C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Default Removing OnStar

i am thinking this is the easiest and most positive way to stop onstar diagnostics reporting ? i keep getting notifications from them saying there is an emissions issue, see your dealer asap. well, i have no cats, wonder why i get these msgs. heh.. so i want to stop them from being so nosey and tracking. is the this the best and easiest solution ?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...right-way.html

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
AT T 2D (09-10-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Call them up and tell them to cancel the service.
walleyejack (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I agree, if you don't pay them to send messages to you they won't send messages to you. When you stop your service they send a signal to the module in the car telling it to shut down all communications except for the blue button which can be used to call them and restart the service.

They aren't big brother they are a for profit service that won't give you a thing without you paying for it.

Lets put it this way they aren't being nosey. The system collects your car data once per month and sends you an email with any service issues you may have. My 2003 Tahoe has a constant check engine light due to broken wiring going to the flex fuel sensor. I don't use E85 so it doesn't matter to me that I have the code and it doesn't affect emissions testing so I don't bother fixing it. I subscribe to OnStar and it dutifully reports my code each month when it sends me my email with what they found wrong with the Tahoe. Not a big deal and if I stopped paying them for the plan I am on they would stop sending me emails.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-26-2018 at 02:37 PM.
walleyejack (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

i don t have the service, i don t subscribe and am wondering why i still get the diagnostic notices, was supposed to run out in a year.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

I keep getting paper junk mail trying to get me to sign up for a 3 year discount or trial or some such nonsense. Maybe you got put on this 3 year plan by mistake? I'd just call them anyway and tell them to stop whatever it is they're doing.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:49 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

I keep getting paper junk mail trying to get me to sign up for a 3 year discount or trial or some such nonsense. Maybe you got put on this 3 year plan by mistake? I'd just call them anyway and tell them to stop whatever it is they're doing.
i never signed up for anything, the dealer did i guess. i just don t like being tracked or reading my diagnostics.

i talked to onstar, they say have the diagnostics and all the chit for 5yrs, it is just the base level onstar. I asked them to remove and she esplains it to me, and told her just remove the dealer from getting the reports, they don t need to know what is going on. So i still have the other stuff, which isn t much.

Last edited by walleyejack; 02-26-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by walleyejack
i never signed up for anything, the dealer did i guess. i just don t like being tracked or reading my diagnostics.

i talked to onstar, they say have the diagnostics and all the chit for 5yrs, it is just the base level onstar. I asked them to remove and she esplains it to me, and told her just remove the dealer from getting the reports, they don t need to know what is going on. So i still have the other stuff, which isn t much.
You do know you can open your online OnStar account and change the dealer info. Not sure why you are so concerned about such a nit but all you have to do is delete your preferred dealer and nothing gets to anybody but you. I have my preferred dealer set in my account and they have never ever mentioned anything that might be in any alerts across all three vehicles with active OnStar accounts.

If they receive the reports I am pretty sure they end up in the bit bucket as nobody is going to be interested unless you are standing in line shouting the car isn't running correctly. I doubt they actually have any of the reports since I haven't seen any acknowledgement my dealer has received any notices about any issues that might have shown up on any of my cars.

Bill
walleyejack (02-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 11:00 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
i don t have the service, i don t subscribe and am wondering why i still get the diagnostic notices, was supposed to run out in a year.
OnStar "Basic" Service is included with your car for FIVE years.

The "Basic" Service is what sends you the Diagnostic E-mails every month. It also allows you to lock, unlock, and if equipped, remote star your car from an app on your smart phone.
walleyejack (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:51 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

You can remove the Onstar module fuse # 27 (under the rear cargo floor), but you will also lose the Blue-tooth feature (Same module does both).
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Something I hadn't thought about before now. I bought my 2014 used a few months ago. Is the previous owner still getting emails about it?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

You can also go to chevrolet.com and sign in on the Owner's Link. That will take you to a screen where you can choose to edit your OnStar Settings.

Here is what you see when you choose to edit OnStar:

This is a lot simpler than fooling around disabling OnStar by pulling fuses or cables. If this doesn't work for you then an aluminum foil hat might be better.

Bill
Old 09-09-2018, 11:07 PM
dsword
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist
Default Basic doesn’t include App control for me

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
OnStar "Basic" Service is included with your car for FIVE years.

The "Basic" Service is what sends you the Diagnostic E-mails every month. It also allows you to lock, unlock, and if equipped, remote star your car from an app on your smart phone.
I just bought mine and cancelled extra services after 30 days. I have only basic service and I was warned that I would lose the use of the MyChevrolet app, which kind of bummed me out.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:17 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

My onstar never worked, always had a red light on my mirror from the day i picked it up from the dealer. I was told it was a bad module but my bluetooth works fine. I never wanted the onstar anyway.
thocar (09-15-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

My '18 came with a gazillion years "basic service" of some sort. Who knows, who cares... I just delete their monthly emails and go on.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:03 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Supposedly the terms of service changed after May 1st. My 14 Cadliiac came with 5 years of connected services, and my 16 Vette had 5 years as well, but my 18 GMC purchased in July only came with 30 days of connected services.

Originally Posted by dsword

I just bought mine and cancelled extra services after 30 days. I have only basic service and I was warned that I would lose the use of the MyChevrolet app, which kind of bummed me out.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing OnStar

Quick Reply: Removing OnStar