C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM's new CAI for the C7 Z06 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by marsheng
The installing Tech said on the Camaros he had done the procedure was to install the CAI then call the Techline with vehicle info and they would send updates for the CAI calibration.
Do you have a Z06?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM
marsheng
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

LT1 Base car convertible 2019
Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

LT1 Base car convertible 2019
Will be interesting to see if they do a tune! Best I have seen is they are claiming 4 to 5 hp gain on an LT1. Perhaps it is that low as the filter is NOT as large an air filter as the aFe paper filter option where someone had it dyno'd before and after and got a 10 hp gain.

Note aFe shows dyno data with a 17 hp gain on an LT1 with their oiled cotton filter but they also show that has much lower restriction that their paper filter option. Also, no doubt the best of the tests run!

Can understand the Z06, which they claim 32 hp increase needs a tune-but NOT 4 to 5! My "guess" with an oiled cotton aFe larger filter I probably have 12 to 15 more and have not tripped a CEL in 4 years! aFe says it is not needed on an LT1.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-24-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:01 AM
marsheng
Instructor

I run a engine dyno every day and it is very easy to manipulate the results or use poor test practises that produce inaccurate results ,the tests have to be done like a scientific experiment so repeatability is there.You cant shut the engine down and change the intake and say It,s 50 hp as you need to bring all fluid temps up to where they were in the first test and let the intake heat soak as it was in the first test and the engine temps stabilize then the results will be real. Talking to the engineer at PRI convinced me the GM numbers are real with accurate testing methods,remember these people are used to SAE certifying there engines these days.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I run a engine dyno every day and it is very easy to manipulate the results or use poor test practises that produce inaccurate results ,the tests have to be done like a scientific experiment so repeatability is there.You cant shut the engine down and change the intake and say It,s 50 hp as you need to bring all fluid temps up to where they were in the first test and let the intake heat soak as it was in the first test and the engine temps stabilize then the results will be real. Talking to the engineer at PRI convinced me the GM numbers are real with accurate testing methods,remember these people are used to SAE certifying there engines these days.
Had an engine on a dyno in a well instrumented Lab and ran many tests- but that is back in college many years ago! Measured air flow, fuel flow, and had to report HP, BMEP etc etc! Agree many testing variables.

I talked to the aFe engineers and believe they have done a good job. They probably published the best! It even looks like the GM system is made by them, same construction words, similar filter viewing window! However it does not have as large a filter housing and filter as the one they sell. aFe also offers a paper filter (as large as my oiled cotton) and a forum poster tested before and after the install and got a 10 HP gain. Makes sense to me, 5 hp gain with a smaller, perhaps more restrictive filter versus a larger less restrictive filter. Expect GM to use SAE certified data, corrections etc.

My only issue is why the need for a tune on other than an LT4? We'll see if it is on an LT1 for that little gain.

PS: Let us know what hp gain you find when you do your tests!

Note the aFe housing is larger to hold a larger filter.
The aFe paper filter is the same size and fits in the same housing as my oiled cotton filter shown. Both much larger than the OEM (which was made in Thailand as it says in big letters versus the made in USA aFe!)
Per post 11 on this Thread the GM filter has 25% lower restriction that the OEM. My oiled cotton, per aFe is 42% less than OEM. Yep I know if I was driving in dusty terrain and keeping the car for 100,000 miles etc!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-24-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM
marsheng
Instructor

The filters need to be as large as possible and packaging is a problem many times,look at the 6.2 Silverado with the Corvette short block,the air filter is a monster cause they have the room.As I previously stated it is easy to flow more air if you increase micron size of the filter as a popular oiled filter does but I deal with engines every day that are destroyed with dirt entering and prefer not to do that to my engines for a few hp gain. As you stated we are often dealing with GM on SAE net hp and STP Diyno numbers by the aftermarket ,a 460hp Lt1 is about 487 when measured with STP correction.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

There's a thread on this CAI in the Z06 subforum with specifics. For the LT1, Chevy is saying there is an improvement in airflow restriction but 0 (zero) horsepower gain. There is no calibration with this CAI for the Stingray (LT1), the Z06 (LT4) or the ZR1 (LT5).
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (04-25-2018)

Quick Reply: GM's new CAI for the C7 Z06 Corvette