C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does"Service Keyless Entry System" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:13 PM
Angel1010
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does"Service Keyless Entry System" mean?

I have a 2015 Z51 LT2 Corvette with 22,900 miles on it - this morning a "Service Keyless Entry System" message came up on the dash after I started the car. What does this mean and will I have problems starting and entering the car if I don't have it fixed? The message only appeared once and I have been able to start and unlock the car.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:46 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

When in doubt replace your fob batteries. Battery life seems to be 3 years. Don't sweat it unless the error comes back.

Ron
Old 07-22-2022, 12:39 PM
steven rusch
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keyless start system service...

I have been trying for almost a year to get this same issue repaired. I have a new car battery (OEM) new fob batteries. It is today at my local chevrolet dealership for the fourth time with this issue. It was supposed to be done yesterday. They called me and said that they had to replace the "module", then called me later to say that did not fix the problem, and that today they would replace the antenna for that system. I will post later with results.
best wishes!
Steve
P.S. I have a 2014 LT3 Z51. This means that the seat position, steering wheel position, and proximity sensor to unlock doors will not respond. All these will work when you use the fob to unlock, get into the car and use the buttons.

Last edited by steven rusch; 07-22-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I am not sure how reliable that message is. I get it several times a year in my car and I have had the car for 6.5 years and it is still on the original battery. It happens just after I start the car and the seat, steering, and mirrors have all adjusted to the Driver settings. Everything seems to work including car entry and so I just ignore the message. I think part of it may be that I keep the fob in my pocket and that sometimes the car doesn't read the fob correctly once I am seated in the car.

Bill
Old 07-24-2022, 10:15 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've had similar issues but mine says to replace fob battery even though it's fine.Ive had to put fob in the column slot once or twice. Carry in pocket as well. Fob battery not the issue.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 276 Posts

I have noticed that the FOB battery only needs to loose ~.1 - .2 volts to stop working and need a new one. It doesn't take too much of a voltage drop to stop working. So if you measure the battery with a meter and see 3.0 to 3.1 volts you might think that it should work.

If you use a meter that puts a load on the battery you might see a larger drop, like pushing one of the buttons on the FOB. Just measuring the battery with a DVM meter does not put any load on the cell.

They seem to die in pairs even though the second one is never used.

Both of my FOBs are stored in a tin can so they can't communicate with the car.
The following users liked this post:
H Watkins (07-26-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 10:53 PM
abflyboy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be good to get a Global DTC check done to see if there may be an issue with one of the passive antennas.
The backup antenna is the only one used for vehicle starting so that isn't an issue if you didn't have to put the fob in the fob pocket to start the engine.
I use an RF tester to test passive antennas and often find a weak antenna challenge signal OR the passive antenna does not properly receive the challenge response signal from the fob corresponding (sometimes) with a history DTC for that particular antenna.
I don't know how dealers are in your area but in PNW, dealers are required to run a SAVI pre scan on every vehicle that comes in the shop. It's quick and easy and you might be able to breeze in and get one done.
Also, I have found many times that aftermarket LED lights and some USB chargers emit frequencies that wreak havoc on passive entry vehicle systems.
The following 2 users liked this post by abflyboy:
Elk (07-29-2022), RonC7 (07-29-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To What does"Service Keyless Entry System" mean?

Quick Reply: What does"Service Keyless Entry System" mean?