C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow 19171 on NPP C7

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:19 PM
BronxBomber
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Magnaflow 19171 on NPP C7

Hey everyone! I've done a ton of searching, but can't find anything specific to this issue.

I purchased a Magnaflow 19171 Competition Series exhaust from a member on the forum, took it to an exhaust shop and they said that they wouldn't be able to install it due to AFM valves likely throwing a code.

I could have sworn that members on the forum have installed this exhaust and zip tied the actuators out of the way, but I wasn't able to get this across to the installer.

Called Magnaflow and they told me that 19171 will NOT work on the NPP Stingray, contrary to what I've read (or thought I've read) on the forum.

Can anyone confirm/deny? Obviously the Magnaflow would know best, as it's their product but wanted to check here before I listed the exhaust for sale.

Thanks!

Last edited by BronxBomber; 02-20-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM
BronxBomber
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BronxBomber
Hey everyone! I've done a ton of searching, but can't find anything specific to this issue.

I purchased a Magnaflow 19171 Competition Series exhaust from a member on the forum, took it to an exhaust shop and they said that they wouldn't be able to install it due to AFM valves likely throwing a code.

I could have sworn that members on the forum have installed this exhaust and zip tied the actuators out of the way, but I wasn't able to get this across to the installer.

Called Magnaflow and they told me that 19171 will NOT work on the NPP Stingray, contrary to what I've read (or thought I've read) on the forum.

Can anyone confirm/deny? Obviously the Magnaflow would know best, as it's their product but wanted to check here before I listed the exhaust for sale.

Thanks!
Have an answer for those qho ever find themselves in a similar predicament.

Called Mike over at Billy Boat (great guy) since I have a PRT exhaust hopefully on the way (long story with a no longer supported forum vendor) and he explained that the primary valves are the ones that will throw a code if they aren't hooked up, secondary valves are the ones that can be moved out of the way.

Looking at the Billy Boat exhaust systems vs the Competition Magnaflow exhausts, Billy Boat's has a much longer pipe that connects further towards the front of the car (assuming at or in front of the rear axle). Magnaflow's hooks up at or behind the wheel, therefore don't reach the AFM/primary valves.

Please feel free to hop in if any of my understanding is incorrect!

So as a result, Magnaflow 19171 for sale!

Last edited by BronxBomber; 02-20-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Fast6.3
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The afm valves are the first ones closest yo the engine you can remove the actuators from the valve but leave them plugged in and zip tie them out of the way as long as the actuators are plugged in you wont get the sel I have the zo6 como exhaust from magnaflow but mine does have the valves for the npp If yours dorsnt jhave those you can remove rhe actuators you wont get a cel you will just not have that function
it sounds awesome but it is loud i have it in stealth mode and its loud maybe cause I have headers and no cats but I love it
Old 02-21-2018, 10:31 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Perhaps the previous owner had a Z06, which does not have the AFM valves. As such no codes. As an example, I replaced my Z06 NPP with Corsas, which disables the NPP actuators. I zip tied the harnesses to the frame. You can still install the Corsas on AFM valve equipped C7s, but you have to retrofit (cut and clamp) the AFM valves to it... Not sure if this can be done with MagnaFlow. Here’s a vid of the retrofitting process (starts at 4:28):

Last edited by sTz; 02-21-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Fast6.3
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine is a 15 base stingray. If you leave the modules plugged in even tho they are not mointrf on the afm valves the computer wont know the diference because the actuator is working. The ecu only monitors the actuator not the valves thenselves they are in there only to remove the nasty drone when the cars are in 4 cyl mode

Get notified of new replies

To Magnaflow 19171 on NPP C7

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 19171 on NPP C7