C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 stock muffler to 1 after market muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 03:39 PM
16Stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stock muffler to 1 after market muffler

Does anyone know if there would be a down side, or how bad of a down side, to removing the two stock mufflers and replacing it with one after market muffler?

Is flow velocity a concern?
or muffler internal volume?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:57 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

I have to ask, why?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:16 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
I have to ask, why?
But yes would have to be a down side in back pressure no way that you can have 2 diff 2.75 pipes going into one muffler. Then both side of that coming out of a single hole. Loss of performance for sure..
Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 PM
16Stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
I have to ask, why?

I was trying to figure out a way to by pass the muffler with "straight" pipe but still keep a muffler that would be used via a valve similar to the NPP valve that would allow a swap between the straight pipe to the muffler via a switch. This way I can change the sound at any time. The problem I see is that there isn't much room with both stock mufflers installed, I was trying to find a single muffler with two inlets and two outlets I could use in place of the stock ones, which would free up some space.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by 16Stingray
I was trying to figure out a way to by pass the muffler with "straight" pipe but still keep a muffler that would be used via a valve similar to the NPP valve that would allow a swap between the straight pipe to the muffler via a switch. This way I can change the sound at any time. The problem I see is that there isn't much room with both stock mufflers installed, I was trying to find a single muffler with two inlets and two outlets I could use in place of the stock ones, which would free up some space.
The stock system basically acts exactly this way. The outer pipes have holes throughout them. Exhaust goes straight through it (path of least resistance) if the valve is open. If it is closed, the exhaust goes through the holes, into the mufflers, out the inner pipes.

There are threads here for adding a switch to the stock system. However, setting exhaust more to track and back to tour or stealth takes about 5 seconds (you can even leave it in auto and use the dial).

Get notified of new replies

To 2 stock muffler to 1 after market muffler

Quick Reply: 2 stock muffler to 1 after market muffler