C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A worrying question I have

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 PM
bfppt1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A worrying question I have

Hello All, thank you for reading this. I am sorry to have to ask this but I just don't know the answer, nor do I know the process to get an answer.

This is about a 2014 C7 with very low miles. Its been tapped three times very lightly and fixed to near perfect condition.

Occasionally I will read about a Stingray with a bent frame and that is no good. My question, which again, I am sorry to have to ask, is is there a way to take the car to a dealer or a body shop, ask the right questions, and find out if my frame is pristine, and not bent in any way?

That's it and I bet the answer is somewhere on the internet; I just cannot find it.

Thanks to all who answer.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:15 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

You dont want a car thats been in 3 accidents. Thats the simplest answer. If they are selling it for like $25k, thats a different story.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-20-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

GM publishes dimensions on multiple frame-based measurement points for use in frame straightening and accident repair.

Any good body/frame shop can do the measurements and tell you how close your frame is to those standards. However, it is MUCH more difficult to say if that frame is indeed pristine, or if it has been slightly bent, and then jigged back into spec.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

"...fixed to near perfect condition." I agree, unless a "give-away" price walk away... too many out there to mess with, imho.

Also, the frame can spec out okay and even look okay, but who knows about the rest that cannot be so easily/readily inspected? It's a complex car.

All the best.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:41 AM
bfppt1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To A worrying question I have

Quick Reply: A worrying question I have