Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Let's see just what bolt-on mods will do for a C7 LT1!!

C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see just what bolt-on mods will do for a C7 LT1!!

 
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
  #21  
Streetrod782
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Lindenhurst Illinois
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kdejac
Another good bolt on would be adding a flex fuel sensor and running E85. Did it on my Z51 and getting ready to do it on my Grand Sport. If you are going to tune the car, its worth the extra $300 for the sensor.
I'm very interested in this. Where do you get the sensor and how much HP do you think this adds? Any downside to this mod? Thanks
Streetrod782 is offline  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:25 AM
  #22  
spinkick
CF Senior Member
 
spinkick's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Brighton Mi
Posts: 2,477
Thanked 262 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kdejac View Post
Another good bolt on would be adding a flex fuel sensor and running E85. Did it on my Z51 and getting ready to do it on my Grand Sport. If you are going to tune the car, its worth the extra $300 for the sensor.
E85 with just a sensor? What about the fuel pump and injectors, can they flow enough at WOT without failing or not meeting the load demand? Is the rest of the fuel system ok with that much ethanol, isn't it corrosive to systems not set up for it?
spinkick is offline  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:11 PM
  #23  
kdejac
Junior Member
 
kdejac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

There are venders on here who sell the sensor, if you cant find one, just do a search. most performance shops sell them. You have to get the car tuned to run the E-85 but if you are already getting the car tuned then its worth it. Only downside is your gas mileage suffers a bit but then the E-85 is a lot cheaper than regular gas. You can expect 20-30 HP bump when running the E-85


Originally Posted by Streetrod782 View Post
I'm very interested in this. Where do you get the sensor and how much HP do you think this adds? Any downside to this mod? Thanks

Last edited by kdejac; 04-10-2018 at 02:14 PM.
kdejac is offline  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:13 PM
  #24  
kdejac
Junior Member
 
kdejac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

On a NA car, the fuel system and injectors are sufficient to handle the E-85 even at WOT. I was running it on my Z51 with a mild CAM and still had plenty of fuel. If you are running a FA car, that's a different story. You will have to upgrade your fuel system and injectors. I never had any problems with the rest of the fuel system.




Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
E85 with just a sensor? What about the fuel pump and injectors, can they flow enough at WOT without failing or not meeting the load demand? Is the rest of the fuel system ok with that much ethanol, isn't it corrosive to systems not set up for it?

Last edited by kdejac; 04-10-2018 at 02:14 PM.
kdejac is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdejac For This Useful Post:
L1FRDOG (04-10-2018), spinkick (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 03:39 PM
  #25  
spinkick
CF Senior Member
 
spinkick's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Brighton Mi
Posts: 2,477
Thanked 262 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kdejac View Post
On a NA car, the fuel system and injectors are sufficient to handle the E-85 even at WOT. I was running it on my Z51 with a mild CAM and still had plenty of fuel. If you are running a FA car, that's a different story. You will have to upgrade your fuel system and injectors. I never had any problems with the rest of the fuel system.
pretty cool, and the sensor knows if its e85 or regular fuel and tells the car to adjust based on that? Say, if you go somewhere and need to get 92 octane, your motor will know to dial it back?
spinkick is offline  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:20 PM
  #26  
kdejac
Junior Member
 
kdejac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Yes the sensor knows if you are using straight E-85, 92 Octane or a mix of both and the ECM accounts for the mix percentage. Works great. Just make sure you have someone tune it who knows how to tune for the E-85




Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
pretty cool, and the sensor knows if its e85 or regular fuel and tells the car to adjust based on that? Say, if you go somewhere and need to get 92 octane, your motor will know to dial it back?
kdejac is offline  
Old 04-14-2018, 07:59 PM
  #27  
thrilled
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Kilmarnock Va
Posts: 2,523
Thanked 121 Times in 106 Posts
Default

I have made my C7 1LT base almost into A Z06.700 hP ARH long tube.
thrilled is offline  
Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 PM
  #28  
Streetrod782
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Lindenhurst Illinois
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thrilled
I have made my C7 1LT base almost into A Z06.700 hP ARH long tube.
Could you share your build please?
Streetrod782 is offline  
Old 04-14-2018, 09:54 PM
  #29  
Southeast Beast
CF Senior Member
 
