C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Trouble with Cosworth

When I try to open a recording in Cosworth the program crashes and says it is sending a message to Microsoft. I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling a fresh version downloaded from their web site. Any help or insight would be appreciated. I am running Windows 10.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

You haven't edited any of the videos, have you??

Do the videos run okay on the screen in your car??

Do the videos open and play okay with Windows Media Player or other .mp4 video viewer app??

My 2016 doesn't seem to have the following problem, but if you don't "Stop Recording" when you get off the track and back to the paddock and shut down the car without stopping the recording, apparently earlier model years that haven't had the PDR update may not stop the video recording proper and you get a "raw" video that probably won't work properly. Take a look at the files on your SD card and make sure they are all proper .mp4 files.

You can't do any editing of the .mp4 file as it's recorded on your SD card - Toolbox needs to see the file exactly as it was recorded by the PDR.

I run Toolbox on a couple of Windows 10 computers and am able to view PDR videos with no problem. I just opened up Toolbox to take a look at the current version. I tried an update just to make sure I have the latest version and it says I'm up to date, and it says my installed version is:

Installed: Version 1.3 (Build 213 - Service Release 3)
Is that the version of Toolbox you have installed??? Even the Toolbox version you download from Cosworth might need to be updated. After you open it just click on the "Update" button and it will tell you if you're up to date or not.

You can see the video below was recorded by the PDR, but after cutting it down and adding some other stuff it will not open in Toolbox!! But it doesn't crash Toolbox - it just won't open and a box opens that tells me the video has no data.

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-11-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:51 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shearer
When I try to open a recording in Cosworth the program crashes and says it is sending a message to Microsoft. I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling a fresh version downloaded from their web site. Any help or insight would be appreciated. I am running Windows 10.
Typically, in these situations, something the registry has become fubar.

In order to fix this, you are going to have to reload the whole system.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have not edited any files.
Yes the run fine on the screen in the car.
Yes it opens with MP4 players
Yes, that is the version of Toolbox I have installed.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
You haven't edited any of the videos, have you??

Do the videos run okay on the screen in your car??

Do the videos open and play okay with Windows Media Player or other .mp4 video viewer app??

My 2016 doesn't seem to have the following problem, but if you don't "Stop Recording" when you get off the track and back to the paddock and shut down the car without stopping the recording, apparently earlier model years that haven't had the PDR update may not stop the video recording proper and you get a "raw" video that probably won't work properly. Take a look at the files on your SD card and make sure they are all proper .mp4 files.

You can't do any editing of the .mp4 file as it's recorded on your SD card - Toolbox needs to see the file exactly as it was recorded by the PDR.

I run Toolbox on a couple of Windows 10 computers and am able to view PDR videos with no problem. I just opened up Toolbox to take a look at the current version. I tried an update just to make sure I have the latest version and it says I'm up to date, and it says my installed version is:

Is that the version of Toolbox you have installed??? Even the Toolbox version you download from Cosworth might need to be updated. After you open it just click on the "Update" button and it will tell you if you're up to date or not.

You can see the video below was recorded by the PDR, but after cutting it down and adding some other stuff it will not open in Toolbox!! But it doesn't crash Toolbox - it just won't open and a box opens that tells me the video has no data.

https://youtu.be/42o6JLVdhp8

Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Reload the whole system? Are you saying to reinstall the operating system?

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
In order to fix this, you are going to have to reload the whole system.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

How have you been attempting to open a PDR video in Toolbox?

I tried right clicking on an .mp4 file, clicking on "open with", and selecting Cosworth Toolbox - but it wouldn't open and crashed Toolbox. I had to restart my computer in order to get Toolbox working again.

The only way I previously had always viewed a video and its data in Toolbox was to first open Toolbox, click on "Recordings" or "Reference Recordings", then "Select a file" - that opens a box where I can navigate to the folder where I have downloaded my PDR videos and select the video I want to analyze.

If you have been opening Toolbox and then clicking on "Select a file" in the Toolbox app to view the video, and if that's been crashing the app - I dunno what might be the problem!?!?

If you've been right clicking on the video and using the "open with" feature, that gave me problems and might be what your issue is.

Good luck with it, and let us know if you're able to get it working!!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been attempting to open within Toolbox and not by right clicking on the file. It is very puzzling. I think next I will drag out an old Windows 7 computer and try using Toolbox with it.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
How have you been attempting to open a PDR video in Toolbox?

I tried right clicking on an .mp4 file, clicking on "open with", and selecting Cosworth Toolbox - but it wouldn't open and crashed Toolbox. I had to restart my computer in order to get Toolbox working again.

The only way I previously had always viewed a video and its data in Toolbox was to first open Toolbox, click on "Recordings" or "Reference Recordings", then "Select a file" - that opens a box where I can navigate to the folder where I have downloaded my PDR videos and select the video I want to analyze.

If you have been opening Toolbox and then clicking on "Select a file" in the Toolbox app to view the video, and if that's been crashing the app - I dunno what might be the problem!?!?

If you've been right clicking on the video and using the "open with" feature, that gave me problems and might be what your issue is.

Good luck with it, and let us know if you're able to get it working!!

Last edited by Jim Shearer; 12-12-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The Cosworth Toolbox works just fine on my Windows 7 machine. It looks like it may be a registry problem as previously suggested.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble with Cosworth

Quick Reply: Trouble with Cosworth