C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competition seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Competition seats

hey guys I need a little help. I installed a set of competition seats in my Z06. I also installed the hvac controller for heated and cooled seats. The power seats work on both sides as well as the lumbar inflate/deflate. I now have a service airbag light and the heated or cooled option does not work. I have verified the wiring is present so I don’t think that is the issue. Do I need to have the hscu flashed or possibly the bcm? Thanks for your help
Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Assuming from your description your car was originally a 1LZ with no heated/cooled seats.

I would think a dealer trip is required to tell the car's computer that the heated/cooled options are now installed.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I agree that you may need a trip to the dealership to program the car. However, did you check the fuses in the rear electrical center? There should be two to control the heating/cooling. The air bag light can be on because you didn't plug something in properly. It only takes one bad connection somewhere to turn on the light. Did you reuse your original seat belt pre-tensioners or did you use ones that came on the seats? One thing that happened with my car when I installed my race harness lap belt mounts was a pushed pin in the passenger seat electrical connector. The seat worked fine for a month or two and then stopped moving. When I took it in for service the mechanic found a pin in the seat connector had been pushed back when the connector was closed and the mating pins weren't making contact anymore. To see that you would need to inspect both halves of each seat connector to see if any pins are too far back in the shell. PIA because you have to remove the seats to inspect them.

When the engine is running and an adult sits in the passenger seat does the passenger side air bag turn on? You can watch the monitor on the dash. If it doesn't you might have a problem with the passenger presence sensor in the passenger seat bottom. Due to the changes made it is likely the sensor will need to be re-calibrated so the the seat works properly. It isn't supposed to activate the passenger front air bag if a person below about 70 lbs sits in the seat.

Bill
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I agree that you may need a trip to the dealership to program the car. However, did you check the fuses in the rear electrical center? There should be two to control the heating/cooling. The air bag light can be on because you didn't plug something in properly. It only takes one bad connection somewhere to turn on the light. Did you reuse your original seat belt pre-tensioners or did you use ones that came on the seats? One thing that happened with my car when I installed my race harness lap belt mounts was a pushed pin in the passenger seat electrical connector. The seat worked fine for a month or two and then stopped moving. When I took it in for service the mechanic found a pin in the seat connector had been pushed back when the connector was closed and the mating pins weren't making contact anymore. To see that you would need to inspect both halves of each seat connector to see if any pins are too far back in the shell. PIA because you have to remove the seats to inspect them.

When the engine is running and an adult sits in the passenger seat does the passenger side air bag turn on? You can watch the monitor on the dash. If it doesn't you might have a problem with the passenger presence sensor in the passenger seat bottom. Due to the changes made it is likely the sensor will need to be re-calibrated so the the seat works properly. It isn't supposed to activate the passenger front air bag if a person below about 70 lbs sits in the seat.

Bill
^^ Bill is right here. Something either got missed or a connector isn’t making full contact..
Old 03-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Scottcolem
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Bill thanks for the reply. i checked the connections and the fuses, and all fuses are good and in the correct spot. when someone is in the passenger seat, the airbag on light appears, so that works as advertised. im kinda at a loss. i think the bcm may have to be flashed but im not sure.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

You may just need to program the seat modules so they relearn the VIN of the car.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 1lt with gt seats and I bought a used pair of comp 3lt seats. I did disconnect the battery and swap them. I did not get an air bag light. As you said it was great that I gained power lumbar as it was plug and play. I never tried to get the cooling and heated seats to work as I thought it would be a big project. From what I am reading you are saying the plugs for the buttons are present behind the dash under the radio for the seat buttons? I would be amazed if that was true and very happy. Let me know where you are at. I do have an account with pro demand online where I can get some wiring schematics.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:49 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I received a service airbag light also on passenger side. I loosened the seat bolt disconnected wiring harness and reconnected and bolted the seats back down and airbag light went away.

I don’t know if it was that the seat wasn’t bolted down tight enough or if the connection wasn’t snapped fully into place but between the two it solved my problem.

Originally Posted by Scottcolem
hey guys I need a little help. I installed a set of competition seats in my Z06. I also installed the hvac controller for heated and cooled seats. The power seats work on both sides as well as the lumbar inflate/deflate. I now have a service airbag light and the heated or cooled option does not work. I have verified the wiring is present so I don’t think that is the issue. Do I need to have the hscu flashed or possibly the bcm? Thanks for your help

Last edited by KGrant; 03-16-2018 at 09:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Scottcolem (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

ill give that a try. my GM MDI should be delivered today, so hopefully ill be able to program the modules id needed and to also program the shcu to work with my car. ill keep everyone posted

Originally Posted by KGrant
I received a service airbag light also on passenger side. I loosened the seat bolt disconnected wiring harness and reconnected and bolted the seats back down and airbag light went away.

