C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Disable AFM Exhaust Valve Actuators with HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:30 AM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a manual 2016 so it was still 2 credits for me but i dont see any option....but i have not looked very hard. Not sure if in mine there is another licence option. Will check when i get home today.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Jan_N
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi,

I was wondering after getting ready of the ECL with HP tuners will the car pass PA inspection like normal?

Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan_N
Hi,

I was wondering after getting ready of the ECL with HP tuners will the car pass PA inspection like normal?

Passes in Texas as long as there are no active codes.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 AM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had multiple valve failures and I may just buy a Cat back system without the valves. If I understand what you've indicated, that wouldn't necessitate a check engine light?

Second, in your experience when the valves fail, do they fail safe - open?

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by VERBOTEN
I've had multiple valve failures and I may just buy a Cat back system without the valves. If I understand what you've indicated, that wouldn't necessitate a check engine light?

Second, in your experience when the valves fail, do they fail safe - open?

Thanks for your time.
Valves fail open. If you do the above steps, you will not have a check engine light. My connectors for the valves are fully disconnected.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:13 PM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Fuse pulled, codes removed, happy days. Thanks FYREANT

Now to decide if I should stick with the OEM Stingray exhaust, or go for a Borla Z06 one....hmmm
Old 05-07-2019, 02:35 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

subbed... looks like time to spend more money to eliminate a GM headache!
Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 AM
Mark Hankins II
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my car has been tuned via the ECM and AFM has been tuned out there, do I still need the CCM tuned?

Guess im saying had my car tuned and the tuner said he turned AFM off and I know he only tuned the ECM, so am I good?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hankins II
If my car has been tuned via the ECM and AFM has been tuned out there, do I still need the CCM tuned?

Guess im saying had my car tuned and the tuner said he turned AFM off and I know he only tuned the ECM, so am I good?

I had the same.... later removed the AFM valves and installed the simulators Edgy was selling....those failed on me recently and the car threw the AFM valve codes Ant described turning off. Tuning AFM off by tuner doesn't tune out the Valves. Just keeps the motor from going 4cly mode..... I purchased the HP tuners and followed Ant's post...no more CEL and have since removed the simulators.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 AM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

So if you buy HP Tuners and the 2 credits for the C304 module do the deactivation on the AFM valves and do not modify the ECM software is this a warranty busting move?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 427C62013A
So if you buy HP Tuners and the 2 credits for the C304 module do the deactivation on the AFM valves and do not modify the ECM software is this a warranty busting move?
Technically using HP Tuners to do anything to your car is a warranty busting move.
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (06-28-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Crwnd
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone in the North East PA area, or close by, willing to tune out my AFM so I can begin work on the exhaust?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:19 PM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Crwnd
Anyone in the North East PA area, or close by, willing to tune out my AFM so I can begin work on the exhaust?
You are two hours away from me.. you pay for the credits and I can do it for you.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:24 PM
csmoss99
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks FYREANT,
This process worked exactly as posted with the new HPtuners MPVI2. If you have a windows compatible laptop you can download the VCM suite for free directly from the website. As stated above, you only need to download, modify and burn the C304 CCM and will require 2 universal credits. Tuning with the MPVI2 now uses universal credits and is much more user friendly than the previous version. When you buy the MPVI2 directly from HPtuners, it comes with zero credits. You have to buy them separately. Check it out at their website. You can get the unit with credits from Amazon. Not sure how that works though. I chose to buy directly from the HPtuners website with zero credits.

After downloading the CCM file from my Vette, I modified it as shown above. I wanted to try and burn it with no credits. The VCM suite will tell you how many credits you need and then you can buy them at that point. After purchasing the credits you will have to resync your tuner and then the credits will show up in the VCM suite software. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing this process. Once the credits show up, you are cleared to burn your updated file. That's it.

The MPVI2 costs $299, 2 credits cost $99.98 and it literally takes no more than 30 minutes to download the current tune file, modify it and then burn it. Your laptop needs to be hooked up to the internet or the tuner won't be able to verify registration during the download or upload process. It verifies registration with the hptuners website each time you try these actions. At least that is what I experienced. The Vette side of my garage has great WIFI coverage, but the Camaro side has poor coverage and the software wouldn't download my Camaro tune file until I moved the computer outside of the car.

One word of caution, it takes approximately 5 minutes to download or upload the file and is a very high draw on your car battery. I highly recommend having a battery charger or tender hooked up to your battery during the process.

To answer a few of the questions asked about this, here is what I found:
1. The check engine light is now out.
2. No more clicking when the AFM valve motors try to open/close (I pulled the #32 fuse)
3. ECO, Tour and Sport all work as before.
4. 4 cylinder mode also works as before. I don't notice any difference with the exhaust sound when the car switches between 4 and 8 cylinder modes even though the AFM valve stays open all the time now.
5. The NPP valves continue to change the sound as before.

Last edited by csmoss99; 08-20-2019 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (08-17-2019)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:15 AM
ht_pro
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So I have a Diablo Sport i2 tuner and custom tune due to LT headers, xpipe. I’ve added FlowMaster exhaust. Is there any way to tune this out with my current setup? Diablew suggested that I pull the fuse. AFM is already disabled.... thanks!!
Old 01-29-2020, 10:03 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ht_pro
So I have a Diablo Sport i2 tuner and custom tune due to LT headers, xpipe. I’ve added FlowMaster exhaust. Is there any way to tune this out with my current setup? Diablew suggested that I pull the fuse. AFM is already disabled.... thanks!!
Nope. Can’t be done with Diablo. Diablo cannot get into a good majority of the tables that HPT can. Think of diablo as a basic tuner that can do intake and exhaust. Its not meant for getting into specialized electronic valves, supercharger setups, cams, etc. they basically can adjust throttle response and some timing and turn off some basic codes and thats about it lol.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:08 PM
62RPO582
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 113 Posts

What, if any, problems will I run into with the AFM valves and CEL's if I am replacing my non-NPP exhaust with BB bullet exhaust with AFM valves already welded in the pipes. Any codes that will need to be reset?

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO: Disable AFM Exhaust Valve Actuators with HP Tuners

Old 02-17-2020, 02:36 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 62RPO582
What, if any, problems will I run into with the AFM valves and CEL's if I am replacing my non-NPP exhaust with BB bullet exhaust with AFM valves already welded in the pipes. Any codes that will need to be reset?
Well first, If you’re adding NPP exhaust to a non-NPP car, you cannot hook the valves up so you won’t have any codes related to that. But also I don’t see any AFM valves your exhaust picture, just NPP. So I’m guessing you bought Z06 mufflers for a non Z06 car since Z06 doesn’t have AFM after 2015. So, you need to disable the AFM valves or else you will have CEL codes thrown.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Lanny McCauley
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Ok so I’m new to all this. Bought a 2017 stingray a couple weeks ago. I think I’m in over my head sort of. I’m getting cel and being told it is P26C8 code. The car has borla exhaust which I don’t know much about. I’m also being told that car needs a tune to remedy. This thread seems to make sense. Am I on the right track?

Last edited by Lanny McCauley; 02-17-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:10 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Lanny McCauley
Ok so I’m new to all this. Bought a 2017 stingray a couple weeks ago. I think I’m in over my head sort of. I’m getting cel and being told it is P26C8 code. The car has borla exhaust which I don’t know much about. I’m also being told that car needs a tune to remedy. This thread seems to make sense. Am I on the right track?
Sounds like you are to me.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Disable AFM Exhaust Valve Actuators with HP Tuners