C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 Misfire just above Idle 5836 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 11:31 PM
mrxclusive21
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C7 Z06 Misfire just above Idle 5836 miles

I recently purchased a 2016 Z06 with Z07 package car has 5836 miles . I kept getting a check engine light so I took it in to be checked out . so far they have checked the injectors , rocker arms & Valve springs & nothing seems to be wrong . the issue has now been escalated to tier two trouble shooting & they are recommending that the Heads be pulled off of the car ! the car is bone stock , I've seen other people have issues with the motors just wondering if I can get some advice as far as what options I should exercise as far as wanting a new motor or asking them to take the car back. Ive had it a total of 33 days and its been in the shop 11 of them.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:09 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Keep a logbook of dates that it is in the shop along with paperwork. In the unlikely event you need to lemon law the car later, better to have your details in order and organized up front.

All that said removing the heads isn't cataclysmic, I could do that reliably myself, so a GM tech should have no trouble.

I wouldn't think you have any ground to stand on for a new motor or a new car due to a misfire yet!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:25 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Keep a logbook of dates that it is in the shop along with paperwork. In the unlikely event you need to lemon law the car later, better to have your details in order and organized up front.

All that said removing the heads isn't cataclysmic, I could do that reliably myself, so a GM tech should have no trouble.

I wouldn't think you have any ground to stand on for a new motor or a new car due to a misfire yet!
Even more on the log on what was told to you my dealer & also date's & remarks all of them..

ASK THEM can they nail it down to just one of the 8 hole, Maybe a bad plug r bad plug wire r being a little off the coil r plug, are even a bad coil. You have said inj good so not that & springs & all.

Last edited by robert miller; 10-20-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Little Red Corvette1
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default Spark plugs can fail early on blown engines.......

I had a similar issue at a one mile race. The issue was spark plugs at about 8,000 miles. They look good. The platinum coating wears off, I hear? Below are pics:

Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

As Robert said they need to nail it down to which cylinder (or cylinders) have the issue. The ECM tracks and reports a misfire count by cylinder so it would make no sense for them to be pulling both heads unless it has the odd case of a misfire on both sides.

An engine that runs normally at idle but misfires above that range most likely has a defective coil pack, plug, or connector. If it is actively misfiring while driving the CEL should be flashing during the misfire event; this is standard behavior for the OBD-II system because it indicates a condition where raw fuel (due to misfire) could be entering the cats leading to severe overheating.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NSC5
As Robert said they need to nail it down to which cylinder (or cylinders) have the issue. The ECM tracks and reports a misfire count by cylinder so it would make no sense for them to be pulling both heads unless it has the odd case of a misfire on both sides.

An engine that runs normally at idle but misfires above that range most likely has a defective coil pack, plug, or connector. If it is actively misfiring while driving the CEL should be flashing during the misfire event; this is standard behavior for the OBD-II system because it indicates a condition where raw fuel (due to misfire) could be entering the cats leading to severe overheating.
Plus OP as this other guy has said on the plug problem, On these DI motors are set up plugs in these cars can look 100% good but it can be total bad fault out are like he has said to you.

Ask me also how I know that a tuner are so called one had my car couldn't get it to run per say at all on its on. Yes would start then just start misfiring like crazy then die. I told him to chg out the plugs in the car. He day after day would say couldn't find the problem but the plugs was good. After over 2 weeks of him saying he has done this & that but no chg I told him I was coming after the car.

He then chg out the plug & car ran like a dream. So get it to someone that can tell you which hole it is & just work on that hole. Are if me & I had the car I would chg out the plug myself & make sure all plug wires are really good on both ends.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:36 AM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Misfire

Had a misfire on mine with just over 200 miles on the odometer. Dealer diagnosed it as one bad plug/wire on one cylinder. After replacing that plug and wire all is good.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by snomuncher
Had a misfire on mine with just over 200 miles on the odometer. Dealer diagnosed it as one bad plug/wire on one cylinder. After replacing that plug and wire all is good.
Glad your dealer had a good service guy that got it. Guy you cant look at these plugs from this LT motor & just from looking think it is good just from the looks of it.

Plus also only play around with the plug wires & it feels like it is good on the plug that thing is a bear to fully be on it so you don't get a misfire. Robert
Old 10-24-2017, 12:16 AM
mrxclusive21
Advanced

Default Update

Thanks for all of the replies and info . Unfortunately the dealership has yet to come up with anything & I told them if the have to pull the heads of the car I no longer want it . I called GM customer service and also let them know how I felt about the situation . I’m pretty sure it sounds like I’m Being a Tight A** but this whole situation has kileld my vibe. I have headers , pulley , meth kit & haltech AC & heat exchanger upgrade sitting in the garage that were scheduled to go on this car at the end of November . Luckily for me they weren’t on before it took a dive .

A GM field Engineer has been scheduled to come out this week . I guess I’ll have to wait and see what happens .
Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 PM
mrxclusive21
Advanced

Default Update 3/31

So the computer has been changed as recommend by the GM field engineer they have also changed the tensioner pulley which I have no idea why . I asked them for my money back based on the fact it’s been almost 30 days and they have no idea what is wrong with my car .

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 Misfire just above Idle 5836 miles

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 Misfire just above Idle 5836 miles