I don’t know if it was that the seat wasn’t bolted down tight enough or if the connection wasn’t snapped fully into place but between the two it solved my problem.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

ill give that a try. my GM MDI should be delivered today, so hopefully ill be able to program the modules id needed and to also program the shcu to work with my car. ill keep everyone posted
Im definitely interested to find out the answer as i currently have 2lt seats in my 1lt. It would be cool to get them working.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I have a 3lt & just did the comp seat back in it with NO problems at all in a bad code or nothing in it. All option in it works 100%...Robert
Old 03-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

the wiring is present in the car, the issue with the heated/cooled option is the modules have to know the rpo code in order to turn on that feature. I just got the GM MDI in the mail, so I haven't had a chance to start trying to program the hscm or the bcm. the airbag module should be straight forward with just a vin program. I am in the Chicago area

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
I have a 1lt with gt seats and I bought a used pair of comp 3lt seats. I did disconnect the battery and swap them. I did not get an air bag light. As you said it was great that I gained power lumbar as it was plug and play. I never tried to get the cooling and heated seats to work as I thought it would be a big project. From what I am reading you are saying the plugs for the buttons are present behind the dash under the radio for the seat buttons? I would be amazed if that was true and very happy. Let me know where you are at. I do have an account with pro demand online where I can get some wiring schematics.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:18 AM
SPIN20
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

the wiring is present in the car, the issue with the heated/cooled option is the modules have to know the rpo code in order to turn on that feature. I just got the GM MDI in the mail, so I haven't had a chance to start trying to program the hscm or the bcm. the airbag module should be straight forward with just a vin program. I am in the Chicago area
Where did you purchase the MdI from?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Scottcolem
Racer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-MDI-Mult...72.m2749.l2649

Originally Posted by SPIN20
Where did you purchase the MdI from?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:43 PM
SPIN20
Pro

Thanks! I'm definitely interested to see if you can turn on the RPO code with that MDI with or without a subscription. Keep us posted!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:38 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts

I think your z06 still thinks that the original seats are installed when in fact it probably is confused with the new seats vin...i think you will have to reflash the car...to make your car rethink the issue with the new seats...also you will need to have the passenger sensor recalibrated...there is a separate plug in that goes into the bladder...i belive that ties into the main harness...if you look under your competition seats there is a pretty large module...if your passenger did sit in the seat and you still get the airbag...then i think that your passenger bladder needs to be recalibrated...because you already put weight on the seat cushion and the indicator still is on...it also depends how much your passenger weighs...you could try another method...this may sound stupid but..get your passenger to sit in the seat...hand them about about 25 to 30 pounds of tools in a tool bag...see if the sensor light goes out...this sounds like a joke...but i had the same problem until...i added more weight until the light went out

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 03-29-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Scottcolem
Racer

thanks for the input the light goes out once someone sits in the seat. I think I definetly need to calibrate the hscm and possibly the bcm I have everything except the software. the software that came with it I cant get to load correctly, so ive ordered new software hopefully it will arrive this week

Originally Posted by Smokeyjr
I think your z06 still thinks that the original seats are installed when in fact it probably is confused with the new seats vin...i think you will have to reflash the car...to make your car rethink the issue with the new seats...also you will need to have the passenger sensor recalibrated...there is a separate plug in that goes into the bladder...i belive that ties into the main harness...if you look under your competition seats there is a pretty large module...if your passenger did sit in the seat and you still get the airbag...then i think that your passenger bladder needs to be recalibrated...because you already put weight on the seat cushion and the indicator still is on...it also depends how much your passenger weighs...you could try another method...this may sound stupid but..get your passenger to sit in the seat...hand them about about 25 to 30 pounds of tools in a tool bag...see if the sensor light goes out...this sounds like a joke...but i had the same problem until...i added more weight until the light went out

Get notified of new replies

To Competition seats

Old 04-11-2018, 12:17 PM
yozi
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Air bag light when installing comp seats

thanks for the input the light goes out once someone sits in the seat. I think I definetly need to calibrate the hscm and possibly the bcm I have everything except the software. the software that came with it I cant get to load correctly, so ive ordered new software hopefully it will arrive this week
Hi, how did you come out with getting the air bag light to turn off after installing your comp seats? I have the same problem and the dealer doesn't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Jim
Old 04-24-2018, 09:12 AM
SPIN20
Pro

I got my hands on a MDI and downloaded the software from the website. I put a call into AC Delco due to the fact that when the mdi reads your VIN it can only calibrate the modules that are associated with your specific vehicle. The person from AC Delco informed me that they will not update my VIN to support heated and vented seats. They couldn't give me a reason why.....
Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIN20
I got my hands on a MDI and downloaded the software from the website. I put a call into AC Delco due to the fact that when the mdi reads your VIN it can only calibrate the modules that are associated with your specific vehicle. The person from AC Delco informed me that they will not update my VIN to support heated and vented seats. They couldn't give me a reason why.....
Because GM only supports cars "as built". It's a product liability and support issue. The don't want dealers or anyone else creating some weird frankenstein of parts that aren't tested to work together. Of course, everybody still does it. But you just need to find workarounds. It usually involves using a VIN from a different car.

Quick Reply: Competition seats