C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech Aluminum Valve Cover Review

Old 05-24-2015, 12:36 PM
567Chev
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Katech Aluminum Valve Cover Review

A couple of notes and pictures of the Katech Aluminum valve covers for the LT1:

I'm not big on all the plastic covers on the LT1 and the General hit the OEM valve covers pretty hard with an ugly stuck, so when Katech's aluminum covers came out I went for it. Got red powdercoat, 'cause it's a Chev.

Install was pretty straightforward. There were no instructions, but Jason at Katech responded very quickly to my emailed questions (since I can't even install a valve cover without fussing). The covers came with OEM gaskets, button head fasteners (6mm screw with 4mm allen head) and new PCV fittings.

You need Katech's coil relocation kit, which came with instructions and is straight forward. The stock plug wires are too short so you need plug wires as well. I ordered MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires from Katech.

A couple notes on the install:

- PCV fittings on passenger side change from two (one in the front, one in the middle) to one at the back. I just cut the ends of the old line and connected them with a short 3/8" hose. Rerouted to the back cleans up the look for sure.

- The removable EVAP hose, that runs from the steel tube near the firewall to the purge valve on the front of the intake manifold, gets rerouted. I used a 3/8" hose with an elbow, but am not satisfied with this and will be rerouting. Also, the OEM line is bigger on the firewall end than the purge valve end, and I may try changing to a 5/16" hose for a snugger fit. I'm not exactly sure how Katech routed there's although Jason indicated to me they bent the steel line near the firewall so that they could tuck the EVAP line close to the intake manifold. You might be able to stick with the OEM line as well, although there is some interference with the plug wires where they plug onto the coils. Anyway, there are likely options to reroute this.

- On the front of the passenger side cover, one of the valve cover fasteners is located behind the altenator. It can be taken out with a box wrench without moving the alternator. The new Katech button head fastener makes this all easier, since with a long shank 4 mm allen socket you can easily get on it with the alternator in place. I had a similar fastener lying around that was 2 mm shorter than the OEM length, and I used that to make it even easier.

- I thought the fuel line bracket wouldn't fit on the new driver side cover. Jason from Katech assured me it would, and it did no problem. I do tend to fuss ...

- I changed to the Katech plenum cover in carbon fiber at the same time, which matched up perfectly with the Halltech CAI. I used socket head fasteners (6 mm x 20mm, 5 mm allen head) to match up to the fasteners used on the coil relocation kit. You could retain the stock plenum cover if you wanted.

Overall, the covers and relocation kit are super high quality and look great to my eye.

Here's some pics:

Finished product - I like it

(Note: picture above shows fitting with OEM evap hose)

OEM valve cover is ugly. It's heavily baffled which may be a good thing.

Katech covers are really high quality. Not heavily baffled in the same way as the OEM cover. The coil relocation kit is beauty.

The OEM gasket is used. You just need to trim a tab off.

Re-route of PCV air bridge from dry sump tank to valve cover is changed from two fittings to one and relocated to back of valve cover. EVAP line is re-routed as well although I'm going to change this up.

That's it.
The following users liked this post:
rb185afm (02-13-2018)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 AM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Pictures and writeup. Thanks.

I've always wondered how the coil relocation kit attached and your pictures are the first I've seen to clarify this. Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Thank you for the write up. They look great!

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Thank you for the write up. They look great!
I installed mine today, I should have done a comprehensive write up. The evap line on mine needs to be moved as well. Or I may just leave it, it isn't hurting anything.

My .02 cents this mod looks so much better than stock, but Katech needs to provide some instructions. So much time could be saved if you knew the do's and don't's. As well as the need to cut your old PCV line and relocate it. I thought I had two of the same valve cover.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks great! Gave me ideas on several under hood ideas I have. GM could make the engine bay look neater. Looks like spaghetti or crab grass! Thanks for the great job!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are a few pictures of mine, one thing to note with the intake manifold I have I couldn't get all of the screws in the coil relocation kit. There wasn't enough clearance, it still has four bolts holding it in.

I also have seen people clock their coil brackets, you shouldn't mount them this way, they are meant to be be in at a 90 degree angle to hold them in the coil relocation.

Also you have to remove the fuse box to access the passenger side.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Katech Aluminum Valve Cover Review

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Katech Aluminum Valve Cover Review