C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Grand Sport Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 PM
TumblingPanda
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If I remember correctly, my '18 GS did that since it was pretty much new. I did nothing about it for about 1800 miles. Couple of days back, I had to remove the wheels to bleed the brakes. After bleeding, just put the wheels back on (no cleaning of mating surface ) and torqued the lug nuts to 100 ft-lb. The clicking is completely gone. It has been about 150 miles since then and the clicking hasn't returned.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:24 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Dado5
My 18GS does this when turning left or right . Font wheels clicking , sounds like there are nails in tires and making clicking noise. Car has 1300 miles.
FWIW, had a clicking sound only at low speed in a full lock right turn. Very familiar with "tire hop" or "chatter" when it's cold. This was not that at all. One click per revolution and only on right full lock turn.

Looked for something interfering and sure enough, the plastic brake ducts and brake cooling air defector in the GS wheel came very close to a wheel weight on the very inner edge. Trimmed the plastic a small amount a few times. Mostly gone but still slight noise until recently, when it stopped.

Just changed oil at 1 year and had the car jacked up. Sure enough that wheel weight was warn away on the very outer edge! Whatever was hitting slightly wore it away and/or it wore as well! Not much clearance around those front GS tires, inner wheel wells, plastic air dusts etc! The air deflector goes into the wheel. I had checked the wheel clearance with the car jacked but then the wheel hangs down. Had not tried to jack it up under the "A" frame with the wheel at full right lock. Not much room to get a jack in that space. The sound is gone now!

Definitely would try the GM solution of removing the wheel and cleaning the interface surfaces. Torque in 3 steps. I did that initially but no help. Now that I have confirmed it is something hitting that wheel weight can understand it had nothing to do with the wheel contact.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-09-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:46 PM
TumblingPanda
Advanced

Originally Posted by TumblingPanda
If I remember correctly, my '18 GS did that since it was pretty much new. I did nothing about it for about 1800 miles. Couple of days back, I had to remove the wheels to bleed the brakes. After bleeding, just put the wheels back on (no cleaning of mating surface ) and torqued the lug nuts to 100 ft-lb. The clicking is completely gone. It has been about 150 miles since then and the clicking hasn't returned.
And....its back after about 450 miles. It isn't as bad as it initially was though!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:51 PM
TumblingPanda
Advanced

Originally Posted by village idiot
That's probably Ackermann.
One way to differentiate tire chatter/hop with the clicking noise is that you can physically feel the car vibrate/jerk in case of tire chatter/hop. But for the clicking noise, you just hear snapping metallic noise without any vibration/jerk that you can feel.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:17 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

When its cold I get wheel hop. When hot I get the clicking.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:25 PM
TumblingPanda
Advanced

Over the last two months, I've had to take out the wheels a number of times. The clicking disappears for a few days after every time I attach the wheels and torque them down. This is the case with stock wheels as well as aftermarket wheels. The clicking gradually comes back and it is annoying as hell!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM
SLINGER
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TumblingPanda
Over the last two months, I've had to take out the wheels a number of times. The clicking disappears for a few days after every time I attach the wheels and torque them down. This is the case with stock wheels as well as aftermarket wheels. The clicking gradually comes back and it is annoying as hell!
I have brand new 2018 GS and clicking on front driver tire when turning right. Dealer checked out the wheel and torqued it, couldn't find anything wrong. still clicking.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SLINGER
I have brand new 2018 GS and clicking on front driver tire when turning right. Dealer checked out the wheel and torqued it, couldn't find anything wrong. still clicking.
My year old GS clicks once per revolution on a slow full lock right turn! It's hardly noticeable now and have identified it's "something" hitting a wheel weight on the far inside edge of the wheel.

It was loud initially but when I just changed oil could see that wheel weight is warn on the top outer edge ~1/8 inch! Initially had trimmed the air duct and diverter plastic that are in that area. That helped but something still is hitting that wheel weight. It is one very small click per wheel revolution. Either the plastic or weight will wear enough to fully stop!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray7374
Mine is a very rhythmic ( as though it were one click per revolution) that sounds like its coming from the back.Someone brought it to my attention when I was pulling through the pits after driving on track. I noticed it when a friend was driving my car on a go kart/autocross track. I was standing on the side of the track and every time he drove around a right or left turn it sounded like a rock in the tire but louder .
Not to beat a dead horse, but my GS developed this click in the left front wheel and you can hear it very clearly when you take the wheel off and spin the rotor. Would this be the same issue, it making the noise without the wheel even being on the car ?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Donatella
Not to beat a dead horse, but my GS developed this click in the left front wheel and you can hear it very clearly when you take the wheel off and spin the rotor. Would this be the same issue, it making the noise without the wheel even being on the car ?
Hmm, if you can't see anything hitting the rotor as it's turning that is definitely different that what I described!