Southeast Beast's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Cookeville Tennessee
Posts: 223
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thrilled View Post
I have made my C7 1LT base almost into A Z06.700 hP ARH long tube.
Not with just a set of longtube headers!What else have you done to it?
Southeast Beast is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 PM
  #30  
L1FRDOG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
L1FRDOG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Stafford VA
Posts: 301
Thanked 153 Times in 84 Posts
Default

On the E85 conversion... I really need to do some more research. I spoke with mt Local Tuner about it. He said if you really want it but said his experience thus far is that he's had several people come in asking for e85 sensors removed. Primarily because there are few gas stations carrying it and the benefit is really not there. Biggest benefit is FI, but on an NA car there maybe be some gain....

I know there are plenty of reasons, but if Chevy could have squeezed out another
40 hp by adding a $299 sensor that they use on other vehicles ...
L1FRDOG is offline  
Old 04-20-2018, 08:25 AM
  #31  
spinkick
CF Senior Member
 
spinkick's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Brighton Mi
Posts: 2,477
Thanked 262 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Well. Tadge actually talked about e85 and said that their main reason for not using it at the time, especially on the z06, was fuel delivery. You need more e85 to deliver the same amount of power, so your mileage goes down, and the fuel pump didnt exist that would meet the demands for the z06 if I remember correctly. GM hates having different parts for different models, it drives their costs up. They also were fighting hard to keep gas guzzler taxes away.
spinkick is offline  
Old 04-22-2018, 09:42 AM
  #32  
bigsapper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
bigsapper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Plano TX
Posts: 1,533
Thanked 232 Times in 172 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by L1FRDOG View Post
On the E85 conversion... I really need to do some more research. I spoke with mt Local Tuner about it. He said if you really want it but said his experience thus far is that he's had several people come in asking for e85 sensors removed. Primarily because there are few gas stations carrying it and the benefit is really not there. Biggest benefit is FI, but on an NA car there maybe be some gain....

I know there are plenty of reasons, but if Chevy could have squeezed out another
40 hp by adding a $299 sensor that they use on other vehicles ...
E85 is good for 30hp. No reason to remove the sensor tho. Just run gas if you can't find E85. This motor with the 5.3L dress in the trucks is flex fuel capable from the factory.
bigsapper is offline  
Old 04-22-2018, 06:26 PM
  #33  
L1FRDOG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
L1FRDOG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Stafford VA
Posts: 301
Thanked 153 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Jet Hot should be emailing me any day to let me know ARH Mids w/Cats are ready for pick up! can hardly wait!
L1FRDOG is offline  
Old 04-24-2018, 12:07 AM
  #34  
63VetteConv
CF Member
 
63VetteConv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 90
Thanked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Great thread...following!
63VetteConv is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 09:13 AM
  #35  
SFCTeach
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 175
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I have a 2017 Grand Sport with:
Vararam CAI
Mamo TB
Mamo MSD Intake Manifold
Borla X-pipe
Livernois 93 Octane Tune.

I do not have dyno numbers and I am having a hard time finding a dyno that I can have lambda recorded for me so I can send back to Livernois for remote tuning. I know a HP Tuners is the best way to tune but since everything I have is bolt on that does not require tuning I am in a good spot. My next goal is the ARH Mid-length catted due to NY emission inspection plus I am reading more and more that the long tubes are really raspy. I like the Xpipe sound with the NPP but would like the benefit of headers and a little more sound. I decided that I will not buy the Mid Engine until 2 years after release so most of the issues can be worked out. So I do plan to send my car at some to Lingenfelter for an engine build that also gives me a warranty. I do occasional trackdays and overall love this car. It is fast and sounds mean!
SFCTeach is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SFCTeach For This Useful Post:
L1FRDOG (05-10-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 04:40 PM
  #36  
spinkick
CF Senior Member
 
spinkick's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Brighton Mi
Posts: 2,477
Thanked 262 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SFCTeach View Post
I have a 2017 Grand Sport with:
Vararam CAI
Mamo TB
Mamo MSD Intake Manifold
Borla X-pipe
Livernois 93 Octane Tune.

