C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought 2017 GS Corvette, not happy with stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

A ported throttle body from one of the forum vendors will also help with the studder at the beginning of a throttle roll. I’m shocked no one has mentioned this yet?? Tony Mamo or a couple other vendors offer them and it completely smooths out the throttle at idle and into the standard releasing of the clutch. Not gonna get into details but do yourself a favor and read up on ported throttle body options through this forum. You won’t be sorry.

Last edited by Stp94; 03-09-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I ported my own throttle body on my 16Z06. Not hard to do and tremendously helped reduce the "dead spot" off idle.

Last edited by 383vett; 03-09-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i have also found that my footwear sometimes causes me to stall. certain shoes,sneakers have sole pattern that makes my clutch control erratic. they get hung up and do not always allow smooth release.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Vittesse throttle controller... problem solved. Seriously... I did the same thing, installed the controller, never again.

It really is a throttle mapping issue...
Anything the Vitesse can 'fix' can also be 'fixed' by just pressing a little harder on the gas. That's ALL it does -- you press the gas pedal down 1 inch, it tells the car you pressed it down 1.25" instead. It's really that simple.

Nothing wrong with modding the car to better suit your preferences with devices like the Vitesse, but just didn't want anyone to get the mistaken notion that there is some sort of 'malfunction' with the C7 eletronic throttle control that needs to be 'fixed' with the Vitesse.

Over 10,000 miles of DD use, and I can state that I've stalled my manual trans C7 only a few times, and every time it was user error... I just wasn't paying attention (in 3rd instead of 1st, etc).
Old 03-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

No problems here. When I first got the car I had to re-adjust a little bit in regards to how I usually drive a manual. But after about 30 minutes I was good. Why not just learn to give it a little more gas? It really isn't that complicated.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:17 PM
Nabush
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

I stalled my GS 1 time (always drove manual)

But I recognize it can be tricky and requires more attention than my other cars from a dead stop.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:52 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

This happens when you try to launch very softly, and I also stalled it more than my other cars and Corvettes. Like I always do, I reduce the gas input as much as I can to reduce the wear on the car during soft launches. It first starts launching nicely, which fools you into thinking it's all good, but all in a sudden, you hit a bizarre torque dip, which stalls it.

If you give a little more gas than you think it needs, everything works fine, but it's still annoying.

Last edited by X25; 03-14-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Anything the Vitesse can 'fix' can also be 'fixed' by just pressing a little harder on the gas. That's ALL it does -- you press the gas pedal down 1 inch, it tells the car you pressed it down 1.25" instead. It's really that simple.

Nothing wrong with modding the car to better suit your preferences with devices like the Vitesse, but just didn't want anyone to get the mistaken notion that there is some sort of 'malfunction' with the C7 eletronic throttle control that needs to be 'fixed' with the Vitesse.

Over 10,000 miles of DD use, and I can state that I've stalled my manual trans C7 only a few times, and every time it was user error... I just wasn't paying attention (in 3rd instead of 1st, etc).

Wrong, well partially wrong! That said it will open further than the actual pedal mouvement.Its because the ecm is tricked the same way ecu wants to trick you! GM program the Throttle mapping bieng extremely smooth , so customer wont wreck in ditchs and also be much easier on the drivetrain! What VC does is trick the signal to the TB so it will actually open as it should be it there was a cable wire, and also will open FASTER than if its was stock controlled by the ECU. So no, its just no a '' press more the pedal'' for the same result!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:57 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Wrong, well partially wrong! That said it will open further than the actual pedal mouvement.Its because the ecm is tricked the same way ecu wants to trick you! GM program the Throttle mapping bieng extremely smooth , so customer wont wreck in ditchs and also be much easier on the drivetrain! What VC does is trick the signal to the TB so it will actually open as it should be it there was a cable wire, and also will open FASTER than if its was stock controlled by the ECU. So no, its just no a '' press more the pedal'' for the same result!
OP: try a mamo ported TB AND the vitesse controller together, believe your issue will be long gone! I know its suck to fix GM terrible throttle mapping!!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray7374
basically for GM to make emissions numbers the car is running hyper lean at idle and if you motor away as you would in most any other car it will stumble.
That's a cool conspiracy theory, bro.

Any car running "hyper lean" would throw off way too many NOX to pass emissions. And it would set P0171 or P0172 anyway.

Could it be the clutch was let out too fast, or is it conspiratorially bad programming on the part of a major corporation? Why the latter, of course!

I've love to see a TPS (throttle angle) vs flow graph for our stock TB on a bench. I want to see the mystical "bog" that people pay others to remove.

Last edited by davepl; 03-14-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
That's a cool conspiracy theory, bro.

Any car running "hyper lean" would throw off way too many NOX to pass emissions. And it would set P0171 or P0172 anyway.

Could it be the clutch was let out too fast, or is it conspiratorially bad programming on the part of a major corporation? Why the latter, of course!

I've love to see a TPS (throttle angle) vs flow graph for our stock TB on a bench. I want to see the mystical "bog" that people pay others to remove.
Very unsensitive tip in and lean at idle contribute to this annoying condition. The engine can be lean at idle without throwing any codes because it falls with in a spec range and still effect driveability. Add the non linear throttle blade opening and a manual trans, stumble, hesitation and stall . God forbid being on a hill and the hill holder actuates and now take off from a dead start with a throttle that has the above conditions.