Also without a load on the wheel it is somewhat unusual to hear a bearing but that sounds like what it could well be! There are inner and outer bearings. Sounds like you need a trip to the dealer.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I didn't not hear a clicking noise. I heard wind noise, gear shifting, some trans noise from gears, exhaust, but no clicking.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 AM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

My 2016 Z06 does the same thing, left front as well. Cleaning the wheel/rotor-hat mating surfaces did not stop the clicking. I can hear the noise with the wheel off and while turning the rotor by hand just as you describe. The clicking is much more rapid than once per revolution and I think it's related to the pads passing over the slots in the rotor. Slightly backing the pads off of the rotor (using a screwdriver to push the pads back and compress the pistons slightly) stopped the noise when the rotor was turned by hand. I "dressed" the edges of the pad's friction material with sandpaper, relubed the edges and back of the pad's backing plate, and reinstalled everything -- no fix; noise is there as before. Why only on certain wheels and cars? ...I have no idea.

Ernie
Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ErnieD
My 2016 Z06 does the same thing, left front as well. Cleaning the wheel/rotor-hat mating surfaces did not stop the clicking. I can hear the noise with the wheel off and while turning the rotor by hand just as you describe. The clicking is much more rapid than once per revolution and I think it's related to the pads passing over the slots in the rotor. Slightly backing the pads off of the rotor (using a screwdriver to push the pads back and compress the pistons slightly) stopped the noise when the rotor was turned by hand. I "dressed" the edges of the pad's friction material with sandpaper, relubed the edges and back of the pad's backing plate, and reinstalled everything -- no fix; noise is there as before. Why only on certain wheels and cars? ...I have no idea.

Ernie
Very interesting, thanks for the detail.

Wonder if it could be some pad build-up on parts of the rotor? Reminded of the squeal I had with the OEM pads on my 2014 Z51. Bedded the pads as per the owner’s manual for tracking using 5 or 6 agreesive stops from 60 mph to 15 NOT the 25 the Owner’s Manual states are needed if you are going to track. Squealing stopped. (Note put Carbotech 1521 Pads on my 2014 and now on my GrandSport to reduce dusting, which they do about 85%, and have never heard a squeal or any noise with them.

Recently read that with hi-performace pads you you need to use the brakes very agressivly periodically to keep pad material on the rotors uniform. Also the square “O” rings on the brake pistons are supposed to pull the pads back everso slighly so they should not contact the rotor.. That pad layer on the rotors is (supposed to be) very thin.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-19-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:27 PM
olblue75
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

My 17 GS has te click really hear it on left turns going through a guard shack.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Donatella
Racer

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to hear it's just more of an annoyance than anything serious since this is my track car. I'm do to have the rotors changed the next time I have my pads replaced, It will be interesting to see if the noise stops. I'll keep you posted....
Old 11-20-2018, 11:50 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by JerryU

Very interesting, thanks for the detail.

Wonder if it could be some pad build-up on parts of the rotor? Reminded of the squeal I had with the OEM pads on my 2014 Z51. Bedded the pads as per the owner’s manual for tracking using 5 or 6 agreesive stops from 60 mph to 15 NOT the 25 the Owner’s Manual states are needed if you are going to track. Squealing stopped. (Note put Carbotech 1521 Pads on my 2014 and now on my GrandSport to reduce dusting, which they do about 85%, and have never heard a squeal or any noise with them.

Recently read that with hi-performace pads you you need to use the brakes very agressively periodically to keep pad material on the rotors uniform. Also the square “O” rings on the brake pistons are supposed to pull the pads back everso slighly so they should not contact the rotor.. That pad layer on the rotors is (supposed to be) very thin.
Forgot to mention that I changed to the Power Stop Z26 pads nearly 30,000 miles ago. Have tried re-bedding the pads with a few hard stops on several occasions, but the noise persists. Perhaps it's caused by slight warping in the rotor surface -- no pulsation noticed, though.

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to hear it's just more of an annoyance than anything serious since this is my track car. I'm do to have the rotors changed the next time I have my pads replaced, It will be interesting to see if the noise stops. I'll keep you posted....
Please do report back after your rotor change. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

Ernie
Old 12-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Donatella
Racer

Just and update. Had the car out on the track last weekend and just as suddenly as the clicking started it disappeared after my first session. I think the problem was pretty much as everybody said, dirt build up on the rotor. After some good hard braking it was gone. Since the car sees a lot of track duty you would think it wouldn't get any dirt build up but I guess doesn't matter.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Just and update. Had the car out on the track last weekend and just as suddenly as the clicking started it disappeared after my first session. I think the problem was pretty much as everybody said, dirt build up on the rotor. After some good hard braking it was gone. Since the car sees a lot of track duty you would think it wouldn't get any dirt build up but I guess doesn't matter.
The buildup I referred to is what you accomplish with bedding, It's a uniform layer of pad material on the rotor. It's when the coating is not uniform that pulsing and/or noise can occur. Had not heard it referred to as an audible click.

One article mentioned with racing type pads that it was important to periodically use the brakes aggressively to maintain that uniform layer. FWIW

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport Clicking