I do not have dyno numbers and I am having a hard time finding a dyno that I can have lambda recorded for me so I can send back to Livernois for remote tuning. I know a HP Tuners is the best way to tune but since everything I have is bolt on that does not require tuning I am in a good spot. My next goal is the ARH Mid-length catted due to NY emission inspection plus I am reading more and more that the long tubes are really raspy. I like the Xpipe sound with the NPP but would like the benefit of headers and a little more sound. I decided that I will not buy the Mid Engine until 2 years after release so most of the issues can be worked out. So I do plan to send my car at some to Lingenfelter for an engine build that also gives me a warranty. I do occasional trackdays and overall love this car. It is fast and sounds mean!
I thought for sure you had ported exhaust manifolds already. I pretty much have the same setup as you, although I was going to go with diablew for tuning the car. How do they tune for WOT over the internet if these cars dont have wide band sensors? Do they basically guess and look for any knocking and just dial it back if there is some?

I wonder if Livernois would do tuning for me and let me use my diablo to pull the tune off and on, instead of using their device (which seems to be the same kind of tech, just not as flashy). I dont want to pay them 400 bucks for their gizmo if I already own one that could do the same....

I've heard both good and bad things about those guys. Sounds like you've had a good experience. They are close to be so I could go in to have them tune locally.

Lingenfelter is awesome, one of their VP's is an ex corvette GM exec that also runs a company called Diversified creations. I cant tell if they do vette tuning though.

Last edited by spinkick; 04-25-2018 at 04:44 PM.
spinkick is offline  
Old 04-25-2018, 04:57 PM
  #37  
brettmess24
CF Senior Member
 
brettmess24's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 303
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
I thought for sure you had ported exhaust manifolds already. I pretty much have the same setup as you, although I was going to go with diablew for tuning the car. How do they tune for WOT over the internet if these cars dont have wide band sensors? Do they basically guess and look for any knocking and just dial it back if there is some?

I wonder if Livernois would do tuning for me and let me use my diablo to pull the tune off and on, instead of using their device (which seems to be the same kind of tech, just not as flashy). I dont want to pay them 400 bucks for their gizmo if I already own one that could do the same....

I've heard both good and bad things about those guys. Sounds like you've had a good experience. They are close to be so I could go in to have them tune locally.

Lingenfelter is awesome, one of their VP's is an ex corvette GM exec that also runs a company called Diversified creations. I cant tell if they do vette tuning though.
A wideband sensor is a must have if your going to remote tune imho and worth the extra cost to monitor your engine. HPTuners is also worth the cost of admission. Buy once cry once!

livernois are good peeps and well known in the Ford Raptor world for tuning and supercharging.

Last edited by brettmess24; 04-25-2018 at 04:59 PM.
brettmess24 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brettmess24 For This Useful Post:
bigsapper (04-25-2018), spinkick (04-25-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:41 PM
  #38  
thrilled
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Kilmarnock Va
Posts: 2,523
Thanked 121 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Southeast Beast View Post
Not with just a set of longtube headers!What else have you done to it?
A&A supercharger 7 psi.ARH long tube 1+7/8.tune.crank h.p. 700 to the wheels 500 h.p.
thrilled is offline  
Old 04-28-2018, 05:20 PM
  #39  
Streetrod782
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Lindenhurst Illinois
Posts: 1,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thrilled
A&A supercharger 7 psi.ARH long tube 1+7/8.tune.crank h.p. 700 to the wheels 500 h.p.
Gee 200hp parasitic loss? You should be closer to 600 at the wheels
Streetrod782 is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 PM
  #40  
Avanti
CF Senior Member
 
Avanti's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Bonneville Salt Flats, 223mph Aug. '04
Posts: 5,795
Thanked 593 Times in 423 Posts
Default

28-1/2% loss???
Avanti is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's see just what bolt-on mods will do for a C7 LT1!!


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: