C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new front rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Floridamark
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Time for new front rotors.

Gyrodisc on the way. Hope these will last Saturday at Sebring.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2018, 12:56 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Those rotors should be good for another day or two. I wouldn't push much harder than that though. Measure the thickness with some calipers
Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Those rotors are FINE. Cracks come from rapid heating and cooling typically seen on track. Until the cracks reach the edge of the rotor there's nothing to be alarmed for IMO.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Floridamark
Instructor

Originally Posted by The HACK
Those rotors are FINE. Cracks come from rapid heating and cooling typically seen on track. Until the cracks reach the edge of the rotor there's nothing to be alarmed for IMO.
Great to hear. I hope the new XP20 dont fry them in one day. Should I stop using cooling fans after a session on my brakes?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VP-20-1-...0-BL/303793378

Last edited by Floridamark; 04-24-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:22 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

lol I ran OEM rotors for 2 years that looked a lot worse than that.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Floridamark
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
lol I ran OEM rotors for 2 years that looked a lot worse than that.
Great to hear. Will shoot pics after this weekend.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Floridamark
Great to hear. I hope the new XP20 dont fry them in one day. Should I stop using cooling fans after a session on my brakes?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VP-20-1-...0-BL/303793378
yes. You want them to cool down as slow as humanly possible. 30 minutes between sessions is PLENTY of time to cool a rotor. It also only blows air on one side of the rotor, which creates more thermal stresses.

I run Hawk DTC70 and mine are fine after 6 or 7 days. I wouldn't worry. What tires are you running?
Old 04-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Floridamark
Instructor

Originally Posted by village idiot
yes. You want them to cool down as slow as humanly possible. 30 minutes between sessions is PLENTY of time to cool a rotor. It also only blows air on one side of the rotor, which creates more thermal stresses.

I run Hawk DTC70 and mine are fine after 6 or 7 days. I wouldn't worry. What tires are you running?
Hooiser R7
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Floridamark
Should I stop using cooling fans after a session on my brakes?
Sometimes it doesn't really matter, because MOST of the rapid cooling and heating occurs on track. Especially tracks with long straights followed by heavy braking zones then followed by more straights. West coast tracks like Laguna Seca, Auto Club Speedway, these two tracks are brutal on brakes, but they also have straights following nearly every single heavy braking zone.

The end result is high heat build-up, then immediately followed by some rapid cooling. Conditions like this causes the exterior surface of the brake rotor to cool while the interior remain hot, causing the surface to "stress" and fracture. Small cracks like this is normal. It's when these small cracks start to extend, connect, and reach to the edge of the rotor surface is when you should start thinking of replacing them, because once it reaches the edge, the crack will grow rapidly as the heat and cooling expansion/contraction cycles now can come into full effect.

It's sort of like tempered glass, where the surface tension is high because the pressure caused by rapid cooling of the molten glass creates incredible tension inside the glass, thus making them incredibly strong...But a small crack will shatter the glass. On rotors with high carbon count, imagine the edge of the rotor as the glass surface. Once the cracks reach the edge of the rotor the cracking will accelerate rapidly. But as long as the cracks aren't connecting and aren't reaching the far outside edge, they're as strong as bull.

Typically low carbon cast iron don't suffer from this because they're more "pliable" than high carbon iron. However, high carbon iron is desirable for rotor applications because they're stronger and last longer. Also, heat treated rotors tend to suffer LESS from micro cracks like this too, at least that's been my experience from a few decades ago. Applying cooling fan to hot brakes in paddock will exacerbate this. I wouldn't do the cooling fan deal unless you're suffering from serious fluid fade issues.

Last edited by The HACK; 04-25-2018 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Floridamark (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:50 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

There's uneven cooling causing thermal stress and thermal shock from cooling too fast.

The fan is goig to make both worse.

Get notified of new replies

To Time for new front rotors.

Quick Reply: Time for new front rotors.