C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear latch bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:17 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Rear latch bracket

i have a 2014 premier edition and the back latch no longer functions. it still locks and unlocks but it won’t push the hatch up enough to get a hand under to lift it up. the dealer said the rear compartment lift window hatch bracket needs to be replaced. i can get the part online for $60 but the dealer wants $616 to replace it including parts and labor. and my extended warranty will not cover it. something about brackets are not covered. i was wondering if anyone has any experience changing out this bracket. if so, what does it entail? i’m pretty handy but i don’t know if i’m up to the task of doing it. i just think $616 is excessive for replacing a bracket. here is the part in question. https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...pport-23209194
any info or advise is appreciated.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Never had a problem with my 2014.

Here's a How-To for removing the rear interior trim panel. This should give you access to the bracket:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-assembly.html

You might also get a labor estimate from your favorite body shop if you decide not to do the repair yourself.

Good Luck!

Ron
Old 04-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I'll chime in even though I never had this issue.

I have seen quite a few posts of people experiencing the same problem. I think the cure was to adjust the hatch somehow. I could not find their posts to help you.

But if I understand your post you are saying that the Stealership is recommending replacing the bracket and not the latch mechanism too? That bracket is some substantial steel and no moving parts! Unless the car was whacked in an accident, I don't see how that bracket could move or break! Maybe they meant to replace the latch itself?

Last edited by Flame Red; 04-26-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Subscribed.

Whenever its cold outside I have to press my trunk release button a few times to get it open. I can hear it click and unlock but it doesn't push up. I haven't seen a solution to this so far.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I'll chime in even though I never had this issue.

I have seen quite a few posts of people experiencing the same problem. I think the cure was to adjust the hatch somehow. I could not find their posts to help you.

But if I understand your post you are saying that the Stealership is recommending replacing the bracket and not the latch mechanism too? That bracket is some substantial steel and no moving parts! Unless the car was whacked in an accident, I don't see how that bracket could move or break! Maybe they meant to replace the latch itself?
the hatch bracket contains a spring and a piece that is acted upon by the spring to push up the hatch a bit. the locking mechanism is a separate piece and functions as it should. my hatch is not installed properly as the seams are unequal in width. the hatch rear edge on the passenger side slightly touches the rear deck. i suspect the misalignment may have put undo stress on the bracket and over time caused it stop functioning. i’ll try and find the posts you refer to. if you do find them, please post the url/s here.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:24 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mmorse
the hatch bracket contains a spring and a piece that is acted upon by the spring to push up the hatch a bit. the locking mechanism is a separate piece and functions as it should. my hatch is not installed properly as the seams are unequal in width. the hatch rear edge on the passenger side slightly touches the rear deck. i suspect the misalignment may have put undo stress on the bracket and over time caused it stop functioning. i’ll try and find the posts you refer to. if you do find them, please post the url/s here.
have t been able to find the adjust the hatch posts either. my hatch needs to be turned counter clockwise about. 16th of an inch to free up the rear corner that is getting hung up. i see the hatch is attached to a hinge bracket on either side. i’m wondering if it can be adjusted there. i took a
pic of bracket and how the latch attaches. could it be that the thing in the middle of the two bolts is a way to adjust the hatch alignment?
Old 05-20-2018, 05:53 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

got the hatch working again. how long it will last is anybody’s guess but the lift bracket kicks the hatch up about an inch now. not necessary to remove all the cargo space panels. i just lifted the rear floor carpet a bit and the rear panel can be pulled out enough to get to the latch bracket. saw the problem and made the adjustment. and to think the dealer wanted $600!

Get notified of new replies

To Rear latch bracket

Quick Reply: Rear latch bracket