C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech question for vendors/Tech Savvy - Hybrid Electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:08 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Tech question for vendors/Tech Savvy - Hybrid Electric

I was going to post this in the C8 section however I doubt any of the vendors here really look at that forum so this is a generic question for anyone who might be able to answer.

I'm betting the C8 will have some kind of Hybrid Electric setup similar to the HE systems from Porsche, Ferrari, Acura, etc. GM has been good at commoditizing and simplifying expensive systems from other companies, plus AWD is going to really be needed in a lot of cases to increase performance.

A gas/electric AWD hybrid is the easiest answer. Gas out back, electric in front.

Have any vendors looked into how these systems really work? If you increase the power in the gas engine, say add 100hp, the electric motors have less work to do but the traction system that makes it all work together is it tuned for a specific output?

My original thought would be yes but then in varying conditions, dry, rain, snow, you'd be looking at traction and power outputs all over the place so the electric system must have some adaptation.

An electric motor can spin up far faster than the car can accelerate and it is providing assistive traction so you would think the more power out back the less work it has to do and the system would just adapt.

I bet the C7 has been good to a lot of vendors here from a sales standpoint and if there is a HE model how long is it going to take them to catch up if indeed the HE portion requires significant rework if you add power on the gasoline side.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:28 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

No. Just no. The C8 won't be a hybrid. That you would have heard about.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
King Dranzer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Corvette C8:
Mid mounted engine.
AWD (if possible)
Increased count of cylinders(if required but most probably they will redo the V8 and leave it there)
Hybrid(No C8 will not be hybrid)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
No. Just no. The C8 won't be a hybrid. That you would have heard about.
Not the question.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:09 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

What is the actual question? From the best I can tell, I would say: Adding significant aftermarket HP will be dicey at best in a front/rear split hybrid system which likely depends on the gas side making x amount of torque at y RPM.

The new NSX does precisely what you are talking about, and even with Honda’s multiple millions spent developing the system hand-in-hand with a brand new $150k model, the steering performance is still judged poorly from a sports-car standard, as it completely robs steering feel down to a “numb” feeling due to the *need* to numb the driver to the steering wheel reaction that could occur due to the “torque vectoring” that is part and parcel of its fwd electrics.

Get notified of new replies

To Tech question for vendors/Tech Savvy - Hybrid Electric

Quick Reply: Tech question for vendors/Tech Savvy - Hybrid Electric