Last edited by BJ67; 03-14-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:53 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
Very unsensitive tip in and lean at idle contribute to this annoying condition. The engine can be lean at idle without throwing any codes because it falls with in a spec range and still effect driveability. Add the non linear throttle blade opening and a manual trans, stumble, hesitation and stall . God forbid being on a hill and the hill holder actuates and now take off from a dead start with a throttle that has the above conditions.
but its not lean at idle so......
Old 03-15-2018, 07:45 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
but its not lean at idle so......
Higgs, I know you are a very knowledgeable tuner and I spoke in error not really knowing if the LT1 cars are in fact lean at idle or just off idle. The LT1 cars feel as if they need a shot of gas coming off idle like in the old carb days when the accelerator pumps get weak or quits. What I feel at very light throttle application is just that of a lean condition even though it may not be. I have a 16 base V6 manual Camaro also and the throttle response is perfect, as well as a much more linear feel of throttle input and throttle body blade opening.

Last edited by BJ67; 03-15-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:56 AM
01'IndyVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree coming from a C6 Z06 to my 17' GS has been a learning experience. To me there seems to be a bit of delay or lack of throttle response when at idle. I have complained about it since buying it. Guess it's times to read up on the throttle body options... I too have stalled this car more than any other manual transmission car I've driven.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Higgs, I know you are a very knowledgeable tuner and I spoke in error not really knowing if the LT1 cars are in fact lean at idle or just off idle. The LT1 cars feel as if they need a shot of gas coming off idle like in the old carb days when the accelerator pumps get weak or quits. What I feel at very light throttle application is just that of a lean condition even though it may not be. I have a 16 base V6 manual Camaro also and the throttle response is perfect, as well as a much more linear feel of throttle input and throttle body blade opening.
the throttle body opens slowly with low or no vehicle speed and a low idle like RPM because this is what the ECM commands. it is torque control because that's what the calibrators decided (or were told) was necessary.

the camaro, v6 or v8, have a different team of calibrators and will feel/drive/respond differently. apples and oranges of course.

this same effect was noted and discussed in 2013 when new C7 owners realized they could not sit at idle and "redneck rev" their cars in neutral at stoplights and car meets. you can pump the pedal and the throttle blade will hardly move. if you are going 60 mph and put the clutch in and rev it the throttle will move accordingly and as expected.
The following users liked this post:
BJ67 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 01'IndyVette
I agree coming from a C6 Z06 to my 17' GS has been a learning experience. To me there seems to be a bit of delay or lack of throttle response when at idle. I have complained about it since buying it. Guess it's times to read up on the throttle body options... I too have stalled this car more than any other manual transmission car I've driven.
I came from a 08 ZO6 to my 15 stingray 7 speed. Noticed it immediately. I ported my own throttle body and have noticed a difference, but its not gone.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:49 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
the throttle body opens slowly with low or no vehicle speed and a low idle like RPM because this is what the ECM commands. it is torque control because that's what the calibrators decided (or were told) was necessary.

the camaro, v6 or v8, have a different team of calibrators and will feel/drive/respond differently. apples and oranges of course.

this same effect was noted and discussed in 2013 when new C7 owners realized they could not sit at idle and "redneck rev" their cars in neutral at stoplights and car meets. you can pump the pedal and the throttle blade will hardly move. if you are going 60 mph and put the clutch in and rev it the throttle will move accordingly and as expected.
Can a tuner change those calibrations? I ask because my local tuner ended up using fuel table's from the LT1 Camaro while tuning my 1LT 15 stingray . This tuner is big time into the 5th gen and 6thgen Camaro that do serious mods and packages.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought 2017 GS Corvette, not happy with stalling

Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Can a tuner change those calibrations? I ask because my local tuner ended up using fuel table's from the LT1 Camaro while tuning my 1LT 15 stingray . This tuner is big time into the 5th gen and 6thgen Camaro that do serious mods and packages.
in two seconds
The following users liked this post:
BJ67 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
You're not understanding how the ETC works. "Pressing harder on the gas" and "tricking the ECU to open further than actual pedal movement" are, in fact, the same thing.

Vitesse cannot actually change the reaction time of the ETC throttle plate, nor can it change the top speed at which the throttle plate rotates. Talk to the tech guys at Vitesse if you don't believe me. They'll tell you they change nothing beyond the pedal value.

The ETC gas pedal is a dumb device, and has no logic to change... it just provides a value to the car's computer that has a direct correlation to the physical position of the gas pedal. All any vitesse-like device can do is alter that passed value to be more or less. Vitesse does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING beyond seeing the value the throttle rheostat is providing, and adding X% to that value, with 'x' being variable depending on the 'boost' level the user chooses. No code changes, no ECU remapping. Nothing.

Trust me... "pressing the throttle to an actual 50% ETC opening" vs. "pressing the throttle to 40% and having Vitesse trick the ECU to thinking you pressed 50%" are EXACTLY the same thing, and the ETC plate will open to 50% in EXACTLY the same time. The only difference is how far you have to press the gas pedal to get there.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

My clutch engages very high in the pedal travel, and the dumbed-down drive by wire throttle doesn’t help matters when doing an easy pull away from a stop. I probably kill it once every couple hundred starts.

The Vitesse helps, as it reduces the numbness of the factory mapping. Yes it simply magnifies the throttle inputs, but I really shouldn’t have to push the throttle 50% to get 30% of the power the engine can produce, when I’m just loping around town.

The problem I have with the Vitesse, is it makes my car go into limp mode when I do a pull to redline. I’ve had two different ones on the car, and they both cause this.

I added a ported throttle body from Tony Mamo last weekend, and the engine seems more responsive, but I haven’t really had an opportunity to open it up safely yet.

Quick Reply: Bought 2017 GS Corvette, not happy with stalling