C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Review of the MGW Short Throw Shifter with Stock Knob

Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

Default Quick Review of the MGW Short Throw Shifter with Stock ****

QUICK REVIEW:
Beautifully designed and machined. Top quality hardware. Install took 4 hours for me because I was being overly careful and meticulous. Install was tricky (shift collar removal, dynamat/heatshield application, lower shifter box alignment, upper rubber boot install) but it went perfectly. Overall HUGE difference over the stock shifter. The stock shifter is actually very good when you take into account that GM needed to design a shifter to please the masses. It had to have the right balance of give (rubber feeling) for NVH and smoothness while being precise, and it did that very well. It however lacked precision especially in 5-6-7. The MGW is VERY precise, no second guessing if the gear is all the way in or what gear you are in. There are negatives but they are minor overall. VERY much worth the price ($360) and effort to install. I think the majority of driving enthusiasts will no doubt LOVE this upgrade, however I can see how someone who prefers a quieter smoother drive might end up not liking this shifter.

POSITIVES:
1. Shorter throws, about 30% less travel.
2. VERY positive engagement. Mechanical "rifle-bolt" like feeling.
3. VERY precise, 5-6-7 are now where you think they should be.
4. Reduced my cold 2nd gear grind considerably (~50%) most likely due to correctly realigning the shifter.
5. It's genuinely more fun and satisfying to drive now.

NEGATIVES:

1. A bit more effort (~30%) required for the throws.
2. Reverse takes noticeably more effort to get into, about twice as much effort.
3. Shifts have an audible click now, not a nice high-end metal-gated snicket but a somewhat muted plastic on plastic click.
4. If using the stock ****, ergonomics are a bit worse. The **** now sits a bit closer to you (~1") and it's angled back a bit. I would have preferred the stock location.

Last edited by Pineapple; 03-12-2018 at 07:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pineapple:
daleong (09-04-2020), Maxpowers (02-21-2018), MSG C5 (05-26-2018), Topsarge12R (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 AM
Topsarge12R
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:40 PM
Willh876
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple

QUICK REVIEW:
Beautifully designed and machined. Top quality hardware. Install took 4 hours for me because I was being overly careful and meticulous. Install was tricky (shift collar removal, dynamat/heatshield application, lower shifter box alignment, upper rubber boot install) but it went perfectly. Overall HUGE difference over the stock shifter. The stock shifter is actually very good when you take into account that GM needed to design a shifter to please the masses. It had to have the right balance of give (rubber feeling) for NVH and smoothness while being precise, and it did that very well. It however lacked precision especially in 5-6-7. The MGW is VERY precise, no second guessing if the gear is all the way in or what gear you are in. There are negatives but they are minor overall. VERY much worth the price ($360) and effort to install. I think the majority of driving enthusiasts will no doubt LOVE this upgrade, however I can see how someone who prefers a quieter smoother drive might end up not liking this shifter.

POSITIVES:
1. Shorter throws, about 30% less travel.
2. VERY positive engagement. Mechanical "rifle-bolt" like feeling.
3. VERY precise, 5-6-7 are now where you think they should be.
4. Reduced my cold 2nd gear grind considerably (~50%) most likely due to correctly realigning the shifter.
5. It's genuinely more fun and satisfying to drive now.

NEGATIVES:
1. A bit more effort (~30%) required for the throws.
2. Reverse takes noticeably more effort to get into, about twice as much effort.
3. Shifts have an audible click now, not a nice high-end metal-gated snicket but a somewhat muted plastic on plastic click.
4. If using the stock ****, ergonomics are a bit worse. The **** now sits a bit closer to you (~1") and it's angled back a bit. I would have preferred the stock location.
when you say the **** sits closer to you do you mean as in it sits closer to the cup holders? I am thinking of ordering one but I want to know if it actually sits lower than the original ****? I know the original ***** sits high. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Review of the MGW Short Throw Shifter with Stock Knob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Review of the MGW Short Throw Shifter with Stock Knob