C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any open source tuning platforms for a 2018 car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 AM
ashmostro
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Any open source tuning platforms for a 2018 car?

I am a newbie here and also new to Corvette, having just purchased my first one, a 2018 Carbon 65 Grand Sport. I come from a world of Germans, BMW to be exact. I self-tuned my last two bimmers using an open source platform and a laptop. I’d love to do that again to tweak parameters like CAGS, active fuel management and throttle sensitivity while paying a real tuner to mess with the engine map itself.

What open source platforms, if any, exist for this vehicle?

If none, are there commercial tuning devices that allow the end user some freedom to play with key parameters?

Thanks!
-Ash

Last edited by ashmostro; 04-17-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Nothing. There is zero end user support. You want to know the PID for something? Well, it was hard to figure out for the first guy, it should be hard for you too too. That's kind of the attitude 'round here. There's some occasional posturing to flaunt basic knowledge, but there is very little information sharing. Like everything, there are few exceptional members.

But there are great aftermarket tools in HPTuners and (though I've not used them) others as well. Worth the price of admission because they've really sorted it out well.

Take a look at the demo of HPTuners VCM Suite, I think you'll be pleased.

Last edited by davepl; 04-17-2018 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ashmostro (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Nothing. There is zero end user support. You want to know the PID for something? Well, it was hard to figure out for the first guy, it should be hard for you too too. That's kind of the attitude 'round here. There's some occasional posturing to flaunt basic knowledge, but there is very little information sharing. Like everything, there are few exceptional members.

But there are great aftermarket tools in HPTuners and (though I've not used them) others as well. Worth the price of admission because they've really sorted it out well.

Take a look at the demo of HPTuners VCM Suite, I think you'll be pleased.
How do I meet said “exceptional members”?!

Ant
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 PM
ashmostro
Racer

That's very disappointing to hear. I'm used to user communities that build on knowledge bases and result in really powerful outcomes!

I will definitely look into the package you mentioned. I used to muck around in tunerpro back in the day, and lately been spoiled by Bootmod3 on the BMW F-series platform. Guess I have another tool to learn!

Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 07:05 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

HPTuners is what you're going to want to use..
Old 04-17-2018, 07:10 PM
ashmostro
Racer

Yeah I already downloaded the demo - looks like exactly what I need. I see CAGS, throttle tables, the whole nine.

I'm sure our ECMs have flash counters - do Chevy service centers always look at them as a point of order when servicing the car? BMW will sometimes go as far as blacklisting a VIN if it sees a flash. Not sure what GM's attitude is about that.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Good deal. Yeah, they do have one. I've never heard of anyone having an issue because of it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. At one point EFI Live offered an option to basically not update the flash counter. HP Tuners refused to do that though. I'm not sure if EFI Live still does that or not, I don't really follow their setup very much.

I'd ask on the HPTuners forum if you want to see if anyone over there has ever had any issues.

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-17-2018 at 07:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ashmostro (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:23 PM
ashmostro
Racer

Yeah, good call. I did register on the HPT forum already so I'll probably do that. I'm also going to check out EFI live then.

So I guess our ECMs are not encrypted yet? I heard that the newer cars (mine is a 2018) would be.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Encrypted doesn't mean they can't get in, just makes it tougher. I'm not sure what happened in the 2017'ish timeframe but I know they became tougher to get into. For newer models you used to have to go through a whole process of sending in a file and having HPT's support people add support for your specific vehicle, then you'd download a new version of VCM Suite the next day and it'd work (presumably because of the whole encryption thing I'm guessing?). That isn't the case anymore though, the process happens automatically, though you do need to be connected to the internet when doing the initial read of the vehicle

I'm not sure if EFILive has an option for 2018+ GM models, but it's worth checking out. Just make sure you can get access to everything you want to play with, HPT is really good about adding support for new parameters if people ask for it.

I'm also a mod on their forum so maybe I'm biased

I haven't spent a lot of time on C7's yet though, for better or worse I suppose

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-17-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 PM
ashmostro
Racer

That's helpful, thanks.

I ask about encryption because for *years* BMW's F-series DME's could only be bench flashed because a physical modification had to be made to the board to make it allow reflashes outside of the factory. Only in the last year or so did the open source community crack the encryption allowing for at home flashing without removal of the DME. And even then, it purportedly took a BMW employee *leaking* the data necessary for a whole hacker community to reverse engineer the OBD unlock and then the tables themselves. Crazy town.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:39 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Gotcha. Yeah I used to have an E60 so I know a little bit about the BMW scene, but not much. I was mainly just playing with INPA and stuff like that, not really changing anything to the level you're talking about

I think I'm the only person to have ever rebuilt the engine out of a 545i though . And I did a ton of write ups on CIC retrofits, harnesses, etc. Ah to be young again.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=731948

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-17-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

GM can, and will "blacklist" you depending on how the dealer feels the day you bring it in. If the car shows a lot of mods, they can blacklist certain parts of your warranty. Same goes if they pull the checksum counter on the tune.

The 2017+ cars are certainly harder to tune. I think they got the 2017's figured out. Not sure if the 2018's are possible yet. I know the 2019's are NOT possible due to strong encryption that has not been broken yet.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

2018's Corvette's are tunable. Not sure whether 2019's will be or not.. I'm sure someone will figure it out sooner or later though
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts
Default HP over EFI

I have both EFI Live and HP Tuners Pro, HP for the win hands down. They are always 1st to the game with new tables and even now I don’t think I can scale the axis on coolant temp vs fan % in efi live, but it’s not a problem with HP. Also, people that are “seasoned” Tuners messing with the gen5 GM stuff for the first time, WILL run into problems with these Torq-based controllers. Modifiers for EVERYTHING, Like IAT vs timing retard vs day of the week

Yeah, I’m making fun, buts it’s just what you will have trying to learn your way around these things. That said, several of us CF members are also members on HPT forums, and you’ll find many are more than willing to help, given that you post tune files and datalogs.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 PM
ashmostro
Racer

Tuning question: is the downshift Rev match default (ie startup) setting a tuneable one?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:08 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ashmostro
Tuning question: is the downshift Rev match default (ie startup) setting a tuneable one?
Pretty sure that is controlled in a section of the bcm that is not reachable with any current tuning software. And the only thing in the BCM we CAN get to is a few MIL codes to disable them.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I would think that would be in the ECM. The gear position sensor on the transmission and the clutch sensor both tie directly into it.

Get notified of new replies

To Any open source tuning platforms for a 2018 car?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:29 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I would think that would be in the ECM. The gear position sensor on the transmission and the clutch sensor both tie directly into it.
I have not seen that anywhere in the ECM tune.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Maybe that just means they haven't decoded it yet?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Possibly but I wouldn't count on having the ability to change that

Quick Reply: Any open source tuning platforms for a 2018 car?