C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see just what bolt-on mods will do for a C7 LT1!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 04:23 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Let's see just what bolt-on mods will do for a C7 LT1!!

I have a 2017 Grand Sport. 9K miles, and started Mods just after the new year. A few weeks ago added Borla catless x-pipe, and a Mishimoto 160 Tstat .... ARH Mid length headers are on way, but have NOT arrived yet, and still need to be Jet-Hot'd.

I did not pull a code/engine light with the Xpipe and Tsat, however, today after adding a new Ported Throttle Body from Weapon X, and a Vararam TCR-7 CAI I finally threw a check engine code..

To see if I could get the car to settle, I went out for an hour drive, plus let the car idle for another hour... temps never above 185, and fan is not kicking into overdrive like it did after I first installed the new Tstat.

Even after that I still have the check engine. I currently suspect the culprit is the Throttle body as it is a totally new part (not my original modded) from Weapon-X. If I was worried I'd take the time to swap it back, but I've already made the mental leap that the tune is coming. At this point I will wait for the new headers (ARH Cat'd Mids) and then that will be it.

I will have the car dyno'd with everything minus the tune, and then with. I'll end with 3 effective numbers a base rear wheel dyno number. a dyno with all Bolt-on's but no tune, and then a dyno with all bolt-ons AND a tune.

Looking for thoughts and I have a question...

Q1. I have pretty much addressed all the common bolt-ons for the grand sport. I haven't addressed FI/Nitrous at this point and even if i did that will be 2-3 years down the road. The missing link I see so far is the Axle-back exhaust system. My question is does the axle back really matter from the tuning POV? I suspect it is almost all sound after headers and xpipe.

I ask the above question because I would like to get the tune now and play over the summer. Come end of August at Carlisle I'll make my pick of either the Borla Atak, or Magnaflow Competition. I am just not sure I'd need to tune again after adding only the axle back to this setup.

Thoughts?

Deeds, Not Words!
L1FRDOG
Old 04-08-2018, 06:26 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

You are correct exhaust will be for sound only no need for tune on that piece of the mod list at all. Robert
The following users liked this post:
L1FRDOG (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:32 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

If you're going to tune it, you might as well send the ARH mids back and get the long tubes...
The following 2 users liked this post by lakemg:
Chazzmania (04-09-2018), thrilled (04-14-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:31 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
If you're going to tune it, you might as well send the ARH mids back and get the long tubes...
Old 04-08-2018, 10:52 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lakemg
Absolutely appreciate that thought. However, i am in one of those stricter states. No need to debate, I simply choose to "emulate" a more stock look from the casual observer (inspector) and have "Cats (albeit hi-flow) in the stock locations, as opposed to the long tube headers with cats further down the pipe, (which some states allow... but not mine).

I currently feel the need that Mid-Length are the max headers I can get. So, the long tube options are not there for me. One day maybe, but not now, so suggestions to move that way are not helpful.

ARH Mid-length are a middling solution that is not full length, but an in between... I dont need a solution for MAXIMUM HP... I want to show folks who are trying to gain REAL hp on there limited emissions options what true avenues there are....
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

You'll love the sound of the mids. I have the ARH mids, x pipe, weapon x ported throttle body, CAI and never threw a code. I eventually had them put an HP tune on the car mainly to get rid of the V4 crap but it did wake the car up. Debating wether getting a ported intake is worth the money. The Atomic one is expensive but claim like 15 hp.
L1FRDOG (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:43 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
You'll love the sound of the mids. I have the ARH mids, x pipe, weapon x ported throttle body, CAI and never threw a code. I eventually had them put an HP tune on the car mainly to get rid of the V4 crap but it did wake the car up. Debating wether getting a ported intake is worth the money. The Atomic one is expensive but claim like 15 hp.
Sweet! sounds like we are on the same page.... Everything I've read on the throttle body seems to come back to throttle response... i never actually saw a Hp Gain.... although I reiterate... I am, not here to debate 1-5 hp here/there.... I am, out right going to stipulate... NONE vs, All Bolt-on, vs All Bolt-on AND Tune. Though I reserve the right to add more... example I may choose to add AFM from Tune.... but not there yet....
Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 AM
Scudz
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 192 Posts

Did you already get the baseline data or are you going to return the car to stock before the dyno? Is your car an m7 or a8?

