C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing MSR shocks Excessive roll

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 02:10 PM
March
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Diagnosing MSR shocks Excessive roll

My 2015 z51 has worn down the front air deflectors (the LF is half worn off) and the RR wheel well has a hole in it from the tire rubbing at the front of the wheel well near the passenger seat back. I go for HPDE several times a year and this is when the problems started. My dealer refuses to replace the air deflectors under warranty and the RR shock which I pointed out is leaking. The reply is that the shock has some seepage which is not justification for replacement, it is not running oil but is wet all around - see pic. They also refuse to replace the front air deflectors because they say that is caused from tracking the car and is not covered under warranty. How do I determine if my shocks need replacing - the dealer say they just do a "bounce" test? MSR must have some other variable test I would think to check all modes? I also pointed out the LF height adjusting bolt is 1/2 or so higher than the other 3 height adjusting bolts. The tires are factory size, car is all stock except it has a track alignment but I still get wear from track use on the LF outside of the tire which is not surprising and there is some understeer especially turning right. Is there another problem given the LF height adjusting bolt is much higher, RF air deflector major wear, RR wheel well worn and seepage from a RR shock? The dealer has not performed any tests other than to measure the ride height and a bounce test for the shock. Any help to determine if I have a problem and how to get it fixed under warranty is appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:00 PM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

You gotta love that response of fluid leaking out of a shock as normal. Is there any wet residue on the suspension under the shock, mine had this on 2 of them and a little wetness on one of the shock tubes.... I replaced the front and am waiting on delivery of the rear ones. Look around and you can find them new way under list if you can tackle this yourself. It’s quite simple.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:08 AM
March
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

"you can tackle this yourself. It’s quite simple. [/left][/QUOTE]

I can replace them my self easily but I bought a new Vette so I had warranty. I wonder if a GM tech could answer what is the difference between seepage and leaking and if that matters given my other symptoms so I can ensure the dealer is correcting the problem under warranty. I am also looking to see if there is another opinion there that the problem could be something else too i.e. front spring need replacing.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:39 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by March
"you can tackle this yourself. It’s quite simple. [/left]
I can replace them my self easily but I bought a new Vette so I had warranty. I wonder if a GM tech could answer what is the difference between seepage and leaking and if that matters given my other symptoms so I can ensure the dealer is correcting the problem under warranty. I am also looking to see if there is another opinion there that the problem could be something else too i.e. front spring need replacing.[/QUOTE]

I'd find another dealer. If your front spring is bad it will be the first failure I've heard of on the c7. I don't think that's likely. I'd try to get the dealer to replace the bad shock.
I never put the deflectors on my car so I can't tell you if they would scrub now or not but I did have problems with the tires rubbing under the fenderwell. I put in DSC shocks and their controller and haven't had any problems since. I honestly think that just the controller would fix that but I wouldn't do anything until the dealer fixed the leaking shock. If your dealer won't find one that will.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:19 AM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by March
"you can tackle this yourself. It’s quite simple. [/left]
I can replace them my self easily but I bought a new Vette so I had warranty. I wonder if a GM tech could answer what is the difference between seepage and leaking and if that matters given my other symptoms so I can ensure the dealer is correcting the problem under warranty. I am also looking to see if there is another opinion there that the problem could be something else too i.e. front spring need replacing.[/QUOTE]

I had mine on the lift getting ready for a NASA track event and noticed my left rear mag shock was wet with fluid. Not dripping but all the other shocks are dry. I will take it to the dealer and if they say it's normal. I'll have them replace the other three because they aren't leaking. Problem solved LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Diagnosing MSR shocks Excessive roll

Quick Reply: Diagnosing MSR shocks Excessive roll