C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coldest temperature you can safely run sport cup 2 tires in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Coldest temperature you can safely run sport cup 2 tires in?

I have my Z06 stored for the winter, but we are having some temperatures in the low 50's (instead of low 20's) and the snow and ice is gone from the roads, so I am thinking of taking the car out. I have thought about winters and don't want to do this (yet), as I'm happy to store the car through it's first snowy season (lots of snow/ice/gravel on the roads in the winter where I live)
Michelin says not to run the sport cup 2's below freezing (obvious control issues), but I'm interested to know if anyone has damaged their tires running them at colder temps.
Anyone had colder weather damage and at what air temperature?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I wouldn't want to be racing it in the 40,s at all nor the 50,s But just normal ever day town driving you will be good. These things are crap in cold weather. Robert
The following users liked this post:
Pizz (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I would look at this in two ways:

- running at below freezing temps will give you a fraction of the control you should have. There are obvious risks to this

- having the tires sit / operate in below freezing for repetitive extended periods of time can result in the rubber cracking
Pizz (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Bob 66 coupe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Help. My 18 Grand Sport has Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. Manual states do not operate in freezing or near freezing temperatures. I understand performance my be poor in cold weather. Question: will the tires suffer structural damage if operated in freezing weather? Has anyone run their Michelin tires in freezing temperatures? ??? Michelin does not make an All Season tire for the new Vette. I want to drive my car in the winter here in SC. Once operating/ driving they should warm up quickly. After all, GM did install a heater in the car!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

If the car is garaged and the temp is 40+ you should be ok. Don't want to have it out and sit so as the tires get cold, could be a real problem.
40 to 50 degrees kind of like ice skating.

Pizz (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Pizz
Racer

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
If the car is garaged and the temp is 40+ you should be ok. Don't want to have it out and sit so as the tires get cold, could be a real problem.
40 to 50 degrees kind of like ice skating.

I heat my garage to mid-50's and I store the car on tire saver ramps, so that should be good:

Old 12-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Pizz
Racer

I took it for a drive today. Makes me grin every time I drive it.

Thanks for the feedback.
bick333 (01-10-2021)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizz
Michelin says not to run the sport cup 2's below freezing (obvious control issues),
As air temperatures go down, engine HP and TQ goes up while tire traction goes down. This means your right foot has to be very delicate in winter driving and your head has to be in the game completely.
Pizz (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
As air temperatures go down, engine HP and TQ goes up while tire traction goes down. This means your right foot has to be very delicate in winter driving and your head has to be in the game completely.
very good advice, but does it ever get that cold in Austin
Envious in SLC
Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Pizz
Racer

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Thanks. I first experienced this with my Ninja ZX 14. Colder days (60 to 65) were a lot more fun with the extra hp and better throttle response. The rear tire was a lot more fun, drifting corners.
I am careful with the car on the street, so no issues with traction today. It was just a blast to take it out for a little tour....
Old 12-11-2017, 10:15 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

PSS is fine above freezing; just let it warm up a little. Cup2s are not good in winter at all, in my experience.

I've just used Hoosier R7s and A6s at a track day last weekend at 38 degrees F ambient. They worked well after a few laps. Cup 2s would be similar, and would work after a few laps. That said, we obviously don't have means to warm up the tires like that at the street, so track tires will likely not get to warm up enough. PSS are designed to warm up much faster, though, and I've used them in close to freezing temps before with success. You just need to watch the pressures over from TPMS monitor to see if they warmed up a bit, adding 2-3 PSI to cold pressures. Once done, they will be fine. In my experience, simple 60+ MPH highway cruise for a few miles does wonders.

Last edited by X25; 12-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Pizz (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Had my GS out the other day and temp dropped to 28 before I got home. Traction was still manageable but you don't want to mash too hard. I'm thinking all the old stories about chunks falling off the tires were Goodyears. Never heard of it happening to a Michelin. The warning is there for their protection but I haven't worried about it. Anything below 20 is dangerous. That's with SS's, PS2's would be worse.
Pizz (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have driven the Cup2s in temps as low as 28 degrees with no issues. Roads were dry and the day was sunny but chilly. They should do well on track days when temps are in that range. It just takes a few more laps to get them up to operating temperature.

The reason I say they can work on track at that temp is because I have used Conti Race Slicks in 32 deg ambient temps with snow flurries when driving the Glen. The tire pressures were set cold at 22 psi and it took some fast speeds (over 110 on the straights and conservative corners) for about 5 laps to get the tire pressures up to their hot level. By then the car was running hard on the cold air and I set my then personal best lap time on a 32 degree day. The engine loved it, despite gloves and having the heater on my hands froze.

Bill
Pizz (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Another post here had a tech report where it was said only limited, low-speed from 40 to 20 degrees F (or something of that nature, but that was the gist of it). Below that no go.

Last edited by Avanti; 12-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Pizz (12-12-2017)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:32 PM
venom3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COTA with Sport Cup 2 in 36 degree air temp.

[QUOTE=desmophile;1596160143]very good advice, but does it ever get that cold in Austin

i ran performance driving at COTA first lap, tracking out of turn 5, taking it very easy, car spun out like I was on ice. Did not hit anything. Lesson learned. Do not use these tires in cold weather above freezing.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

[QUOTE=venom3;1602627397]
Originally Posted by desmophile

i ran performance driving at COTA first lap, tracking out of turn 5, taking it very easy, car spun out like I was on ice. Did not hit anything. Lesson learned. Do not use these tires in cold weather above freezing.
The wrong lesson learned. The proper lesson is how to use the throttle properly. You may have thought you were taking it easy but you weren't. Even on ice, a car won't spin out unless the operator uses the throttle inappropriately or applies the brakes inappropriately. In low grip situations, you use higher gears to reduce torque delivered to the wheels and judicious application of throttle. Once the tires get hot they will grip better. Cup2s need to be around 190 degrees to provide maximum grip, which means you drive at higher speeds on the straights to get the tires flexing as fast as possible and slooow and smooooth on the corners until the grip starts to come in. All Corvettes deliver stupendous amounts of torque at low engine speeds so you have to reduce the torque delivered to the rear wheels to the amount the tires can handle. If you normally use 2nd gear coming out of a corner you use 4th or 5th gear. If you use 4th gear coming out of a corner you use 6th. Even using those gears you ease on the throttle.

Bill
Elk (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:28 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizz
I took it for a drive today. Makes me grin every time I drive it.

Thanks for the feedback.
With any luck at all our club will be coming through Calgary on our way to Jasper next June. Perhaps a meet-up would be in order.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:48 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

I put my ZO6 in weather mode when near 40°
Old 12-16-2020, 06:50 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

[QUOTE=venom3;1602627397]
Originally Posted by desmophile

I've driven slicks this cold. Your lesson is to put it in a gear or 2 higher. Brake hard. Gas hard on straights. Warm up the tires. Seems your issue was lack of experience. Not the.tires.

Turn 5 is the 3rd corner in the esses..there is no track out there. You may have meant turn 6. Which is already VERY slippery and off camber. People spin there in the dry.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 12-16-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Coldest temperature you can safely run sport cup 2 tires in?

Quick Reply: Coldest temperature you can safely run sport cup 2 tires in?