the warranty or risk it.

I'm looking for some feedback on the ARH mid length headers with cats. I was thinking of going this route, but was wondering how many people are getting CEL's after the install with stock tune.

Thanks
1-3/4" is a little small for a Z06 IMHO

Regards
Chip
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM
countryroads
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Thanks
I have a 2017 Grand Sport with Haltech CAI, ARH mid-length headers with hi flow cats, Borla X pipe, with factory tune. I have over 2,500 miles on them without throwing CEL. I kept the stock muffler with NPP. I love the sound and with the headers you get the added benefit of extra HP compared to no HP gain from after market mufflers. I highly recommend the headers if you are looking for big sound, some extra kick, and don't want to mess with tune from long headers. The cost of headers and install was no more than aftermarket mufflers with NPP. The only reason I would consider an after market muffler at this point would be to change the tone as the headers and X-pipe added a ton of volume.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 363 Posts

I occasionally got a CEL with the ARH mid-length headers so shut off the CEL for the rear rear O2. Same thing with a friend if mine. We were early adopters of the mid-length headers.

I had the car into the dealer last week for minor warranty work because the PTM system wasn't there. They didn't bat an eye when I mentioned I had turned off the rear O2 CEL and disabled CAGS. They even went to extra effort to update the PCM software to get PTM working but not write over the tune I had done.

I don't think the mid-length headers sound as good as the full length I had on my C6. They sound a little sour to me.

Last edited by RussM05; 10-17-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Early mid-lengths reported some CEL issues but, I have not had any issues with mine. Long tube - you have to tune. Mid-length you don't have to tune it - makes the argument easier from a warranty perspective in my mind.

I did the Corsa off road x-pipe with the stock NPP - it made it a little louder, a little more raspy. It's a nice bump but don't expect too much. Then I added the Borla Atak dual modes. Deeper sound, got rid of the stock NPP raspy, tiny sound. But, not loud enough for me. Did the ARH mid-lengths and was much much happier with the sound - and performance increase.

If I had to do it all over, I would start with the headers and then work back as needed.

silke69slim (02-26-2022)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 363 Posts

ARH replaced our CATS after we got CEL. They included new O2 bung extensions so I believe we have the final configuration.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Do you know of a shop that ports stock exhaust manifolds?
Ruben @ SoCal Porting does, and has a set of cores for exchange.
https://socalporting.com/our-services/porting/ (bottom picture is a C7 collector)

Last edited by Kracka; 10-17-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Originally Posted by countryroads
I have a 2017 Grand Sport with Haltech CAI, ARH mid-length headers with hi flow cats, Borla X pipe, with factory tune. I have over 2,500 miles on them without throwing CEL. I kept the stock muffler with NPP. I love the sound and with the headers you get the added benefit of extra HP compared to no HP gain from after market mufflers. I highly recommend the headers if you are looking for big sound, some extra kick, and don't want to mess with tune from long headers. The cost of headers and install was no more than aftermarket mufflers with NPP. The only reason I would consider an after market muffler at this point would be to change the tone as the headers and X-pipe added a ton of volume.
Exactly what I was looking for. I might keep the stock H pipe with the cats. Not sure yet. I was looking at the Borla X pipe also. This is probably the set I will go with.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm coming from a H/C/I 08 Z06 with Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes with Corsa Sport Axle back. That was pretty loud. I'm not looking to replace the factory NPP. I like the fact that I can still put the NPP in Stealth mode with headers for the neighborhood.

Added HP is a bonus.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

No issues whatsoever. Sounds amazing.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:23 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

Might dump my axle back and get headers instead..

-Josh
Old 10-20-2017, 10:50 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Have early ARH mids, with hi-flo cats. Threw CEL constantly. Had to drive around with a hand held scanner to turn off the light. Got real good at doing this on the fly. I contacted ARH about this, they did offer to sell me a new set of cats to the tune of $900 +.

I wound up having to tune the car.....
Old 10-21-2017, 07:25 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 323 Posts

Why go through all that work and not do full headers?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by spinkick
Why go through all that work and not do full headers?
We sell a ton of these just because of the NO TUNE...

https://www.corvettepartsandaccessor...racing-headers

Regards
Chip
Z06NJ (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Custom Corvette Accessories
We sell a ton of these just because of the NO TUNE...

https://www.corvettepartsandaccessor...racing-headers

Regards
Chip
It seems like if you don't have to tune, how much power potential is in the part to begin with? If it doesn't affect the system enough to need tuning, it's more or less lateral movement

Last edited by spinkick; 10-21-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ARH Mid Length Headers Feedback

Old 10-21-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by spinkick
It seems like if you don't have to tune, how much power potential is in the part to begin with? If it doesn't affect the system enough to need tuning, it's more or less lateral movement
Generally - about half is what we see... (of long tubes and a tune)

Plus the way more better sound

Regards
Chip
Z06NJ (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Can't discount the sound, that's for sure!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:10 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 893 Likes on 537 Posts

Why risk the warranty on your Z06 for 20 horsepower. Borla X-pipe gives a great sound increase, is lighter, and adds a couple hp. Awesome mod!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ARH Mid Length Headers Feedback