C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does GM ever file-fit rings on hand-built engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Does GM ever file-fit rings on hand-built engines?

My engine builder friend just tore down an LS3 crate motor. It was ticking loudly, and it turns out part of #7 piston top is missing (mercifully it went out the exhaust I guess).

Looks like one injector was plugged up and the cylinder got very hot (lean) which must have butted the rings and popped the top off.

But I was really surprised because I thought factory ring end gaps were always big and sloppy. But they're apparently tight enough to butt under extreme circumstances.

So even though this is an LS3, it got me to wondering about the hand-built LS motors:

- Do you they ever file-fit rings or just install them out of the box pregrapped?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Well there's a range in the spec and I don't think (handbuilt == blueprinted).
Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

As far as I can tell hand built is sort of a misnomer. They use a lot of assembly line tools to do the assembly and parts are prepacked to make the process easier. They sure don't let people that pay to assemble their own engine file piston rings and I doubt the regular assemblers do either. Mainly hand built means one person built it Vs several people using the same tools standing along side an assembly line.

Bill
Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

The LS3 rings aren't loose enough to overcome the heat expansion from an extreme lean condition. Same reason you can't lay a lot of boost on a stock LS3/LS7/LT1 and expect longevity.

Also, I don't know the answer to your original question. I would normally think no, they are not hand filed/measured, but we're talking a crate motor here. Not all ring sets are the type that need to be hand filed either. Either way, my first sentence still applies.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Short answer... no.

Get notified of new replies

To Does GM ever file-fit rings on hand-built engines?

Quick Reply: Does GM ever file-fit rings on hand-built engines?