With what you have done already, did you notice any seat of the pants differences?

Last edited by Scudz; 04-09-2018 at 02:46 AM.
L1FRDOG (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:51 AM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scudz
Did you already get the baseline data or are you going to return the car to stock before the dyno? Is your car an m7 or a8?

With what you have done already, did you notice any seat of the pants differences?
Unfortunately, I don't have the absolute raw numbers for my specific car. I also don't intend on taking car back to stock just to test. What I currently am looking at is a variety of folks who've posted stock Dino results. I am running a M7 and as an average I think we are looking at 410 RWHP /411 TQ as the "baseline". I don't have any preconceived notions about what I have, or where I will be. I just want to see if adding this "stuff" to an already pretty dang awesome car is really worth it. My ultimate goal is to hit about an even 500 rwhp and strictly do road course/ hpde, so I'll look to focus on susp/tires/brakes...

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 04-09-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:21 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Good news, and Better news!

The Good - Took the vette out a nice leisurely highway drive. After 40 miles the Check Engine light is officially off. So that makes 160 Tstat / Vararam CAI / Weapon-X Ported Throttle Body and Borla X-Pipe... No code/no check engine light.

The Better - ARH Headers arrive TODAY on UPS truck "out for delivery!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

Did you happen to unplug the MAF sensor with the battery not disconnected? I have seen a Check Engine light happen in this scenario on 2017+ models. I don't think any of the other mods would cause a CEL. The only other possibility that may be happening is the car is running lean with the Intake and throwing a CEL. But you need to find out what the CEL is for.
L1FRDOG (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:34 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
Did you happen to unplug the MAF sensor with the battery not disconnected? I have seen a Check Engine light happen in this scenario on 2017+ models. I don't think any of the other mods would cause a CEL. The only other possibility that may be happening is the car is running lean with the Intake and throwing a CEL. But you need to find out what the CEL is for.
Yes unplugged the MAF and did all mods without disconnecting battery. I had heard that you needed about a 35-40 mile drive on the Highway to reset. Looks like that took care of it.... again, the Headers are in. So I figure 3-4 weeks and install/tune.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Scudz
Pro

How did the car drive with the current bolt ons? Did you notice improved performance?

Look for poppacap posts. He’s got some impressive dyno and track numbers with his bolt ons.
L1FRDOG (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:31 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scudz
How did the car drive with the current bolt ons? Did you notice improved performance?

Look for poppacap posts. He’s got some impressive dyno and track numbers with his bolt ons.
I cannot give a definitive answer. There is a difference but I haven't really gotten on it. For one, the engine light was on and I was trying to get the reset, then when it went off it started snowing ... and yes I was driving... crazy spring weather here in Washington DC...

I'll keep you posted, but I can say the xpipe is awesome . The sound is night day
Old 04-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Scudz
Pro

Thanks, still light snow in Ohio today. I’m waiting for better weather to order some parts.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 594 Likes on 348 Posts

Yea,keep me posted man,I’m planning the exact same route!!! Just hard to swallow that header expense!!! I’m by no means loaded!!!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:31 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I think your 410/411 is optimistic, good luck and post those dyno numbers

Get notified of new replies

To Let's see just what bolt-on mods will do for a C7 LT1!!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I have the VR Cai, Katech ported tb, debating the edgy vette intake, I'll most likely have diablew tune it. What do you guys think? Is the intake worth the effort?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Southeast Beast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
I have the VR Cai, Katech ported tb, debating the edgy vette intake, I'll most likely have diablew tune it. What do you guys think? Is the intake worth the effort?
I'm curious as to how this works out for you as I am planning to go a very similiar route,Good luck!!!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:04 AM
kdejac
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another good bolt on would be adding a flex fuel sensor and running E85. Did it on my Z51 and getting ready to do it on my Grand Sport. If you are going to tune the car, its worth the extra $300 for the sensor.
L1FRDOG (04-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Let's see just what bolt-on mods will do for a C7 LT1!!