C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I dropped a piece of plastic into the block :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 04:54 AM
FabseN
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I dropped a piece of plastic into the block :(

Hey there,

I had a strong suspicion for misfiring and wanted to check sparkplugs, iginition cables and so on. Therefore I had to remove the cover of the ignition coils on passanger side. There is a a pipe from there leading to the oil filler neck. I guess it's for the oil ventilation. I gently pulled the plug but a piece of the plastic cracked and fell inside. I didnt fire up the engine because I am afraid of wrecking something. The piece is about 2x4mm. Is this dangerous and is there anything I can do? I've attached a picture because my english is not the best.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Haha, I think everyone on this forum has done this.

Is it just one of the small sides that clip in the hole? If so don’t worry about it. It’ll melt.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
Haha, I think everyone on this forum has done this.

Is it just one of the small sides that clip in the hole? If so don’t worry about it. It’ll melt.
Robert
Old 04-23-2018, 11:07 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

If you are morally certain that only plastic went in (and that does seem the most likely) then you're ok. Plastic will melt and deform and not harm the cylinder.

Now if any -metal- (even aluminum) got in there, that's different.

I actually ran a motor once that had a nut in it (which of course I did not know). That turned out very ugly!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

Pretty sure that pipe goes into the valve cover. You could take off the valve cover and get the plastic piece out. I don't think it will get hot enough sitting ontop of the head under the valve cover to melt the plastic. There is a good chance it will stay there forever and not hurt anything. But there is also a chance it could find it way into the oil drain pathway from the cylinder head and slow down the oil return. Unlikely that even that would cause an issue.

Me personally, I would pop the valve cover off and get the plastic out. But you're probably fine either way.

P.S. That pipe is a PITA. The only way that I have found to get it out without breaking the tabs off on the inside is to pull straight up with a firm motion.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM
FabseN
6th Gear

Hey,

thanks for the replies. We poped off the valve cover but there is another "wall" inside the cover. There is no way to get the piece out (if it's there) but there is also no way for the piece to go further.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:53 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by FabseN
Hey,

thanks for the replies. We poped off the valve cover but there is another "wall" inside the cover. There is no way to get the piece out (if it's there) but there is also no way for the piece to go further.
Haha wish I got to the this thread before you did that as I just did the exact same thing on Saturday. Same results. I actually pulled the cover and set it on top of the intake. Looked everywhere for the plastic piece. Said screw it, then while putting the cover back on is the first time I looked behind it. DOH, there's a second wall with small slits in it.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 04-23-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:34 AM
FabseN
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Haha wish I got to the this thread before you did that as I just did the exact same thing on Saturday. Same results. I actually pulled the cover and set it on top of the intake. Looked everywhere for the plastic piece. Said screw it, then while putting the cover back on is the first time I looked behind it. DOH, there's a second wall with small slits in it.

But I feel better now, it was worth a try. Anyone knows the part number of this plug? I don't like broken parts in my car.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Nabush
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Had the same issue. I removed the cover, used my $40 wifi endoscopic camera to locate the plastic part, removed it with a vacuum cleaner

I do not agree with the others, removing this plastic part is important, it can plug one oil channels....not likely but it can...

This fitting is unremovable without breaking something by the way...

Last edited by Nabush; 04-24-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

we had that happen at my shop, pulled the valve cover and got it back
Old 04-24-2018, 10:51 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
we had that happen at my shop, pulled the valve cover and got it back
I shook the cover as hard as possible and couldn't hear anything or get it to come out of the hole. I guess I could have plugged all the vents and flushed it out with something. But I hardly doubt it will make it through the small vent slits.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 AM
FabseN
6th Gear

I shook the cover as hard as possible and couldn't hear anything or get it to come out of the hole. I guess I could have plugged all the vents and flushed it out with something. But I hardly doubt it will make it through the small vent slits.
This! At that moment I was curious about the part being inside the cover. I didn't see (edoscope) anything and couldnt hear any rattle inside while dancing samba with the cover

Get notified of new replies

To Help! I dropped a piece of plastic into the block :(

Quick Reply: Help! I dropped a piece of plastic into the block :(