C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Performance "Use it or Lose it" Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:00 PM
650hpvette
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z06 Performance "Use it or Lose it" Question

I just purchased my first Corvette a few weeks ago and I am so excited, I love it! My question is, I own a Z06 with Z07, so its made to run on the track. If I do not run her on the track, will she over time, lose some performance capability? I have never been to a track to watch a race let alone drive at a race track. However, that will change soon, in a few weeks, I am going to Las Vegas and will spend some time at a place called Exotic Racing, I will get some instruction and then take a Z06 on the track for several laps, can't wait, but not sure I want to run my car like that. Please share your thoughts about USE IT OR LOSE IT WITH MY Z06.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!!!

No problem!! Your car will be a great street machine - even if you never take it to the track.

However, did you buy it new???

If so, you really need to attend the Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain - about 50 miles west of Las Vegas in Pahrump.

For $1000 you get two days of excellent classroom instruction, and you drive their cars on wet skid pad exercises, and track driving - plus they put you up in their condos and you get breakfast and lunch!! It would be MUCH better than the Exotic Racing few laps around their track. Every owner who buys a new Vette should take advantage of the Spring Mountain course. You need to attend within your first year of ownership of a new Corvette:

https://www.springmountainmotorsport...-owners-school
The following 3 users liked this post by BEZ06:
650hpvette (10-20-2017), desmophile (10-21-2017), lavett (07-08-2023)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:49 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default learning to drive C7 Z06

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Welcome to the forum!!!!

No problem!! Your car will be a great street machine - even if you never take it to the track.

However, did you buy it new???

If so, you really need to attend the Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain - about 50 miles west of Las Vegas in Pahrump.

For $1000 you get two days of excellent classroom instruction, and you drive their cars on wet skid pad exercises, and track driving - plus they put you up in their condos and you get breakfast and lunch!! It would be MUCH better than the Exotic Racing few laps around their track. Every owner who buys a new Vette should take advantage of the Spring Mountain course. You need to attend within your first year of ownership of a new Corvette:

https://www.springmountainmotorsport...-owners-school
I concur BEZ06

I have been to both. Spring Mountain is far more valuable. They know the C7. At Exotic Racing, not so much.

If you didn't buy new and get the GM help with the 2 day owner course, spend a little more and at least drive the Stingray at Spring Mountain, less expensive than driving the Z06 but the same instruction. You can still go fast in the Stingray if you know what you are doing. The instructors can drive a Camaro, look in the rear view mirror and talk with you, and leave you in the dust if they wanted.

As for your Z06 "loosing performance". On the street, it could loose 20% power and you wouldn't miss it. Heck, the GS is more than you can really use on the street except on a freeway onramp
The following users liked this post:
650hpvette (10-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:52 PM
16C7Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Another reason why I bought a stingray over the z06, I can at least open it up and hold it for a few seconds, the z06 when I test drove it I said to myself this is a track car. Nevertheless you'll always have a smile.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:09 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Depending on how it was driven from 0 miles it may have already lost performance.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Actually, performance will increase initially for some time until the ring seal hits its maximum and then slowly degrade by a few percent over the next hundred+ thousand miles.

But to answer the OP's question, no, there is no "use it or lose it" aspect to the Z.

Definitely do Spring Mountain though.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 650hpvette
I just purchased my first Corvette a few weeks ago and I am so excited, I love it! My question is, I own a Z06 with Z07, so its made to run on the track. If I do not run her on the track, will she over time, lose some performance capability? I have never been to a track to watch a race let alone drive at a race track. However, that will change soon, in a few weeks, I am going to Las Vegas and will spend some time at a place called Exotic Racing, I will get some instruction and then take a Z06 on the track for several laps, can't wait, but not sure I want to run my car like that. Please share your thoughts about USE IT OR LOSE IT WITH MY Z06.
There isn't any use it or lose it concerns. However, if you drive on the streets a lot the car will learn your driving patterns and adjust to them to some degree. When you go to the track you will notice the car change as certain things happen at different times compared to when you aren't on the throttle as much. Top speed may increase by a 3 or 4 mph, items that switch on or off due to coolant temperature may change the temperature at which they activate. It is a bunch of little things that most people don't notice while driving the car. After you go home it will slowly go back to the way it was until you spend some hours on the track again. If you spend a lot of time at the track the exhaust seems to get louder and on my Z06 I notice while driving on the street with the exhaust set in Track Mode it stays open most of the time Vs not opening below 3500 rpm like it isn't supposed to do.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
MitchSpence (06-15-2023)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There isn't any use it or lose it concerns. However, if you drive on the streets a lot the car will learn your driving patterns and adjust to them to some degree. When you go to the track you will notice the car change as certain things happen at different times compared to when you aren't on the throttle as much. Top speed may increase by a 3 or 4 mph, items that switch on or off due to coolant temperature may change the temperature at which they activate. It is a bunch of little things that most people don't notice while driving the car. After you go home it will slowly go back to the way it was until you spend some hours on the track again. If you spend a lot of time at the track the exhaust seems to get louder and on my Z06 I notice while driving on the street with the exhaust set in Track Mode it stays open most of the time Vs not opening below 3500 rpm like it isn't supposed to do.

