C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Core Shifter-Waste of Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Key is making sure you align it properly.

The hardest part for me was fitting the rubber boot back on...
I watched the install videos on their site for tips. Extremely easy install. Aligning in pretty easy too.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:17 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I watched the install videos on their site for tips. Extremely easy install. Aligning in pretty easy too.
Stuff some micro fiber towels in around the shifter while your screwing it down. I know a dumb *** that dropped the allen wrench and had to take the torque tube plate off to get it out.

Last edited by L82Brake; 04-20-2018 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mako72 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 07:22 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by L82Brake
Stuff some micro fiber towels in around the shifter while your screwing it down. I know a dumb *** that dropped the allen wrench and had to take the torque tube plate off to get it out.

That's why they make fiber optic cameras, and magnetic pick up tools...
The following users liked this post:
JRE-C6 (03-09-2023)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by L82Brake

Originally Posted by rrsperry
That's why they make fiber optic cameras, and magnetic pick up tools...
Exactly what I was going to say.

Good news is my MGW shipped already and will be here on Tuesday. I'll likely install it Wednesday evening.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:42 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

I just did the MGW install this morning and tore it apart last night. Nothing was hard except me trying to install the lower plate upside down. Kept wondering why the video had the shaft backwards and it would not go in to the shifter linkage. LOL

I really didnt see the reason to struggle with the rubber boot to get it to fit around the other part it seemed to be ok just laying on top of it. I also reused the other rubber cover and just cut a notch for the shifter and most of the top off of it for more noise / heat. Works great. I need to get it up on the lift now and do my RedLine D4.

Shifting was a huge difference already. I wanted to do the D4 after driving so I feel exactly what the fluid change will feel like.

I will let everyone know.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:58 PM
paulrichy
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a core/hurst on my c6, will never go back to the stock one, love it on power shifts.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Midnight
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The core is a step up from stock if you don't mind heat transfer and metal on metal whine.

I've installed shifters about 10 times on corvettes, MGW for the most part.

I got my new MGW last week, ordered the "Gripper" **** which would be my first. Love it. No comparison and cost 150.00 with **** more than the core. The nicest piece about the Core I bought was the Hurst handle which Core doesn't make.

I'm trying to find their address now to send this junk back but it is not listed anywhere on the interwebs.

Does anyone have an address? I know it's a guy with a CNC in his garage but he still has to have an address.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

I got my MGW with the stock C7 **** installed yesterday. It's definitely a change. The notchy-ness of the M7 when cold still exists, its actually slightly more pronounced with the MGW. However, once warm, it shifts like butter and is much better than the stock shifter. There is no change in noise or vibration from the shifter compared to stock. 5th-6th and 7th are no longer out in nowhere land. It is very precise. I like it, no regrets.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,711 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Here's my personal choice for the stock C7 shifter: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-shifter.html

Stock shifter + ZIP polyurethane bushings (to replace the soft factory rubber bushings).

No additional noise or vibration, but with more precise and direct shifts. This is the first sports car since my S2000 where I haven't done a complete aftermarket shifter swap.

Last edited by Kracka; 04-25-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:56 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I got my MGW with the stock C7 **** installed yesterday. It's definitely a change. The notchy-ness of the M7 when cold still exists, its actually slightly more pronounced with the MGW. However, once warm, it shifts like butter and is much better than the stock shifter. There is no change in noise or vibration from the shifter compared to stock. 5th-6th and 7th are no longer out in nowhere land. It is very precise. I like it, no regrets.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:14 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight
The core is a step up from stock if you don't mind heat transfer and metal on metal whine.

I've installed shifters about 10 times on corvettes, MGW for the most part.

I got my new MGW last week, ordered the "Gripper" **** which would be my first. Love it. No comparison and cost 150.00 with **** more than the core. The nicest piece about the Core I bought was the Hurst handle which Core doesn't make.

I'm trying to find their address now to send this junk back but it is not listed anywhere on the interwebs.

Does anyone have an address? I know it's a guy with a CNC in his garage but he still has to have an address.
I found mine on eBay.It had the company info and email on it.

Quick Reply: Core Shifter-Waste of Time