C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Z06 With Z07 Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Shawn P Craig
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Z06 With Z07 Package

New member, never "forum'd" before so take it easy on me. I just traded my CTS V in for a 2016 Z06 with the Z07 package. Honestly, not really practical for Ohio but practical is no fun and I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle as my DD. I've read all the info, good and bad, on the cup 2 tires. I'd really like some feedback from those of you that live in colder states like me. Obviously I won't be driving the car in snow, rain, or really cold days but I'm wondering what kind of ride and traction I'll have at or around the recommended 40 degree mark. Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The Z07 will ride rougher than the other variations of the C7 but it isn't that bad and you can have the new GM Suspension update software installed for $350. That will provide better ride on the streets and better handling on the track.

As for the tires they lose grip in cold weather like any other summer tire and even so called All Season tires. The Z06 has a stupendous amount of low end torque compared to other cars and it can be a challenge for some people when driving them. Use smooth and slower throttle inputs compared to what you would use on your 4WD vehicle. At wide open throttle at 1000 rpm the Z06 has more torque than a lot of vehicles produce for maximum torque at 4000 rpm. At less than wide open it still has a lot of torque so you need to understand throttle control and how to be smoooooth on throttle application even on hot summer days let alone a 40 degree day. Before I sold my Cup2s I put about 3500 miles on them driving them in rainy conditions in 40 degree weather and didn't have any issue at all. On track with the tires hot (190 degrees is their best operating temperature) they stick damned well and are competitive with Hoosier R compound tires and some slicks as far as grip. Just remember their best grip comes at 190 degree tire temp and even on a hot day while driving on the street it is hard to get past 135 degree tire temperature.

Bill
Old 12-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Shawn P Craig
3rd Gear

Default Cup Tires

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Z07 will ride rougher than the other variations of the C7 but it isn't that bad and you can have the new GM Suspension update software installed for $350. That will provide better ride on the streets and better handling on the track.

As for the tires they lose grip in cold weather like any other summer tire and even so called All Season tires. The Z06 has a stupendous amount of low end torque compared to other cars and it can be a challenge for some people when driving them. Use smooth and slower throttle inputs compared to what you would use on your 4WD vehicle. At wide open throttle at 1000 rpm the Z06 has more torque than a lot of vehicles produce for maximum torque at 4000 rpm. At less than wide open it still has a lot of torque so you need to understand throttle control and how to be smoooooth on throttle application even on hot summer days let alone a 40 degree day. Before I sold my Cup2s I put about 3500 miles on them driving them in rainy conditions in 40 degree weather and didn't have any issue at all. On track with the tires hot (190 degrees is their best operating temperature) they stick damned well and are competitive with Hoosier R compound tires and some slicks as far as grip. Just remember their best grip comes at 190 degree tire temp and even on a hot day while driving on the street it is hard to get past 135 degree tire temperature.

Bill
Thanks for the reply Bill. Yes, my 2011 CTS V Coupe had a lot of torque as well. I had Michelin PS A/S on that car and felt good knowing I had some rubber under me. I really appreciate the feedback on the tires. I was a bit concerned when the owners manual said not to drive on them at all below temps of 50 degrees.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I've had the back end step out during cold damp days with very little throttle. Never in straightline driving but once exiting a parking lot and another time making a turn to another road. I'd be very leery about driving it on SC2's down at lower temps, especially in the damp.

Welcome to the forums.

Mike
Old 12-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Shawn P Craig
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mcoomer
I've had the back end step out during cold damp days with very little throttle. Never in straightline driving but once exiting a parking lot and another time making a turn to another road. I'd be very leery about driving it on SC2's down at lower temps, especially in the damp.

Welcome to the forums.

Mike
Thanks Mike! 80% will be summer driving but it's nice to get out once in awhile during winter months. I'll take it easy and definitely not taking the car out unless it's above 45 degrees. It was almost 50 today, took the car up the street and the tires were making a little noise until they warmed up a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Z06 With Z07 Package

Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 With Z07 Package