Bill
The exhaust comment is purely in your head. In track mode, it is always open except for 4th and 5th gear below 1750 rpm (or maybe just 4th).

OP, the only problem with getting a Z07 package is you'll lose tire grip quickly since you're running track tires on the street. May want to invest in getting rid of the pilot sport cup 2s if you don't plan on doing more than 1 or 2 track days a year. Unless you're a fan of burning money on tires. Also, I guess you don't mind the excessive aero and suspension stiffness.

I get it, some people just NEED to have the top of line vehicle. But buying a z07 package with no intent to track the car is dumb in my opinion.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 AM
Faron79
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Exotics-Racing last September!!

Drove the Ferrari F430, their "entry-level" Ferrari. Wow! The paddle-shifters shifted almost violently! It's hard to get used to that kind of car in only 5 laps. Sadly, the highest speed I hit was 105.....

You should see how they run their Black Z06 Drift cars! Holy sh*t!! SHREDS of rubber hanging off when they get back! They always pull them up to portable coolers when they're done.

Faron

Last edited by Faron79; 11-20-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: couldn't see pic!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
The exhaust comment is purely in your head. In track mode, it is always open except for 4th and 5th gear below 1750 rpm (or maybe just 4th).
Just saw this comment. I am talking about 4th, 5th and 6th. I use those gears all the time when driving around town. I only use the first three to get the car away from a stop. Once it is in the upper 20s it is in 4th gear, mid 30s in fifth and 40 and above in 6th. I keep in town rpms below 1500 rpm most of the time.

Bill
Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Z07 is commonly added by dealers on inventory cars. I know a few who have picked it because they want the CCB, but don't realize you get other suspension changes too. Some dealers have wrongly suggested you can't get the CCBs without Z07. Uless you know all the details about why Z07 was picked, it's probably best not to comment.

As to the OP > I've had several sports cars, including my 4th Corvette. I will say that if you don't open them up every now and then you might get a puff of black smoke when you finally do hit the throttle.

Power degradation over time might exist, but it's small and gradual. You'll never notice if you lose 5 or 10 hp.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:51 PM
Bandito
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, very informative. Have been there for my '15 and '18 ZO6. Going there for my '23 ZO6 Aug. 23 - 24 but staying at Holiday Inn this time. Need to get a little more familiar with this one. Never used paddles before!
Old 06-15-2023, 07:27 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,208 Likes on 3,454 Posts

All will be good on the street. Despite GM marketing, none of their street cars are real racers.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:18 AM
CPB
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 650hpvette
It's complicated. "It depends"

Things like carbon build up will rob HP and one of the best ways to clear it out on a DI engine is hard driving. However, engines are air pumps, more pressure = more wear. So the more you drive hard the more you wear.

I'm trying to say extremes on either end reduce performance overtime quicker than a mixture of them. I'll also point out if someone wants to baby the car to squeek 200k miles on the bottom end, then why have a sports car? Just use the car and don't fret.
Old 06-19-2023, 12:21 PM
squirrelchew
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
All will be good on the street. Despite GM marketing, none of their street cars are real racers.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:21 PM
akbeaver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Use it or lose it?? Really??

So just for grins here, I’m going to be a little silly and take your question to an extreme.

Suppose you buy a new car, never drive it, store it properly and maintain it as necessary while stored. Will it lose its performance capabilities?

It’s not being used. I think the answer is no.

You are anthropomorphizing by applying a common saying that might apply to a living human and related to health issues versus appropriate exercise.

Interesting viewpoint but misapplied in this case.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:28 PM
CPB
Pro

Originally Posted by akbeaver
So just for grins here, I’m going to be a little silly and take your question to an extreme.

Suppose you buy a new car, never drive it, store it properly and maintain it as necessary while stored. Will it lose its performance capabilities?

It’s not being used. I think the answer is no.

You are anthropomorphizing by applying a common saying that might apply to a living human and related to health issues versus appropriate exercise.

Interesting viewpoint but misapplied in this case.
Go to the other extreme. If the rings seize to the pistons from long term storage, then you'll have terrible compression numbers and low performance. Letting an engine sit indefinitely is also detrimental.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Performance "Use it or Lose it" Question

Old 06-20-2023, 03:27 AM
akbeaver
Instructor

Default Extreme

Right but you did not read my conditions. Proper maintenance whilst in storage. This would prevent ring seizure.

I regularly store my seasonally used engines. Have been for over forty years. Have yet to have any such nonsense as “ring seizure” occur, or any other problems. And these are operational engines. Not new ones that have never been used.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:17 AM
CPB
Pro

Originally Posted by akbeaver
Right but you did not read my conditions. Proper maintenance whilst in storage. This would prevent ring seizure.

I regularly store my seasonally used engines. Have been for over forty years. Have yet to have any such nonsense as “ring seizure” occur, or any other problems. And these are operational engines. Not new ones that have never been used.
Seasonally used isn't long term storage. Ring seizure is real, but if you are turning them over and moving the lubrication around thus preventing things like corrosion, then you are certainly "using it." Instead of "losing it."
Old 06-20-2023, 10:58 AM
akbeaver
Instructor

But I don’t. Not necessary.

Obviously you are the expert so a contrarian you can comfortably be.

Quick Reply: Z06 Performance "Use it or Lose it" Question